The Stone Angel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Stone Angel Reviews

May 11, 2016
Just for Ellen Burstyn.
June 20, 2015
Ihana draamaelokuva... <3 (Suom. Kivienkeli)
June 24, 2014
Boring and worst of all Ellen page is wasted in a five minute role introduced 40 min. from the end
May 28, 2013
I really loved this movie. Watched it last night. I rarely cry when I watch tear jerkers, but this one had me crying at the end. One has to be in the mood to watch it, otherwise one could find it slow. I personally loved it from beginning to end and want to watch it again. I just recently found out it is based on a novel, so I will be looking for the book as well. <3
April 2, 2013
Outstanding portrayal by Ellen Burstyn, not the most uplifting story, but it mimics reality and such is life.
December 4, 2012
Although Ellen Burstyn does her usual great job in acting this role, the script is reminiscent of The Trip to Bountiful, but with an even more depressing script.
½ July 25, 2012
Esse filme tristinho.
January 27, 2012
I enjoyed the movie!!
½ August 31, 2011
how can a movie with so much sex be so BORING? some canadian voodoo magic. now i remember why i didn't want to read this book in high school. a bitter old woman who resents her boring life, awesome. though i am giving this movie a full 2 1/2 stars solely for ellen burstyn's acting.
June 22, 2011
two of the 3 main characters on the cover of this film, are in this film the least.Ellen Burstyn's role too emotional full of memories that didnt get to continue and last...failure took loves place, turmoil & death.I watched this for Ellen Pages character,though she was in it for ten minutes, and got killed..the reasoning was TERRIBLE though, that she had to die because of what boyfriend...found out. and because I like to see elders pushing past everyone when it comes to nursing homes, they feel they have alot more energy still, and its good to see them fight for their past life, they want to keep it.
½ June 14, 2011
I loved the book and now I love the movie. Beautifully done. Outstanding performances from the entire cast. I'm stumped why they weren't all drowning in awards come awards season.
½ May 5, 2011
What could've been a decent story a la "The Trip to Bountiful", "Away from Her," or "The Straight Story" is instead marred by weak directing and rambling writing. Cole Hauser has great presence though.
May 3, 2011
pretty laggy and boring film. Such a dissapointment that Ellen Page got into this project. Not an entirely horrible film, though.
March 24, 2011
Ellen Burstyn was just wonderful in this movie about the struggles of growing older and having to surrender one's independence. Also about family support and struggles of the caretakers as well. She plays an elderly woman who after being placed in a nursing home by her son and daughter-n-law, runs away and while on the run examines her life more closely - both past and present. The film jumps around a lot in time, but is easy enough to follow. What can I say? For me this was an example of the lead character - in this case actress Ellen Burstyn being bigger than the movie itself was. Her performance was wonderful but the script itself had much to be desired. A good but not great little film.
January 23, 2011
I don't remember the book being as depressing as the movie. The movie didn't do the book justice.
September 12, 2010
Very emotional movie. It's more of a sad movie then anything else. Very nice if you feel like crying.
½ August 6, 2010
It took me a bit to get into it but once I did I really enjoyed the story. It had heartfelt moments.The acting was good and I liked Ellen Page's small part.
July 27, 2010
not too bad...kept me intrigued to keep on watching
June 24, 2010
Great cast, sketchy drama.