The Duchess - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Duchess Reviews

½ December 6, 2014
The story of Georgiana, the 18th century duchess of Devonshire, comes to vivid life in this beautifully crafted period piece. As the great-great-great-great aunt of Princess Diana (who Georgiana is often compared with), Kiera Knightley continues to mature as a woman and an actress. No other actress (and very few other actors) of her generation reveals so much in a close-up, in a glance, in a shift of her jaw. Supermodel looks aside, this lady can act. And she's not alone. Ralph Fiennes plays the Duke not as a irrational monster, but as a man very much of his time. He's a realist, and Fiennes slowly lets us see how confined in his position in society he really was--as much as Georgiana was. Saul Dibb's impeccably mounted film is gorgeously detailed, with wonderful costumes, stunning sets, perfectly natural-looking lighting, all deliciously photographed and laced with a delicate score. It doesn't search for deeper meaning in Georgiana's life, and appropriately so. That would be pointless. But as a lush and lavish period piece, this film is superb
½ October 25, 2014
It's okay if it's your sort of thing. If you don't like Victorian drama films then you won't like it.
October 12, 2014
Better than the Other Boleyn girl I shall say
August 14, 2014
Exquisitely done with lavish settings, clothes, places...Stellar cast!
½ May 16, 2014
Another solid movie and period drama, but really has nothing to distinguish itself from better and more memorable films.
April 19, 2014
This story kept lingering on my mind!
February 20, 2014
Keira Knightley and Ralph Fiennes are sublime.
December 21, 2013
I never liked Keira Knightley in the Pirate of the Caribbean movies but in this movie... I still don't like her.
December 19, 2013
you just wanna shoot the fuck twice in the head, then execute him while burning on fire.
½ December 18, 2013
The script may be a little weak in parts but three heavyweights of the silver screen carry through the movie effortlessly. Fiennes is perfectly cast as the irascible Duke of Devonshire, Knightley as his beautiful, headstrong wife Georgiana, and Rampling as her mother. Well worth a watch!
December 9, 2013
The ending was bitter sweet to say the least, and the whole movie has this whole melancholy about it. I wish they showed the process of how the Duchess became the 'It Girl' instead of just talking about it.
December 7, 2013
Such a mixed up life!
November 16, 2013
Quite good. Another impressive role by Knightley who is becoming an acclomplished actress and we have no problem barracking for her as she draws us in. One feels for the main character throughout and the feeble attempt by the Fiennes Duke to portray himself as a victim of circumstance at the end serves as a ploy to ram home the message really well.
October 24, 2013
Subtly feminist?? Do you want to be a fucking woman? At any period of time??
September 29, 2013
Parmi un des films les plus plate que j'ai vu !
September 22, 2013
It's an historical piece and it's good, although of all the historical movies I've seen I still prefer "The Other Boleyn Girl"
The costume department did a great job.
September 6, 2013
love this movie wish they would make more movies like this
August 31, 2013
"The Duchess" recounts the patriarchal mistreatment of women in 18th century England.
August 30, 2013
I can't believe it took me so long to see this excellent film. It's a totally unbelievable, yet believable due to the times. The acting was great, but the fact that this story was true and probably rings true to couples all over the world still is just way too much for me!