Angel and the Badman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Angel and the Badman Reviews

August 6, 2015
130921: Great film. Now one of my favorite John Wayne films.
March 31, 2015
My favorite Wayne movie ever. The only part i did not like is the fictitous line about Quirt helping Wyatt Earp shoot it out with the Clanton bunch in Tombstone. If that hog wash was not in the movie it would of gotten 5 stars.
April 20, 2014
Gail Russell makes the title badman, gunfighter John Wayne, into a better person. It?s a competently made western, but it?s pretty corny and predictable. Wayne and regular western supporting in players including Harry Carey, Paul Fix and Hank Worden elevate a pretty familiar story.
February 17, 2014
Good western with a spiritual/moral theme, though his love interests father may as well have been played by a plank of wood.
½ May 19, 2013
More my husband than me but watchable as all John Wayne films
May 6, 2013
An Interesting Look at A Somewhat Unique Western Tale Focusing on Relationships As Opposed to Simple Gun Slinging Action.
March 7, 2013
A wounded "Quirt Evans" (John Wayne) is injured even more as his horse collapses near the house of a Quaker family, who take him in and treat him.

He catches the eye of the daughter in the family (Gail Russell), and he is obviously attracted to her. But, he just can't shake his past as outlaws and the law alike try to get them for whatever reason.

Now he has to look at himself and try to figure out what to do with his life.

I have been watching a lot of movies starring John Wayne lately on Hulu, and this is easily the longest one so far. It is also one of the best ones on the site.

For the first time in his career, Wayne is pulling double duty in this film. First, he is the leading man, as well as a first-time producer. Since I have no clue as to a producer's job, all I can do is judge him on his performance in front of the camera. And I have to say he does a pretty good job.

What makes this Western unique is that it focuses on the personal conflict of "Evans," while throwing everything familiar to Westerns in. The focus is on "Evan's" personal struggle more than the typical plot of a Western.

Violence in this movie is fairly tame in this movie, even by the standards of the time of its release. You get some shooting, and one fist fight (which mostly remains off-screen), and one attack from behind with an object from their surroundings. The violence is tame most likely because of the morality of the plot.

I was not impressed with the romance subplot. Actually, not the way it was handled. I found it to be pretty weak, and not given the screen time it should have had. I think that the two involved were rushed in the storyline, and not given time to develop the on-screen relationship.

I was also not impressed with the chemistry between Wayne and Russell. They had some chemistry together, but nothing impressive. In fact, I wasn't impressed with much of the chemistry between many cast members.

I did not like many of the supporting cast, many of which didn't have time to develop. The child actor in this movie was pretty annoying, and seemed to be there just to throw out some complaints as some poor comic relief that, for me, didn't even produce a chuckle.

Unlike other recent movies I've watched starring Wayne, I didn't hear any problems with audio. I did have a problem with the picture going fuzzy at times. It appears that Hulu got a bad print to upload. Also, unlike the other movies I've seen in the last couple of weeks, it appeared there was more music in the film. I didn't find any of the music helping in enhansing scenes, and can't remember any particular piece of music except a song being performed on stage in a bar scene.

Parents need not worry about the violence in this film. It's pretty mild. You can watch this movie with no problem. In fact, parents will like the moral of this story.
February 22, 2013
Pleasant and entertaining Western
½ December 17, 2012
This was John Wayne's first attempt at producing a movie. It's just a polished up version of the B-movie westerns he was in during the 1930's. The story is a little better, the acting is a little better, but the action is about the same. It came out after World War II when all the guys were coming home from war and starting families. I guess they were saying, "Ok guys, it's time to put your guns away and be nice." Or maybe they were saying was that the only thing needed to cure Post Tramatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) was a good woman. It has as a theme "Good Girls like Bad Boys." It's also a morality play about violence is bad, guns are evil, and pacifism is a good thing. However, at the end of the movie the bad guys still get shot. I'm not sure John Wayne really believed any of that but he must have thought it would make a good movie.
December 7, 2012
Could be worth a viewing, would like to see it sometime in the future.
½ November 18, 2012
It shows John Wayne as weak but I'm a girl and it kinda was a girly western flick. So I liked it but not really. I'm iffy about the whole thing. I would own it still.
August 6, 2012
Mom's Favourite, but Never Mine

This is the time of the year when I come closest to giving up on the Library Project. Every year, I end up with a stack of movies I might enjoy if I saw them at a different time of year, but which just seem like so much effort to get through in the summer. One of the movies which came in today is one I've been looking forward to for some time; I saw it in high school, and I remember that it was really good and really important. However, it's not exactly lighthearted fare, so I don't know. I am not actually putting anything on hold at the library this week, because I hardly watched anything last week and have more than twenty DVDs just kind of piled up. So what I am doing right now, because it is too late for me to watch anything and still get a review in before midnight, is reviewing a movie I haven't seen in many years and actively disliked in the years when I was likely to have watched it. And yet.

John Wayne is Quirt Evans, and he is indeed a Bad Man. A gunslinger, in fact. One night, he is wounded, and he is taken in by a Quaker family. The angel is their daughter, Penelope Worth (Gail Russell). Her family takes him in and cares for him. They have vaguely heard of him, but they believe that all men can be salvaged to the side of Good, and besides, if they didn't take him in, he would die. He recuperates slowly, planning to go back to his wild ways just as soon as he's able. Penelope is pretty, but he's had pretty girls before. However, the gentle ways of the Worths start to work on him, and the better man inside Quirt is slowly being won over. The fact that he's fallen in love with Penelope doesn't exactly hurt matters. However, like any gunslinger, he has unfinished business left to face. It's possible he's putting the Worths in danger just by being there. He wants to go, but he cannot yet, and anyway, there is the whole thing about how he is in love with Penelope.

You must understand that this is all based on my memories from having seen this movie years ago. I'm not sure when the last time I saw it was, in fact, and I strongly suspect I was still living with Mom at the time. It was her favourite movie, or her favourite John Wayne movie, or her favourite of the John Wayne movies we owned. Something. All I can tell you for sure is that we watched it a [i]lot[/i]. I may not remember everything, but I can definitely remember certain of the set pieces--Penelope explaining to Quirt about why Quakers use "thee" and "thou." Taking him to meeting with them. A final showdown in the streets of a dusty Western town. I remember that Mom, who was my troop leader at the time, worked out that she could make us watch it, I think as a requirement for some badge or another. My troopmates were displeased about this, but they were nowhere near as upset as I. I wanted to make myself sick enough so that I didn't have to watch it, on the grounds that my troop would probably take out their irritation on me. It didn't work.

So why am I writing a review some twenty-five years later? Why do I own a copy? Well, to answer the last question first, I saw it for three dollars and do all sorts of random things out of a sense of nostalgia--or anti-nostalgia. And the first has no little to do with the fact that I don't have anything in backlog, which is why I missed the last two days, and it's ten o'clock and I haven't even turned my TV on today. Things like that. But also, there [i]is[/i] the fact that I can so perfectly visualize certain of those moments in the film. To me, and this is that nostalgia thing again I'm sure, [i]Angel and the Badman[/i] is the Ultimate John Wayne Western. It's a perfect encapsulation of literally dozens of other films, not all of which I've seen. Roger Ebert once asked Jimmy Stewart if he felt he could play a villain, forgetting he had already, but even when John Wayne played a bad guy, he was redeemed by the girl at the end.

Honestly, it surprised me to find out that this was a 1947 movie. In my head, I put it as one of those forgettable films he made before [i]Stagecoach[/i]. John Wayne was an actual star at this point, one of the biggest box office draws in Hollywood, and this really doesn't seem like a movie for a star. It seems not unlike the town, really--small and grim and dusty. I had mentally pegged it as about ten years earlier. The days when he was kind of drifting through Hollywood, hoping to catch someone's attention and make it as a star, finally. It's the first film John Wayne produced, but that was more a show of muscle-stretching than anything else, I think. I keep telling myself that I will watch this movie again, but I'm not sure it's true. Perhaps this movie is more perfect in my head, even though I don't like it, as an example of an archetype. I have given it a positive review mostly because I think it is a symbol of something, though whether that is to me or to John Wayne, I am not sure.
July 13, 2012
A solid early western and one of the first that Wayne produced himself. The arc that Wayne's character follows is nothing new and has since been used more times than anyone can count but it's refreshing to see Wayne play a character with an arc as opposed to the roles he would become synonymous with where the characters are already the clean cut all American types. Waynes path in this film runs from notorious and wanted outlaw to a man content to put his guns away and settle on a farm. Mainly for Wayne fans only but there is still a lot to be enjoyed in this even for the casual viewer.
May 21, 2012
I'm never quite sold on the love story, but I do enjoy tales of redemption, westerns, and John Wayne.
½ May 13, 2012
This is a better than average John Wayne western. Gail Russell does well as his love interest. It's a simple story, and that's what makes it work.
April 13, 2012
its ok if you like john wayne movies
April 1, 2012
I absolutely love most all of John Wayne's movies. He was a very good actor and the best there was back in the day!!!
½ April 1, 2012
Bradley: "So that's Quirt Evans. He's quite a man with the gals. He's closed the eyes of many a man... and opened the eyes of many a woman."
½ March 31, 2012
Pretty good western about a man who sees the error of his ways, but the slow pace of the thing kind of kills it. Thankfully it has John Wayne, Bruce Cabot, and the beautiful Gail Russell in it, so it's definitely worth watching. It's just not quite as exciting as an average John Wayne western usually is.