The Garden Reviews

• Aug 04, 2014

One of my favorite documentaries. It was amazing and inspiring!

One of my favorite documentaries. It was amazing and inspiring!

• Jun 12, 2012

Shocking and emotionally-charged -- and unforgettable. Examines the balance between self-interest and public interest, and what issues arise surrounding an inner-city community garden built on loaned land -- and what happens when the owner decides to sell and develop the land. The staunch capitalists among us will find no moral compunction here, but when political corruption enters the mix, one might find deeper issues at hand, especially considering a truly shocking postscript line of text and final shot that turns the whole film on its head. This was nominated for Best Documentary Feature at the 2009 Oscars and in a weaker year would have won outright; it's one of the best documentaries of last year, probably third to DEAR ZACHARY and the wonderful Oscar winner, MAN ON WIRE.

• Dec 03, 2011

well-made movie, fascinating and inspiring story...

well-made movie, fascinating and inspiring story...

• May 12, 2011

I was really in the middle on this subject and that's what made me enjoy this film.

• Mar 09, 2011

This is a great documentary about a good (horrible) subject in what happened to the garden. This movie has a great pace that gives good background with interviews with just about every key subject. It has twists and turns and you start to identify with many of the subjects. Good footage and great editing. I don't know what else to say about the movie itself other than this is great doc filmmaking. About the subject, this is the sad story of how some people just keep getting screwed over by people in power no matter what. When they try to do it the diplomatic way, it doesn't work. In a passive way, doesn't work. In a direct way, doesn't work. And never physically violent, still screwed. I am glad that this subject can be followed by many and lead to reform. See it.

• Mar 08, 2011

This low-budget film tells the sad but courageous story of a small group of farmers working at the largest community garden in the US. The garden is set to be destroyed by the land's owner after about ten years functioning as a food source for locals who depend on it. In a matter of months, the farmers band together and attempt to halt the destruction of their work, raising millions of dollars in a matter of months. It's a tremendous example of hard-working eco-activists, but ultimately tragic, as the owner won and the garden no longer exists.

• Feb 17, 2011

The 14 acre community garden in South Central Los Angeles was the largest of it's kind in the United States.

• Jan 01, 2011

No masterpiece, but a solid film chronicling the fight of a few poor farmers to keep their farms on the country's largest urban farm. I would have especially appreciated a bit more insight into how the farmers received the land in the first place, and who gets to farm there. However, the obvious failings of local LA government and the greed of the land's previous and eventual owner are more than enough for a compelling drama.

• Dec 12, 2010

Aahhh same ole same ole. politics getting in the way of real progress.

Aahhh same ole same ole. politics getting in the way of real progress.

• Nov 21, 2010

This was an amazing film full of surprises. If you have ever sought solace in the soil, then this will capture your emotions as it is at once endearing, maddening, and captivating. If you have Ntflix, it's a great choice for instant play.