The Garden - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Garden Reviews

August 4, 2014
One of my favorite documentaries. It was amazing and inspiring!
June 12, 2012
Shocking and emotionally-charged -- and unforgettable. Examines the balance between self-interest and public interest, and what issues arise surrounding an inner-city community garden built on loaned land -- and what happens when the owner decides to sell and develop the land. The staunch capitalists among us will find no moral compunction here, but when political corruption enters the mix, one might find deeper issues at hand, especially considering a truly shocking postscript line of text and final shot that turns the whole film on its head. This was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at the 2009 Oscars and in a weaker year would have won outright; it's one of the best documentaries of last year, probably third to DEAR ZACHARY and the wonderful Oscar winner, MAN ON WIRE.
May 17, 2012
Tried to watch it, couldn't pay attention to make the review worth anything.
December 3, 2011
well-made movie, fascinating and inspiring story...
October 15, 2011
A film that begs the viewer to yell at the screen, hold their arms in the air, and question morality. Not a flawless documentary by any stretch, but certainly an in-depth look into policy, people, and power in the US.
May 12, 2011
I was really in the middle on this subject and that's what made me enjoy this film.
½ March 9, 2011
This is a great documentary about a good (horrible) subject in what happened to the garden. This movie has a great pace that gives good background with interviews with just about every key subject. It has twists and turns and you start to identify with many of the subjects. Good footage and great editing. I don't know what else to say about the movie itself other than this is great doc filmmaking.

About the subject, this is the sad story of how some people just keep getting screwed over by people in power no matter what. When they try to do it the diplomatic way, it doesn't work. In a passive way, doesn't work. In a direct way, doesn't work. And never physically violent, still screwed. I am glad that this subject can be followed by many and lead to reform. See it.
½ March 9, 2011
This low-budget film tells the sad but courageous story of a small group of farmers working at the largest community garden in the US. The garden is set to be destroyed by the land's owner after about ten years functioning as a food source for locals who depend on it. In a matter of months, the farmers band together and attempt to halt the destruction of their work, raising millions of dollars in a matter of months. It's a tremendous example of hard-working eco-activists, but ultimately tragic, as the owner won and the garden no longer exists.
½ February 17, 2011
The 14 acre community garden in South Central Los Angeles was the largest of it's kind in the United States.
January 1, 2011
No masterpiece, but a solid film chronicling the fight of a few poor farmers to keep their farms on the country's largest urban farm. I would have especially appreciated a bit more insight into how the farmers received the land in the first place, and who gets to farm there. However, the obvious failings of local LA government and the greed of the land's previous and eventual owner are more than enough for a compelling drama.
December 12, 2010
Aahhh same ole same ole. politics getting in the way of real progress.
½ November 21, 2010
This was an amazing film full of surprises. If you have ever sought solace in the soil, then this will capture your emotions as it is at once endearing, maddening, and captivating. If you have Ntflix, it's a great choice for instant play.
½ August 31, 2010
Another example of the non-productive rich, who sit on their vast resources and contribute nothing of value, reaching out to destroy a community of poor hard working Americans out of greed, then spite. Pathetic.
½ August 9, 2010
i remember following this story unfolding via democracy now and indymedia...again and again i am reminded that greed and the class war are at the heart of our planet's ills and that until we address them we will fight with one another at the behest of our slave masters. as orwell said, "all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."
June 6, 2010
I'm even more ashamed to call myself 'American' after watching this story unfold...the simple act of feeding your own community dismissed by greed, money, and power. Capitalism can be a sickness and this story is a grand illustration of that.

One of the most powerful documentaries I've EVER seen. More powerful than 'An Inconvenient Truth' because it rattles the foundations of community and family.
June 1, 2010
Capitalism at its finest
April 15, 2010
The political struggles of a community of farmers are captured in this very engaging and taut documentary.
½ April 1, 2010
An interesting documentary about politics, injustice and hope. The Garden introduces a very special place now long gone from central L.A. The immigrant gardeners sure won me over but the documentary itself wasn't as good of storytelling as I had wished.
March 17, 2010
Academy Award Nominated Documentary

Academy Award Nominated film, THE GARDEN is an engaging and powerful look at the famous political and social battle over the largest community garden in the U.S (located in south central Los Angeles).

A follow-up to Kennedy's award-winning documentary, OT: OUR TOWN, the film shows how the politics of power and greed (backroom deals, land developing, green politics, money) tragically intersect with working class families who rely on this communal garden for their livelihood. Equal parts THE WIRE and HARLAN COUNTY, USA, THE GARDEN, exposes the fault lines in American society and raises crucial and challenging questions about liberty, equality, and justice for the poorest and most vulnerable among us.

Kenneth Turan of the LA Times said: "It's tempting to call "The Garden" a story of innocence and experience, of evil corrupting paradise, but that would be doing a disservice to the fascinating complexities of a classic Los Angeles conflict and an excellent documentary that does them full justice."
March 1, 2010