Ripple Effect - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ripple Effect Reviews

March 21, 2013
I can't give this movie even half a star, it was so B-grade and am surprised that Forest Whitaker starred in a movie with such lack of substance. It was terrible.....sorry guys ;(
September 5, 2012
Despite a few endearing scenes with Forest Whitaker, the film is a complete and utter hodgepodge of insensibility and Philippe Caland as lead actor is too hard to take in large doses.
January 15, 2011
I wanted this movie to be as good as it thought it was, but it wasn't. The story of the designer trying to make his marriage and family and business all work at the same time was great. It was real and adult and interesting. Then 40 minutes in it crashes. The Forest Whitaker part, although he is the only reason I watched this movie, was pointless. This film could have been smart and poignant and intelligent, but it failed itself when it tried to become a metaphor for great universal spiritual truths. It fails abruptly too. I almost want my morning back.
November 5, 2010
a enjoyable enough film concerning a down on his luck businessman, in debt, getting in contact with a wheelchair bound guy, he disabled years back, and being a illegal imigrant did a hit and run, a film about faith chance and destiny, and where we are heading in life, sometimes it says things well, and forrest whiticker is interesting as the cripple and phillippe caland as the one seeking some sort of redemption, doing good also, a film not utterly convincing but worth a watch
½ May 4, 2010
For a couple of years now i've been hearing about a ridiculous movie called 'The Room'. It's directed by and stars a man of indeterminate European origin, and is supposed to be so bad that it's become a Plan 9 from Outer Space for the new millennium. People gather to have screenings of it and laugh at the terribleness of it all. I've been dying to see it for myself, but it's only available in America. Well, that blow has been softened now, because i've seen Ripple Effect.
This may look like some sort of futuristic thriller with some big name actors, but it's really the story of a struggling Fashion Designer called Amer Atrash (played by director Philippe Caland) who is struggling with the secret that he once hit a man with his car, confining him to a wheelchair. He decides to track that man down and make amends with him. This is one of those peculiar projects where a director has cast himself as the lead in his own movie, without seeing acting ability as a pre-requisite. Unfortunately, he's almost as bad an actor as he is a director.
How he managed to get Oscar winner Forest Whitaker, and Oscar nominees Minnie Driver and Virginia Madsen to appear in this film is beyond me. I've come to the conclusion that they all must have accidentally wandered into a Nazi themed orgy once, and Philippe Caland was there taking pictures.
The most absurd aspect of this film is trying to pass this guy off as a fashion designer. He dresses terribly throughout the entire movie, never far away from his stupid little hat or Pauly Shore surfer attire. Maybe the filmmakers knew their limitations and were subliminally stating the quality of the film in the name of the main character, ATRASH. Honestly.
In terms of story, Atrash basically goes out into the desert with wheelchair bound Forest Whitaker much to the disapproval of Whitaker's wife, Minnie Driver. There he finds himself, a pompous overblown Frenchman with appalling fashion sense.
This movie does have a genuinely hilarious ending involving, but not limited to, sepia flashbacks, potential drownings, a large black man diving out of a wheelchair and a Frenchman at sunset dropping to his knees on a beach in despair.
April 25, 2010
This movie seems to be stopped somewhere in the production process! this isn't a complete movie to me!
½ February 20, 2010
I wanted to like it, and I did. It also kinda sucked. It could have been much better. The main character definitely made me care about him, and Forest did a good job, as usual, but I can think of 15 characters he's played that were more interesting to me. The ending left me wanting and at less than 80 minutes, the length was ridiculous. This was an interesting enough story, but disappointing overall.
½ May 19, 2009
Slow and unrewarding. This creature limps and struggles until it finally dies (at what seems three times longer than the actual time).
May 16, 2009
God-awful. Only thing worse than pretentious existentialist crap, is poorly filmed, badly scripted pretentious existentialist crap. Forest Whitaker's performance is the only reason you should deign to see this film. Philippe Caland, shame on you. The most shocking thing about it, is that it's produced by Whitaker, Driver and Madsen. Caland's performance as an actor is fairly terrible, but his direction is even worse (it's like the cameraman has ADD or something), and the dialogue is on a level of bad that George Lucas would be proud of. Don't see this.
April 20, 2009
A dreadful examination of one man's mid-life struggle with his professional career, seemingly influenced by an accident that occurred many years earlier. The early scenes with Joanna Krupa provide some eye candy, but i find no reason why Forrest Whitaker, Virginia Madsen and Minnie Driver would want to do this film. It has the potential to be a moving story, but it is so poorly written and directed. At only 83 minutes, it seems overlong.
February 25, 2009
This movie was decent but seem someone disjointed. Whitaker was good of course but Minnie Driver was really out of her element.
February 2, 2009
forest whitaker is always good but this time it was jerry katell who stole the cake. very beautiful movie..
½ January 28, 2009
un buena historia acerca de hacer lo correcto
½ January 19, 2009
Not very good at all. That's all I have to say.
½ January 14, 2009
A beautiful story of guilt, redemption and how to find happiness. I was happy to see Forest Whitaker in another good story. He's very under rated.
January 4, 2009
Very slow in the beginning... lighting and direction seemed less believable. Took a while to get to the jist of the story. The last 10 minutes were good. It was a good message, overall.
December 23, 2008
Takes way too long to get to the point, and really makes you wonder what the makers had on Minnie Driver and Forest Whitaker to get them into this horrible movie.
December 15, 2008
Awesome movey, It reminds me of the secret
November 25, 2008
Nice story and good acting performances.. but poor direction and cinematography... didn't get what the whole story meant...
November 23, 2008
Only an OK movie. The story kind of dragged and I really wasn't convinced of the sincerity of the storyline.