Deception - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Deception Reviews

August 2, 2016
Deception is about an accountant by the name of Jonathan McQuarry. One night while working late he meets Wyatt Bose. The two of them strike up a conversation that leads to a friendship. When Wyatt gets set to leave to London on business he accidently takes Jonathan's phone and Jonathan takes his by accident too. Jonathan realizes that the numbers in Wyatt's phone are from a sex hot line group and so Jonathan goes from being an average guy to somewhat of a playboy meeting girls every other week including a particular one he meets at the train station. The story begins to take a turn when Wyatt goes from nice cool guy to manipulative con man who holds Jonathan's new girl hostage and will kill her unless jonathan helps him with a money transfer.
Sooo at first I like the style and aethestic of the film it looked very classy. Ewan Mcgregor does a pretty good job here. however the story lacked depth and suspense. The structure of it wasn't very well done. so in other words bad directing here. it takes too long to get to the real conflict of the film it should have been done faster. hugh jackman wasn't too bad as a villain but he coulda worked form a better script though as this was really bad. This was one of michelle Williams more sexy roles ill give her that in the film but she didn't really provide much here. It did have nice cinematography
It's a full real story of deception but just not done right. it might have worked if Michael mann was the visionary behind it he would be able to tackle this story in the right way. don't see it its pretty shitty.
June 9, 2016
The title pretty much sums it up.
½ February 23, 2016
The most impressive unimpressive movie I've ever seen; every dynamic transcends mediocrity just enough to be passable.
September 1, 2015
A possability, though manily because it has Ewan McGregor in it.
½ June 23, 2015
Starts off slow but becomes a good triller
½ February 14, 2015
Hugh Jackman naturally gonna see it:)
January 10, 2015
Not as bad as rated by the others... Just wrong title (are you fre tonight) was much better. And #easy ending.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
Pretty decent drama with some thriller moments but not so much. Story and the acting are on high level starring Hugh Jackman and Ewan McGregor. Some twists aswell which are always good in these type of movies. Overall worth a closer look altho there are better movies out there.
December 30, 2014
This movie Deception is pretty sweet lol
October 15, 2014
It was rather predictable to be a good thriller, but still it was a nice movie with great actors...:)
½ July 16, 2014
I finally watched this after putting it off for a long while and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was a bit predictable I admit, but it kept my attention and that is all that matters to me.
July 4, 2014
hmmmm if I fall asleep with 20 minutes is that a bad sign??????
February 11, 2014
A good thriller with a great cast a good story and some interesting twists. Good surprise.
December 21, 2013
You can see this ending coming from the start. Great performances by the leads, but in the end that isn't enough to stop this from being a complete waste of time.
November 23, 2013
Could only manage half the movie because it was too predictable and slow.
November 3, 2013
Although some of the plot "twists" were somewhat mild, and as cheesy as it may sound; this is my kind of thriller.
½ October 10, 2013
Stellar cast with shining McGregor, but the movie quickly fades into a bunch of non-comittal flashes. Not worth your time.
August 9, 2013
Nice suspense thriller. It's about framing an accountant using a secret sex club as a bait. Hugh Jackman plays the conman and he uses his fiance to do the dirty work but in the end she fell in love with the accountant and the plot goes terribly wrong. Nicely directed as well.
July 30, 2013
An hour and 40 minutes. Gone.
July 20, 2013
Eyes Wide Shut is already a failure for its chaos created. Deception's attempt to reveal the hypocrisy and debauchery ends up putting the audience in midst with no revelation. A waste of an excellent cast.