The Caller - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Caller Reviews

½ May 13, 2012
A corporate crime drama that runs fatally amok.
½ February 19, 2011
If you enjoy watching paint dry, this is your movie!
½ January 3, 2011
Really exceptionally bad acting.
½ November 17, 2010
Arketa endiaferon san ergo me kales ermineies...apla den exei kalo rithmo me apotelesma koilia...
½ November 13, 2010
Cinematography Of New York Looks Beautiful Against This Slow Moving Drama That Appears So Sure Of Itself. Performances Were Good But The Story?? I Did Not Get It At All!
½ September 30, 2010
A corporate crime drama that runs fatally amok.
½ August 15, 2010
Frank Langella puts in a bravura performance in this understated drama. Elliot Gould as the bird-watcher private detective matches Langella scene for scene. I'm not sure I know the characters but I know the story and that is testimony to the actor's art. Art house movie gem.
June 19, 2010
Very intense, well directed!!!
March 19, 2010
slow but interesting with its flashbacks and the interaction of Gould and Langella on the phone that frames how the ending turns out.
Harlequin68
½ March 11, 2010
In "The Caller," Jimmy Stevens(Frank Langella), who after many years of being corrupt, has a crisis of conscience that causes him to not only blow the whistle on his employers in the energy industry, but also publicly expose them as the murdering scumbags they really are. This action does not come without a price as they would like him to take a trip to Red Hook. In return, he asks for two weeks in which he hires Frank Turlotte(Elliott Gould), a private investigator and birdwatcher, to trail him.

"The Caller" almost succeeds solely on the merits of Frank Langella's quietly commanding performance. Overall, the movie is too modest to successfully connect its thoughts on World War II, 9/11, heightened security and oil companies into a coherent statement. Otherwise, there is not much else of interest, as it tips its hand too early when it should have instead patiently allowed the details of Jimmy's life to slowly unfold through Frank's eyes. As it is, Frank's observations verge on the unbelievably unprofessional, critiquing Jimmy as the epitome of boring.(Not to judge the watcher, but this comes from a solitary man who prefers the company of birds to humans.) There is a little bit in Frank that is endearing in finding simple pleasures in unexpected places in New York City but the film narrowly defines the city as Manhattan. It is Brooklyn where Jimmy is forced to go to.
bbcfloridabound
February 21, 2010
Pretty cool movie a Private Investigator is hired by a man who wants the PI to follow someone, who the man who hired him. Twist and turns throughout. I enjoyed the suspense and Drama I'd give it 4 stars
½ January 29, 2010
Both quiet & compelling at the same time, this little film is more character than action driven, and beautifully executed by both Frank Langella and Elliot Gould. Jimmy Stevens (Langella) sets up his own assination after sending out a damaging Email through his corporate Email attaching a video clip of dead bodies at the firm's Latin America factory. He then hires Frank Turlotte (Gould - who is excellent in this role) as a private dectective who has no idea the man who hired him & the man he is to trail is the same person...the reason why is slowly rolled out for the viewer. I very much enjoyed this subtle yet beautifully told film.
December 20, 2009
Slow moving and not very engaging.
December 6, 2009
Stupid waste of time!
December 3, 2009
It would have been an awsome movie had they not forgotten to put the ending in.
September 14, 2009
This is not your typical movie for everyone, let's just make that plain. Langella and Gould are very good and it shows just how talented of actors they are. The story is one that builds very slowly and if your impatient about these kinds of films than you probably won't like it, but if you like movies that don't give everything away at the beginning and films that make you guess and wonder what in the world is going on than you will like this film. Let's just say it really is a cool kind of mystery dramatic film, don't know how else to describe it, but I enjoyed this very, very much! This movie just has a lot going on, to put it mildly and it's just a cool movie for an indie film.
½ September 6, 2009
The Caller is 2008's offer to man's curiosity of what goes on in our twilight years. Wonder how dark our final years will be? Here is a character study centering on an old man's resignation to his impending doom. He knows he will not die of weakness, or a debilitating disease, but rather by a swift and violent death. We watch in awe at how we can gleam a ray of romanticism in the events that happen from the time a man realizes a hit is upon him and the day it happens. Frank Langella owns this role and is supported by a wall of impressive acting by Elliott Gould and Laura Harring.
September 2, 2009
Weird and confusing. I wish there would have been more information on the exploit. Instead the movie was really about the guy trying to help his friend remember him and the guy's memory didn't kick in until it was too late. Sad really because this movie could have been so much better.
September 2, 2009
A smooth ride in a cinematic Cadillac with two veteran actors.
½ July 29, 2009
Terrible - granted I was cycling on my Real Axiom and only half paying attention, but it still probably sucked. You may so "Hey, at least its a short movie" and that would've been great if I wasn't on a bike away from the remote and had to listen to 20 minutes of the annoying intro music as I finished up my ride.