Just Add Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Just Add Water Reviews

½ February 13, 2015
A steady story of a dysfunctional desert town which is well shot and has a nice simmering comedy style to it whilst retaining a larger social narrative. It's perhaps a too idyllic conclusion in the end and feels forced.
May 16, 2014
Are you kidding?! What a great movie that has fallen by the roadside. Hugely satirical characters with deadpan narrative, it tells the story of a guy with a dystopic blur of the American dream which begins to collapse. Danny Devito plays an inspirational magnate and suddenly the wheels are in motion for a revival. Set in a surrealistic, lazy southwestern tundra-town, this film is a portrait of secluded oddities. With a staggering protagonist melancholy like that of Lost In Translation and a barrage of devolutional characters in the vein of Idiocracy, this movie has the comedic awkwardness of Me, Myself and Irene wrapped in semiotic charm. The plainness of life is contrasted by remarkably accurate exaggerations, the morose bankruptcy of our character matched with a heartwarming revival. Definitely not hard to watch for lack of intrigue, the only reason I can see that this movie didn't do well is because it is emotionally inconsistent, both the humor and the feelings are effective but feel erratic, as if each takes away from the other and refuses to mesh. Not to say it wasn't thoroughly enjoyable if you can bear the eccentricity. Jonah Hill plays the son and the McPoyle brothers from Always Sunny are in it, in case you didn't have enough reasons to watch yet.
½ October 25, 2013
Should you decide to commit suicide before watching this movie you will be assured of not being further depressed by the main content. Danny and the Tortoise bring an awakening to the story with their usual whit and charm. The film has a mild upbeat ending with the Tortoise making a steal. Nibbles: Lettuce and Tomato Salad.
½ March 29, 2013
Just Add Water manages to be a feel-good comedy, with over-the-top, humble characters; reminiscent of Office Space, though not as good. Ray Tuckby trying to fix his once great town, is surprisingly emotional, and is something I can get behind. With a movie this endearing, it's a shame that the last half-hour fails to be as good as the rest of it; yet, the ending is still nice, but it could have been better if the lead-up wasn't so anti-climactic. Danny DeVito even lampshades how easy it was. Still, this movie is worth a watch; you can find it on Crackle for free, on PC, tablets, PS3, and Xbox 360.
January 13, 2013
It's just a sweet and simple indie. A dime a dozen.
½ January 6, 2013
I don't know why people don't like these types of depressing comedies more. I guess cause it's not LOL funny, but this movie was creative and very entertaining.
½ November 20, 2012
Good cast, but not great movie!!!!
½ October 9, 2012
Little slow in the middle but overall not bad
September 24, 2012
A different story, but entertaining; somethings you wont be expecting. Overall decent cast. Melissa McCarthy is hysterical.
August 3, 2012
A very quirky romantic comedy. The acting is ok, but the fact that it shows a dysfunctional family and a rundown town is great, but the plot is sketchy. The fact that the teenagers run the town practically is weird, but at the same time makes sense because all the folk are lazy or not strong. The film really shines with Devito and I enjoyed it, but it's not phenomenal. Check it out on crackle right now
June 12, 2012
Slight but charming.
May 19, 2012
From the beginning of the movie, I found myself thinking, "WTF?" But I stuck it out. Glad I did. I had a few laughs and a feel good ending.
May 7, 2012
"Maybe, the American dream *does* still exist. Even for my friend Ray. And even in a place like Trona."
This is like one of those movies that I'd catch at a crazy hour on a sunday night on bbc2 when they assume people will be in bed before they decided that putting the news on all night was more cost effective or ceefax pages, anyway, it's a subtle comedy of the absurd, which is is an oxymoron but that suits what this film does.
Ray is a happy guy who not even finding out his teenage son isn't his and is in fact the offspring of brother who has been having a 18 year affair with ray's wife can dampen his eternal hope in the inherent good of mankind. Jonah Hill plays Ray's son and is just being the character he always plays, DeVito is great but underused but the best stuff comes from the interaction between the two main characters and the good natured character traits that only the display, like kindness, common sense and a true love that neither has shared up until now despite it long being built up.
It's not a perfect movie by any means and it's easy to see why it never got it's cinema release but it's well worth two hours of anyones time.
½ May 3, 2012
Simple story, but ok, I guess. The town in the movie sucked ass. Pretty depressing. No frozen pizzas because the truck broke down.
½ May 3, 2012
99% Miserable to watch, 1% good ending. If I had been alone, I would have returned it after the first few minutes. Don't waste your time.
½ May 2, 2012
This movie is really good and funny! Jonah Hill is not that funny in this as he is in his other movies!
May 2, 2012
Not horrible, but not great either
February 28, 2012
Difficult to make it all the way through this movie. The last 20 min were the best part... because I knew it was going to end soon!
½ January 28, 2012
An amusing slice of life film from small town Americana. Sporadically funny and bitter-sweet at times, buoyed by some good and restrained performances.
December 10, 2011