Revanche - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Revanche Reviews

January 28, 2017
I have seen a lot of "slow-burning" thrillers and Revanche is perhaps the slowest and certainly not burning of them all. To call it even a thriller is an overstatement.
December 1, 2016
the gun culture is slightly different in this small Austrian town
½ October 24, 2015
Really thoughtful and introspective reflection on violence and specifically revenge. Events don't unfold as expected, and is more memorable for it. Even some of the quieter scenes have stayed with me, and have made me think about it from time to time even a week later, which is more than I can say about many movies.
October 23, 2015
This exceptionally acclaimed movie has almost everything: a strong story, excellent performances, and beautiful photography. But this is one movie I never want to see again, and not necessarily because of any surprising plot twists. Simply put, the pacing of this film is glacial. The entire story could have been told, and told well, as a short film. It annoys me when film directors make demands on the audience; demands that we indulge them by sitting through a two-hour flick that would have been better told in one hour. Scene after scene where very little happens; the climax of the movie itself barely merits a yawn. This is the kind of film that gets rave reviews in the States for its literary quality and its sophistication. Hopefully I'm not the first to observe that the emperor has no clothes. It's not just the glacial pacing; it's not easy to engage with a movie when one doesn't give an actual f*** about the characters, who are unsympathetic and nearly as boring as this profoundly overrated movie.
August 5, 2015
Gotz Spielmann's "thriller" is actually more of a surprisingly quiet study of two men in conflict.

This is a study of a world that seems to deny hope. When two people fall in love and make the poor choice of committing a crime for the opportunity to start a new life, we are led into a modern take on Greek mythology.

A gifted cast of actors and an extremely well-crafted work that often flirts with "film noir."

A satisfying and masterful cinematic work that comes close to being a post-modern masterpiece of love, regret and guilt.
June 14, 2015
Epic A.F. Slow burn revenge flick.
May 20, 2015
"Revanche" belongs to a particular style in the European filming, where the building of the characters is one of the main tasks of the director. It is a psycho drama but far away from the blockbuster type. It reminded me of Bergman´s films.
½ February 14, 2015
Often misrepresented as a thriller, Revanche is instead a slow-burning drama about confronting inevitability and finding redemption through self-confession. Austrian director Götz Spielmann weaves an affecting portrait of lives gone awry, marked by unforeseen tragedy and the redemptive search for catharsis. The film begins in a squalid section of Vienna, settling on two characters (a pusher and a prostitute) as they make a last-ditch effort to escape their station in life, where the promise of freedom is just one crime away. The gun's not even loaded. Nothing can go wrong. But life doesn't always go according to plan. Spielmann's film is preoccupied with human suffering and human mistakes but he's never judgmental. His film is dour, but it's never hopeless. What feels like fatalism in the earlier segments slowly blossoms into something like hope, as the characters come to terms with their own frailty and learn to forgive themselves. The title means "Revenge," but who do you blame when your life doesn't go according to plan? Spielmann's prescription comes with a hefty dose of introspection.
October 26, 2014
O que demarca "Revanche" dos restantes thrillers é uma qualidade meditativa que toma sempre o seu tempo para decidir que destino quer dar a cada um dos personagens (e é fácil criar uma relaçăo com grande parte deles). Embora seja bastante lento o ritmo que Götz Spielmann impőe no seu híbrido de noir e tragédia, o que encontramos aqui é uma narrativa demasiado tensa e bem articulada para que alguém se aborreça.
October 18, 2014
Great movie I loved it. It kind of reminds me of the American movie "The Place Beyond the Pines" I mean just the same style and even some of the same storylines show up. I love crime movies myself and I was extremely pleased with this one. I would recommend it to anyone and everyone remotely interested in crime movies.
½ October 16, 2014
Another good Austrian film with no heirs or graces. Despite you thinking this might be a hard hitting seedy thriller at the start, the second half is slow-paced and gets pretty deep into the mind of a character who, at the start, you wouldn't think was interesting enough.
April 20, 2014
A gorgeous, sentimental, and somewhat existentialist drama about revenge, forgiveness, love, and devotion. Shot in mostly long, static shots without any musical score, Revanche is a film that will absorb and envelope you into its world, staying with you long after the credits have rolled.
April 6, 2014
Great Austrian cinema with stunning performances. This Oscar-nominated movie has it all: love, sex, suspense and a beautiful setting that sometimes makes you feel comfortable and concerned at the same time. In addition it masterfully depicts the contrast between city and country without really concentrating on this issue. Highly recommendable for everyone who enjoys European filmmaking!
March 7, 2014
different; oddly romatic. a nice twist on the contemporary crime genre
½ December 29, 2013
A quietly fascinating journey of the hearts, from seedy to sublime, revenge to redemption, grief to giving unbeknown to all players--Good choices, bad choices!!
December 17, 2013
yeah i thought this was awesome

why are austrian films so depressing
November 28, 2013
????? ?????? ?? ???? ???? :
?????? ?????? ??? ?? ?? ???? ????? ????? ? ?????? ?? ?? ????? ? ?? ???????! ? ??? ????? ? ???? ?? ???? ?????? ?? ??????? ?? ?????? ?? ???? ??? ???? ???????? ? ??? ???????? ?? ???? ????? ????? ? ???? ????? ??????. ??? ???? "??????" ??????? ??? ???? ?? ????? ????? ?? ?? ????? ????? ? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ???? ????? ?? ?? ??? ??? ?? ??? ?????? ????...
???? ??????? ?? ????? ?????? ? ????? ??? ??? ?? ????? ?? ?? ?? ???? ??? ? ?? ?? ???? ????? ??? ???? ?? ?? ????? ????. ?????????? ???? ?? ???? ??? ???? ??? ?? ?????? ??? ??? ???? ?? ?? ???? ?? ???? ??? ???? ??????? ????.
?? ?????? ?? ???? ????? ??? ???? ?? ????? ???? ? ?? ?? ??? ?????.
October 28, 2013
starts off as a traditional heist film but it soon evolves into something totally different and wonderful , terrific acting, interesting characters and beautifully shot as well...........
September 8, 2013
Can't wait to see more from Spielmann, if it's even remotely like this.
July 19, 2013
REMARKABLE. Absolutely fucking floored me. A film that reminded me as to why I fell in love with cinema in the first place. The director had a clear vision and boy did it show. So many themes and subtle topics raised in this film, but never with pretension. One of the best films I've seen this year.