Book of Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Book of Blood Reviews

April 28, 2016
When one starts to daydream and think of other things then this borefest while watching the movie then you know you've wasted your time.
April 8, 2016
What a complete let down, this movie had so much potential and in the end it was all wasted. The acting although not completely awful was very lacking. Any sort of story development or tension was replaced by nudity and sex scenes. The effects are extremely poor, now in most cases horror movies do not have the best of effects but when your story and characters are so uninteresting because you never took the time to develop them it makes the poor effects so much more apparent. The movie ends more like a comic book film then a horror. The only reason I give it one star is for its potential this movie had such a great idea and I was looking so forward to it. Especially since it has the Clive barker name. I wish I could write a good review but in my heart I could just not enjoy this movie.
½ January 13, 2016
I do not understand why you would use the wrap around story from such an amazing book series to make a movie. This was a bad move.
½ January 2, 2016
Adapted from two different Clive Barker stories, Book of Blood tries hard to be a brutal, original, and bizarre horror film. Ultimately, its premise doesn't hold up to the running time of the film, and the film repeats its cool catchphrase from the story about five too many times. An interesting and admirable endeavor that just doesn't quite hold up all the way. Still, it is a fun, fairly brutal blend of eroticism and violence, the supernatural and body horror that will no doubt entertain horror fans for an evening.
October 19, 2015
It must have been a 'short' story from Clive Barker as this is a long and drawn out feature length version of it, which is probably the weakest element of the film as there's lots of periods with little stimulus. It's a shame as the reveal telling all is not too bad.
½ October 14, 2015
That was actually pretty rad. Better than I was lead to believe. Felt more faithful than even when Barker directs himself...
½ August 28, 2015
I really wanted this to be a good movie, but it wasn't. If you are a Barker fan then you still need to watch it.
July 4, 2014
Well, that's about how I figured this one would go...
½ June 14, 2014
i get easily nervous or disgusted and i found this boring. it's not even a thriller. it's like a dramatic, ghostly romance. if you like naked jonas armstrong you will enjoy this
February 4, 2014
Book of Blood works... if you are a fan of Clive Barker. It may be one of the most faithful adaptations of his work Barker wasn't himself responsible for.
See, unless you are familiar with Mr. Barker and his works, and the way he thinks Book of Blood might not quite work for you. It's part haunted house story, part body horror, part tale of religion/belief and all Clive Barker.
Fans of the maestro should truly get a kick out of this one.
December 7, 2013
No pace whatsoever & very mediocre acting...thus marring a great story.
½ September 22, 2013
not bad, not good. just a movie for watch one time.
July 20, 2013
Another wonder creation from the beautifully and twisted mind of Clive Barker ...10/10.
June 5, 2013
Introduction
The 'Book of Blood', written by Clive Barker of the Hellraiser Movie Franchise is another film that bares witness to self mutilation and pleasure but in this case it is not of the individuals free will. I must state that Clive Barker, even though having written the book did not in this case direct or produce the movie.

Plot Synopsis
Would one consider this film predictable, I thought not. Contained in the film were some original ideas and thought provoking at that. Without giving too much away, the film is centred around a paranormal investigator, a technician and a supposed psychic. The premise is that a house they set off to investigate was home to a brutal murder. What they soon discover is that it's not merely a simple haunting but an intersection, a highway for the dead.

Themes
The main theme of the movie is based around the paranormal, primarily death and body mutilation.

Visual Elements
I must admit that some elements concerning the visual aspect were generic with nothing special to write home about. With that said, I found it worthwhile when it came towards the end of the film which I found visually creepy.

Conclusion
If you are into the paranormal in a darker way then I would recommend this film. It's creepy in some parts and thought provoking in others. A word of warning though, it is not in the same league as Hellraiser and can be slow moving at times but for what it's worth, stick it out till the end till you pass judgement. I myself found it below par.
May 14, 2013
A descent ghost story. It moves at a pretty slow pace throughout, and there wasn't as much blood and gore as I was expecting. But there are some scary/creepy scenes and a few jumps here and there. This was a really strange and awkward movie, but it's unique and unlike any other movie I've seen in a while.
April 24, 2013
started in a pretty usual and normal way..but the end was something completely unexpected, weird and surprising!
½ January 28, 2013
A young man recounts the happenings in a Scottish haunted house and how come they have led to him having bloody writing all of his flesh.

This indie British horror film is based on two of Clive Barker's early short stories and the author co-produced the movie. The story starts off promising enough with a creepy back-story and the usual weirdness that any fan of Clive's work has come to expect and with the look and feel of the movie I half expected a Cenobite to appear in the background. But as things progress the story becomes more and more lacklustre and the earlier creepiness is replaced with a very boring haunted house tale that never really goes anywhere and the ending is a complete anti-climax. The acting by the small cast is solid enough and the cameo by fan favourite Doug Bradley is a nice touch. The production values are incredibly high, and the special effects are incredibly well handled. Apart from one short sequence (that is really quite squishy) the gore is quite underplayed, but the look of the ghosts is very nicely done. All in all this started off as a very promising film that should have kept it's earlier sense of uneasiness all the way through.
December 27, 2012
yayks!!! kakakilabot rin toh...
December 18, 2012
2 hours of my life I can't get back
½ November 14, 2012
perhaps reading an extensive string of bad reviews, i watched book of blood with lower expectations than the common film I view, this being said, now that i have seen it, i truly cannot fathom what all the negative reviews are about. I really enjoyed this film. its story line kept me captivated and its characters took a few turns i didn't expect, and in a few scenes the movie actually scared me. i knew what type of horror romp i was in for and wasn't disappointed. If you're not the harsh moviegoer, have a flick through this book of blood.