Cactus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cactus Reviews

December 12, 2014
Really good movie. Loved it and David Lyons.
October 18, 2013
Pretty good Aussie outback thriller.
½ June 30, 2013
Low budgeted, story driven kidnap movie from Australia. Has some interesting occurrences on the way through. Able to keep you interested.
December 4, 2010
A lot of people talking about Australian cinematography are spending more time reading critics instead of watching movies! If I read the critics I would skip watching this film.... and I am glad I didn't. Interesting road movie by first time writer-director Jasmine Yuen-Carrucan. She was very good camera operator until this attempt as a director and now is showing us that is very capable woman doing both of those things very well. I like that this art work is not too commercial and I could describe it as esoteric. This film is NOT a masterpiece, but everything is done professionally without too much effort. I won't try to describe the plot, let me say that the journey of the two passengers is much more interesting than the destination.
½ November 17, 2010
I thought there would be more action!Just didn't get going!!!
May 27, 2010
Good Australian thriller mainly based on the concept of 'an eye for an eye,' though remains fairly ambiguous throughout, leaving most of the questions viewers are asking throughout the film unanswered. Very much an Australian film nonetheless, and that is where its worth truly lies.
March 5, 2010
Noble intentions but falls way short.
½ February 17, 2010
Great story of a desperate man getting himself in trouble and his inner battle to do the right thing.
½ November 16, 2009
Well acted & shot, but narratively a very stock-standard hostage/road picture. Feels like a 25 minute short/50 minute mini-feature elongated to 90 minutes.
½ October 6, 2009
I liked this road movie, but the end didn't make much sense. I am starting to believe that Australians movies have strange way to end things...rsrsrs
½ July 20, 2009
This film is a like a Horrific Gay rape that happens in your grandmothers Rose first your scared but intrigued during the rigorous mounting process, however the atrocities soon to be committed begin to run through your mind and further still as you lay in your grandmothers rose garden you realise your not actually sure what's happen. So you compose yourself and hobble to the nearest Emergency Department where you receive 34 salted coated Sutures to the 20 cm gaping gash in your anus...An old jew nurse compares the scene to a Nazi concentration camp .2 years on your mooring shit is still disrupted as your forced to shit around a cluster fuck of a scar...Thats how this film is...
½ July 11, 2009
This film boasts breathtaking outback cinematography, however when asked to really tell a story, stumbles continuously. Not the hardest movie to watch by any means, it just seems strange to attempt to build so much tension yet provide you with the exact ending you were thinking of all along.
Though i was tempted to give it an extra point as part of the movie is set in the town of 'Cullen' which is the name of my beloved pooch, it only deserves 5/10!
June 8, 2009
Good character development combined with growing tension. This kidnap come road movie has potential but it didn't really hold me there. The film just wound up not having any real point and leaving too many open questions. Slow.
½ May 12, 2009
This movie was suprisingly good. Some very dry humour and a soild performances combined with a good plot and an even pace to the movie. The ending was harsh and beautiful at the same time (believeable or not who cares). Bryan Brown, although only played very sparingly throughout the movie reminded me alot of the nasty bastard from 'Wolf Creek'. This movie isn't action packed nor is it a rollercoaster, its just a good Aussie flick like only Aussies know how to make (except i don't know if the director is an Aussie, Ops). Finally the landscape shots were brilliant.
½ March 22, 2009
first class thriller keeping you guessing throughout, but I ain't gonna issue any spoilers here so go see it and enjoy it. Breathtaking scenery!
½ February 17, 2009
Great. Could have revealed the mysteries closer to the ending...
February 8, 2009
Decent thriller but what is with Australian films not finishing well? We always have to do the artsy 'leave it open and don't explain anything properly' kind of ending like in 'Noise'. A good film though that is worth seeing.
January 29, 2009
A really good aussie movie
½ December 25, 2008
This tiny Australian gem has probably suffered at the hands of a lacklustre year, a poor attitude from the Australian public towards their home product and the basic small nature of its story. At the centre of the film is a really strong turn from a continuously underappreciated Travis McMahon (the man should be a star by now) as John who has kidnapped another man, Eli (David Lyons), and begun to take him on a cross-country trip to an unknown destination. The journey is a tense one and whilst nothing much happens they both find themselves in some grief as Bryan Brown's vigilante police officer enters the frame. It's got style has this little film and Jasmine Yuen Carrucan brings a fresh take on the road movie in this her debut feature as director. With her experience behind the camera on films like Mongol and Kill Bill Vol. 2 she manages to use the screen well and whilst she faulters a little in reigning the inexperienced Lyons, and Brown, who simply doesn't have the chops, to a place that matches McMahon's strong work she shows enough to warrant keeping an eye on her in the future. This one is small but well worth a look.
½ December 24, 2008
Great lowbudget movie. It's really hard to keep suspense in on location, especially when it's in a car. The only other movie thats really good at that is "The Stand". This movie was a really good try though. The only thing that annoyed me was the main guy, the kidnapper. He got kinda lame after a while and that brought the movie down.