The Duchess - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ August 29, 2013
meh.......
but I did like Ralph Fiennes
½ August 28, 2013
Keira Knightley is great and amazing!
the movie is good but the plot does not add anything new..
and the dresses wow i want one!
July 21, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised by the cinematography and Keira Knightley's touching performance. I was very moved by the story of the Duchess.
July 19, 2013
I don't know, but I find period pieces rather similar to each other. Perhaps it's the art direction or the production and costume design. This film was just as such but with a rather interesting plot, though not entirely unfamiliar. I thought it was just a typical British period piece.
July 16, 2013
I enjoyed watching Keira Knightley in Pride and Prejudice, Atonement and now this wonderful period piece biopic.
Every man in England is in love with her- except her husband - quote.The marriage between Lady Georgiana Spencer and William Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire, was an arranged union, coaxed by her mother Lady Spencer.She is trapped in a cold, loveless marriage, her husband played marvelously by Ralph Fiennes whose main interests is his hunting dogs and a male heir. Its an emotional drama worth watching especially if you are a fan of historical fare
June 2, 2013
Superb acting. Somewhat predictable plot. Gorgeous settings and costumes.
May 16, 2013
Decent acting, but the plot was so worthless it bored me to death.
May 11, 2013
A very interesting story and i found it to be quite the page turner as much of a attention grabber
½ May 6, 2013
A complex story with the ring of historical authenticity. But in the end we are asked to accept the brutal villain as the mere product of the 18th century system. Sorry, but this is evil without excuse.
April 27, 2013
I loved this movie.
Great costumes, performances and great story.

If you like period pieces this will be one of your favorites.
April 19, 2013
WANT 2 SEE REALL REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD!
April 14, 2013
Wonderful story of power and self-controlā?¦ for the love of her children. I hope they appreciated her love, devotion and sacrifice for them. Magnificent landscapes, costumes and interiors. You are easily transported back to that era.
½ April 12, 2013
Perfectly done and terribly sad. Kiera Knightly is brilliant in this role.
½ March 29, 2013
I really liked the movie and also I loved Keira Knitley (i hope she will give us more of this and less of pirates) and my favourite Ralph Fiennes. Every feeling is very strong, image and performances very good, as well as costumes.
March 24, 2013
I liked the movie very much. Keira is brilliant, and the Ralph too.
March 22, 2013
Sumptuous visuals, but wholly underwhelming. Keira Knightley is Keira Knightley. Dominic Cooper is mis-cast.
½ March 18, 2013
I can't stand Keira Knightley but besides that the story was just plain boring.
terris85017
March 15, 2013
(2008 Director: Saul Dibbs) Georgianna, Dutchess of Devonshire (18th Century) A movie of truths & hard reverses and betrayals others say! SOund to me like a "MUST SEE"!! Review to follow....
½ March 7, 2013
I have no idea what the point of this movie was other than to serve as another excuse to put Kiera Knightley in period dress. But the costumes were fun.
March 6, 2013
cant remember it. but know ive seen it.