The Duchess Reviews

• Jan 31, 2020

Remarkable story about the Duchess - well beyond her years!

Remarkable story about the Duchess - well beyond her years!

• Dec 09, 2019

Knightly was tremendous as usual. Very good story, direction, cinematography and cast

• Jul 20, 2019

Not a chick flick and should appeal to most people.

Not a chick flick and should appeal to most people.

• Jun 01, 2019

What a sad story....money really does not always translate to happiness.

What a sad story....money really does not always translate to happiness.

• Apr 16, 2019

It's hard to like the main charachters so you kinda dont care what happens to them.

• Jan 25, 2019

Period films have one of three functions: to show us how things were once better, to show us how things were once worse, and to tell us something about our contemporary society. This one is arguably the second, but is actually the latter. Whether you agree that the problem is men, or society, or male society, there is and are only one victim - the girls. And this film hammers that message home like all our lives depend on it. Even women who betray one another are victims. And so in this era of what De Beauvoir might have retermed The First Sex we get this chocolate box monstrosity. A star for the score and half a star for some of the acting (Knightley not dreadful for once, but nothing for Fiennes, who dials in his usual tight-lipped performance, and Cooper who has gracefully sunk into oblivion since The History Boys).

• Jan 11, 2019

Knightley gave an affecting performance as her probable best yet while gesturing towards genuine subtle feminism, along with Fiennes performing nicely though instigating the unresolved male privilege effects as a counter comment that had roughen the artistically not-so-distant fact-based melodramatic atmosphere. (B) (Full review TBD)

• Dec 25, 2018

One of those films that makes you jump down a Wikipedia hole straight afterwards to find out how much of it really happened. Very evocative of the aristocratic society of the time - very good.

• Apr 13, 2018

If you watched the trailer, you have seen almost the entire movie. The Duchess was extremely similar to Anna Karina in terms of storyline. Anna Karina's artistic approach completely elevated the movie for me. The Duchess lacked anything special and fell flat for me.

• Apr 11, 2018

Lukewarm on the movie because of the crazy immorality that I am sure was reality. Outstanding costumes and sets, well acted.