19% Transcendence Apr 18

Deception Reviews

hunterjt13
hunterjt13

November 24, 2012
An accountant finds himself enmeshed in a blackmail scheme and a mysterious list of liaisons.
This is just your run-of-the-mill, hackneyed thriller. There aren't any surprises, and the few moments of lascivious fun aren't enough to lure anybody except a twelve-year-old who has never seen a boob before.
Even the performances by Ewan McGregor and Michelle Williams feel phoned in, and Hugh Jackman has never been worse.
Overall, there are worse films, but there is nothing that sets this film apart from its peers.
Apeneck F

April 14, 2012
Like a Youtube video farce of a thriller, but with highly recognizable faces, this one plays an old game of bait and switch and hopes you'll play along and pretend to be surprised. I doubt you will. Although very stylized looking, ultimately an empty exercise.
ScoopOnline
ScoopOnline

December 8, 2009
There is alot about this Movie what I really liked and enjoyed but one has to see themselves to make their own minds.

Imagine just one line changes your life. "How z it going?" And you are in middle of "conspiracy. Now its up to you whom you TRUST!
BEACHBUNNI
BEACHBUNNI

April 27, 2008
A disconnected accountant finds his mundane life injected with a new sense of urgency after striking up a friendship with a charismatic attorney in director Marcel Langeneggers sexually charged action thriller.~! Jonathan (Ewan McGregor) is an accountant who has lost his passion in life,and when his powerful new lawyer friend, Wyatt (Hugh Jackman), introduces Jonathan to a salacious underground sex club called The List, the dejected accountant soon believes he has found the woman of his dreams (Michelle Williams).,however, his newfound happiness takes a turn for the worse, when Jonathan is named the prime suspect in the womans disappearance as well as the theft of 20 million dollars
hmmmmmmn are you free tonight? that is the question........
Lady D

January 22, 2009
Deception was a no expectations held sort of film for me and yet it made a surprisingly good watch.

Not entirely original, certainly predictable in a lot of parts, but easy watching. An entertaining thriller.
Conner R

January 15, 2011
Hugh Jackman gives a flawless performance as the evil mastermind Wyatt. He is the reason people should see this movie. Ewan McGregor on the other hand is terrible, easily the worst performance he's ever given. He was just so pointless. This movie should have focused on the life of Wyatt, maybe then it could have been deemed a masterpiece.
thmtsang
thmtsang

April 26, 2008
Great cast and plot. Jonathan (Ewan) is an auditor who wants a more exciting and fulfilling life. He meets Wyatt (Hugh) a conman who befriends him and introduces him to the high life. Things turn nasty when Wyatt threatens to kill Jonathan's crush (Michelle) unless he helps him steal 20 million dollars. The pace is good throughout the movie but the ending did not live up to the rest of the movie. Also the whole sex club wasn't essential to the plot.
Luke B

July 8, 2010
The set-up is a nice idea, with an interesting sex ring and anonymous calls. McGregor is our guide through this new and attractive land. As the film progresses it soon goes into predictable thriller territory. With a name like Deception, it just leaves you waiting for all this nonsense to kick off. The latter half of the film is just concerned with trying to trick its audience, but anyone well versed in film will notice the familiar scenes. Jackman can do bad and McGregor can do naive, but the "shocks" the film later adds fly in the face of all common sense. There's a moment where you hope it isn't going to go all thrillery and when it does it does it competently enough to keep your attention.
3niR
3niR

June 8, 2010
The twist at the end was good. But overall this movie is not worth watching. Skip it if you're searching for something more entertaining.
Nicki M

January 30, 2009
Good thriller, but kind of loses it in the second half. Cast are all good, but the story is not convincing in places, and could kind of see some of it coming. It's a pity as the first hour or so with the whole secret hook up club idea was something a bit different and was not quite sure where the story was going to go to. I think this movie could have been something quite good, but they went for predictable.
puffchunk
puffchunk

July 15, 2009
I've seen this movie 100 times before but with different titles.
vieras e

June 8, 2009
Pretty decent. If it hadn't been for Hugh and Ewan, though, I wouldn't have watched it.

*SORT OF SPOILERISH*
I kind of preferred the alternative ending, though I guess the one they went with was in some ways more logical.
Dean !

January 8, 2008
An very good cast, a good idea but a poor-ish execution only make this an ok thriller. I had high hopes for a lot more but the title alone really gives any idea of a twist away right from the start which was annoying. Hugh Jackman was very good in his role I thought and there are some sexy appearances from Natasha Henstridge (Species, Ghost of Mars) and Maggie Q (Die Hard 4). However it is all too straight forward to work out if you have seen any decent thriller before. Ok for a look but nothing special, you might prefer Derailed instead.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

July 22, 2008
This film didnt grab me and it surprises me it got better than the one with ben afflect and gary sisnise as i thought that was better than this, this film just bored me from the start and had to turn it off maybe ill get round to finishing it!
bbcfloridabound
bbcfloridabound

January 10, 2009
No a Bad movie, not one I would add to my collection, or see again. Somewhat suspenseful, and a dynamite twist at the end. Some beautiful women throughout the movie. A Rental Only in my book, nothing more then 3 - 3 1/2 stars.
boxman
boxman

December 2, 2008
[font=Arial][color=DarkRed]Speed Racer - I was wary of this film from the first frame. I think the original [i]Speed Racer[/i] cartoon is dopey and insipid. I didn't really want to pay to have my retinas destroyed by the candy-coated color scheme of the big-budget movie. But I must say, I didn't hate this movie and that's a major accomplishment. That's not to say Speed Racer is a good movie; its script is cheesy, the dialogue is silly, the comedy is dead on arrival, and many of the races end up becoming incoherent flashes of color and noise. But God help me, the Wachowski brothers have produced a unique movie experience that will likely induce epileptic seizures. [i]Speed Racer[/i] has way too much plot going on for a cartoon about a kid who races a fast car. The movie reminds me in a lot of ways of the [i]Wacky Races[/i] cartoon where the various teams have theme-driven cars. This provides for plenty of outlandish action sequences that manage to tickle the senses, that is, when the images are somewhat stable. The movie aspires to be a "family film" and with that comes the half-hearted moral message (corporations are evil) and a reminder that family is important. Did I mention there's also a monkey that gets treated like a member of the family? The movie sometimes feels like the cinematic equivalent of an ice cream headache, but you're unlikely to see anything like it again in the near future. That may be both a good and a bad thing.

Nate's Grade: C+

Then She Found Me - Actress Helen Hunt's directorial debut is an altogether pleasant film experience without achieving anything memorable or truly accomplished. It's a simple story of a 40-something grade school teacher (Hunt) torn between her man-boy husband (Matthew Broderick) and a student's hot father (Colin Firth, who seems to be a middle-aged woman's dream come true). The extra plotline where Hunt discovers the identity of her biological mother (Bette Midler) never truly seems to coalesce with the romantic foibles. [i]Then She Found Me[/i] has a noticeably wry tone, like that of a world-weary adult that's been-there-done-that. That specific and welcomed tone helps keep the viewer alert and mostly satisfied from beginning to end. It isn't a warm or sappy movie despite some sitcom-level plot complications. The acting is fairly amusing, though somewhat one-note (the foursome of actors rarely break from the one-sentence descriptions of their characters). The most shocking aspect of the flick is how weathered and gaunt Hunt looks, which is a refreshing and realistic turn for the actress. Hunt is competent behind the camera but doesn't prove much else when it comes to directorial skills. [i]Then She Found Me[/i] is a mildly affecting movie that passes the time well. Stick around to catch acclaimed author Salman Rushdie as Hunt's OB-GYN.

Nate's Grade: B

The Spiderwick Chronicles - This imaginative fantasy family film is adapted from five books from the [i]Spiderwick[/i] series, so you'll be forgiven for thinking that it packs a lot of storylines at a brisk pace. This 97-minute film should appeal to all members of the family because, while derivative, it has plenty of action, interesting fantasy characters, and even some palpable thrills. The movie has a better handle over interspersing psychological real-world drama with the monsters. Freddie Highmore is the best special effect in the film as he plays two twins who are vastly different in personality and temperament. Director Mark Waters ([i]Mean Girls[/i]) deals with the fantastic but also makes the film feel grounded, never letting the otherworldly elements to take over. The movie is a modestly entertaining escapade.

Nate's Grade: B

Drillbit Taylor - This is a case where a movie feels stuck between two different aims. The premise of a group of geeks hiring a bodyguard to protect them from high school bullies feels dramatically dated, like an idea that John Hughes could have cranked out over a weekend in the 1980s. Owen Wilson stars as a homeless Army vet that agrees to be the bodyguard but he intends to fleece the kids of their money. Eventually the film culminates in the geek trio violently fighting the bully, which is kind of a weird climax to a mainstream teen-centered film. The main bully is actually psychotically dangerous and the movie exists in a realm where every adult character is a cretin or a moron. Don't even think about security in the school. The jokes aren't as lively or clever as the movie would like to think, but special credit must be awarded for collecting a group of teen actors that look authentically geeky. [i]Drillbit Taylor[/i] is a safe vehicle for Wilson because he's played a variation of this zen-cool character in many movies. I'm honestly surprised that Seth Rogen is a co-writer and that Judd Apatow produced this flick. This is noticeable below their standards. This movie isn't anything special and it's tonally all over the place, but then it does have some funny situations, some amusing character interplay, and some dependable slapstick. Think of it as a sanitized PG version of [i]Superbad[/i] combined with an 80s movie.

Nate's Grade: C+

Deception - Is there a more tired and pathetic genre of filmmaking than that of the erotic thriller? [i]Deception[/i] is just about as lazy and bland as its title. The casting director got every role wrong. Ewan McGregor is an accounting nerd that befriends a swanky playboy (Hugh Jackman) and they accidentally switch phones. Of course this leads to people mistaking an accounting nerd for a swanky playboy, and McGregor is introduced to an underground web of anonymous sex (hasn't anyone heard about craig's list?). I suppose the rich would rather take a chance on a stranger than have their handlers recruit some tail. Michelle Williams is completely wrong as the femme fatale who OF COURSE is in on the scheme. [i]Deception[/i] plays out exactly as you could predict, and it even bears a somewhat strong resemblance to 2005's [i]Derailed[/i], another mediocre thriller of little thrills. The chilly cinematography by Dante Spinotti is way too good for this kind of film. It seems that erotic thrillers have graduated from soft focus close-ups of copulating couples set to saxophone music to ? soft focus close-ups of copulating couples set to electronica beats. I suppose that's progress for a genre defined by ridiculous plots, unrealistic characters acting like idiots, and, oh yeah, boobs.

Nate's Grade: C[/color][/font]
deano
deano

April 7, 2008
I liked the idea of powerful people, too isolated and too busy to develop human relationships. I liked Hugh Jackman's well dressed and cold instigator, Ewan McGregor's lonely accountant and Michelle Williams' bruised vulnerability. I thought all three leads made the most of their underwritten roles, but sadly it was not enough.
There is plenty of space in this world for a good, erotic thriller (see the original Basic Instinct), but sadly Deception was nothing like a good erotic thriller.
Al S

December 15, 2007
A decent film, rather prediactable and nothing seastional. It has some interesting moments but not enough to keep you intrigued. Jackman and McGregor are teriffic, they give performances that are better than what the film deserves.
MANUGINO
MANUGINO

April 21, 2008
It was very good but a little predictable and that's what messed it up. "Are you free tonight?" A simple enough question, but how Jonathan McQuarry answers it will change his life forever. A corporate auditor adrift in a sea of New York's power elite, Jonathan's work is his entire life. But, a chance meeting with Wyatt Bose, a charismatic corporate lawyer, introduces Jonathan to a decadent playground for Manhattan's executive upper crust. For these power brokers, whose 18-hour workdays leave no time for a personal life, there's "The List"--a sex club, of sorts, where the right cell-phone number and four simple words ("Are you free tonight?") can lead to an evening's sexual fulfillment. It's a world of "intimacy without intricacy," as Jonathan's first conquest (or vice versa) explains to him, and through The List Jonathan discovers a side of himself that he didn't know existed. But an affair with a ravishing and mysterious stranger known to Jonathan only by her first initial 'S', will expose him to yet another world he never imagined--one of betrayal, treachery and murder.
Chris G

April 21, 2008
I hate films that cheat.

What does that mean, you may ask?

Well, it's when a script alters the way a person thinks and acts in a film to make their script work. It's being lazy. And that's what Deception is: a lazy piece of work that capitalizes on the facts that two stars known the world over as Wolverine and Obi Wan Kenobi (not Alec Guinness, although I'm sure he would rather be dead than in this film) headline the picture.

Ewan MacGregor is a corporate accountant and Hugh Jackman is an executive that comes out of nowhere to wine, dine, and invite MacGregor's character to a sex club. The accountant falls in love, Jackman is a scam, lover for account access, etc, etc, etc. If you saw the tariler you knew what was coming.

And if you watch the film you'll see what's coming. Deception is extremly predictable, but my main problem was with the cheating issue. Characters are completly stupid and oblivious in one scene, then make a brilliant deduction in the next. This is a cheap way to keep a hack script going so that the writer doesn't have to come up with something witty or original.

This is one of those movies that just seems worse the more I think about it. Crap. Pure crap.