All of Us - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

All of Us Reviews

½ May 18, 2011
I'm definitely going to use this film in my outreach work. Absolutely brilliant.
½ June 28, 2009
I just caught this on showtime and was amazed how much ethopian-american dr mehret mandefro reminds me of my sister! ;-) for some reason, her picture has been removed from the cast, but she is beautiful and sometimes sports a 'fro. the documentary shows her interaction with black women with AIDS both in in america and ethoipia trying to manage their romantic relationships and health and her efforts to get more people to use condoms.
Harlequin68
½ September 23, 2008
[font=Century Gothic]"All of Us" is an illuminating documentary about Dr. Mehret Mandefro, a resident at Montefiore Hospital in the South Bronx, who was born in Ethiopia(where she returns for research on her project) and raised in Northern Virginia. While she gives the devil his due by giving some credit to the Bush Administration for its ABC program(Abstinence, Being faithful and Condoms if necessary) in fighting the spread of AIDS amongst African American women which is much higher than the population at large, she feels that it is not enough. So, she starts a project to look at the underlying causes which include poverty, an inordinate proportion of African American men in prison(which the Rockefeller Drug Laws may have something to do with) and the lack of control in the professional and personal lives of these women.[/font]
[font=Century Gothic][/font]
[font=Century Gothic]The documentary follows two HIV positive women who are part of Dr. Mandefro's study and who relate to her despite their different backgrounds. Chevelle is engaged to be married and studying to earn her GED. Tara is in much worse shape since she also suffers from cervical cancer. But I think there is questionable relevance about also including Dr. Mandefro's personal life since it just feels like we are eavesdropping on her relationship. Anyway, she definitely has her work cut out for her but how many of us get a chance to work on something so truly worthwhile and important?[/font]
September 22, 2008
If you're vaguely interested in social justice, issues of race, sex and the crisis in health care in the US and the horrendous rates of HIV infection among black women in the US (it's the number 1 killer of under 45s) you should see this.

Or you could go see Tropic Thunder.