Seed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seed Reviews

½ March 15, 2015
Why dose Uwe Boll keep making movies? seriously they terrible and Seed isn't anything different from his other work that's covered in horse sh't.

The story to Seed is about a mass murderer, is sentenced to death and electrocuted three times on the electric chair. Finally, they declare the still breathing man dead and bury him alive. After he bites and claws his way to the surface he takes revenge on those who wronged him.

I hate Uwe Boll, he's like the Hitler of cinema. To those who don't know, Uwe in real life sounds like a big A-hole and that's coming from the people who worked with him and how horrible and rude he was. So him and his movies are both very sh't.

I would compare Seed to the god awful that was The Human Centipede 2, both films are mindless gore that leads to nowhere and the pure ugliness that is both films.
December 29, 2014
PETA delivered some hardcore footage of animal cruelty. Be warned.
August 29, 2014
2007's "Seed" is a retro-slasher from Uwe Boll, meant to lament a frustration over his cold reception into the horror world. More people seem to hate him than like him, it seems. There has only been a handful of films that Boll has directed that are in my wheelhouse as far as what I will watch. I actually liked more of those than I hated. I can't speak for him based on all his material because a lot of the films he has made aren't films I would watch regardless of the director or star.

As far as "Seed" is concerned, I found the film to be a dark, graphic, and blunt expressionist nightmare. The film stars Will Sanderson, Michael Paré, Ralf Möller, Jodelle Ferland, Thea Gill and Andrew Jackson. The story gives rise to a brutal, stoic killer that seems to kill for the shear pleasure of the torturous process of killing his victims. Not sure the motive, or reason for the obsession other than it appears to be his fetish, not the act of taking the life but the process by which the body finally breaks, along with the gruesome and macabre aftermath. All of which Uwe Boll forces the viewer to experience head on.

"Seed" is filmed in heavy atmospheric surrealism, blended with moments of splatter gore. Set in the 70's, the backdrop is as macabre and depressing as the notion of witnessing the life leave someone you love. The killer, Seed, is a large, terrifying force of cruelty and death, shown completely and utterly without remorse or compassion. I am not even sure if he understands an actual difference between right and wrong. It wasn't really established. Normally that would be an issue, however Boll frames the whole story as if we stepped into the middle of a horror unfolding. It forces you to either check out completely or set up and figure out the situation as you go. I actually enjoyed that because it made the viewing experience slightly uncomfortable.

The acting is pretty good in "Seed". Most of the film is build on tense emotional interactions with limited dialog. The soundtrack and character conflicts tell most of the story. The dialog that does happen is based in the present with now "wordy" reflections or deep philosophical speeches to justify what we are seeing. The film really does feel classic in nature. The cinematography reminded me of "Hellraiser: Inferno", with heavy noir elements. For me personally there is more that works here than goes wrong.

The special effects and soundtrack combine to give "Seed" that total horror feel. The slasher side of Boll's vision is strong in the kill/death sequences. Most are practical effects that really push the comfortability level-moving into heavy splatter / gore territory. The downside is that, in a couple of the scenes, CGI spoils the overall effect of realism that is created by most of the other deaths. Uwe Boll has a habit of taking the effects one step to far into the tacky -where the CGI becomes too obvious to let the scene have a strong impact. Plus some of the sound effects, although very creepy and effect, seem like rip-offs of films that have come before "Seed". But overall, "Seed" is an entertaining, brutal piece of slasher/ horror that most fans will enjoy-I did. -
½ July 8, 2014
Another pretty CGI gore fest pretty bad
December 23, 2013
More garbage from Uwe Boll. About half way through the film there is a scene where a victim is slowly bludgeoned to death with an axe, besides having the dubious honour of being the best part of the movie this was also analogous to the experience of watching the feature. 'Seed' is badly made in almost every aspect but it is its lack of tension which is the major failing.
½ October 22, 2013
How on earth does shit like this get made...?
October 19, 2013
A decent film by Uwe Boll.
½ July 18, 2013
Why is his head always covered? Boring and stupid movie. Not scary, no gore! Watching people starved to death and rotted is not a horror movie, it's called a science show!
May 28, 2013
the video he is watching is real footage of the chinese furtrade. i seen the same footage on youtube before it was removed and obviously uwe did aswell and used them in his movie. the electricution part was pretty cool but there is one scene where the killer picks apart a girls skull with numorous hammer swings for a overly long time. the blood looked fake and the scene was pointless so i turned it off at that.
April 28, 2013
Absolute dogshite gore for gore sake!
March 21, 2013
Sadistic horror. "One for extreme gore connoisseurs, a Uwe Boll special. It's so appalling that it's worthy of an eve's viewing." "Compared to this malignant wreck, the harsh and brutal Saw 3 and Hostel 2 have the subtext of Shakespeare and the moral compass of Superman."
March 10, 2013
very gory. The hammer scene is brutal.
January 31, 2013
Wow way too much negativity for this one... We live in an age where it is difficult to put across sadistic characteristics in a movie because we've seen the same formula so many times. Seed touches on grounds of torture that haven't really been shown to this level before... I for one found this a fascinating film and actually enjoyed it, the downside is simply the blackness of some shots, it's too dark to distinguish the events, but it sure builds up suspense well!
January 22, 2013
Uwe Boll? I must kill myself with bad movies.
January 16, 2013
Defintely a step-up from other Boll movies. The realistic part is the fact Max seed is a murderer who has no limits as many do not. A terrifying tale that will stick in your mind long after you see it. Max is not you father's serial killer, so be warned.
½ November 25, 2012
Why has this movie attracted so many negative reviews? There's actual substance here and it's not gratuitous violence. Evil may not have a face but it hangs on the scales of justice and it strikes a balance, even if that means some pretty sick shit. Seed is not for the squeamish or faint of heart. There are scenes of unimaginable horror, bathtubs filled with blood soaked body parts, impalement, torture, and sweet vengeance. It's not surprising the American public doesn't like this film. Aside from sins against God, Seed has a surprise ending that many consumers will find displeasing to the fairy god mother and her ilk. Overall, I say, not too shabby. Check it out, you might just enjoy yourself.
October 13, 2012
a real wow in the realistic gruesome area. sadistic, definitely a 5 for me. get past the buried alive plot and its the bomb!
October 9, 2012
According to U.S. law, any convict who somehow manages to survive three 15,000 volt jolts from the electric chair for 15 seconds is eligible to walk free. When notorious psychopath Max Seed is strapped into the chair and electrocuted three times, Seed is still breathing. Realizing the dangers of letting such an unrepentant menace back on the streets, the executioner and the prison doctor pronounce Seed dead. Subsequently bound and buried alive, the enraged Seed somehow manages to escape from his premature grave, and quickly sets out to prove just how alive he truly is

In 1978, John Carpenter made Halloween, a slasher film which told the tale of a hulking serial killer with utterly compelling characters and boasted little to no graphic violence and gore. Many have imitated that film, but without the compelling characters and with an endless torrent of blood and gore.

And then came Seed....which also failed.

Uwe Boll seems to believe that to make a horror film, you have to make it bloody, and then add more blood on top of that and throw in an unnecessary baby killing, which is about as effective as throwing banana skin at Godzilla. The story is a typically generic one about a hulking serial killer who leaves a bloody trail of murder and is seemingly unkillable, like Michael Myers or Jason Voorhes. Only Seed, the titular serial killer, is nowhere near as iconic or interesting to watch.

He's supposedly a sick psychopath, and we are told to go along with it while he kills and watches footage of animal killings, but we're never given a look as to what really defined him as a sick psychopath, we're just told to make a leap of faith that an antisocial kid who survived a bus crash grew up to kill people. While Michael Myers and Jason Voorhes didn't exactly have detailed backgrounds (in their first films) as to why they are what they are, they at least didn't make a leap akin to Homer Simpson jumping Springfield Gorge on his son's skateboard.

Boll clearly does not know subtlety, by showcasing the obvious in the worst ways possible. To show Seed is tough, he has him kill three prison guards that are about to rape him, and to show he's sick, the film opens with the titular serial killer watching real footage of animal killings. Couldn't the director have used something less disgusting and tasteless?

Considering the film's only 90 minutes long, it really says something that the film should've been cut down, considering how many scenes were unnecessarily dragged out. The best example of this is the scene which is one long shot of Seed beating a woman to death with a chisel for five straight minutes, with very obvious CGI present.

From unwatchable beginning to anticlimactic ending, Seed is nothing more than proof that Uwe Boll is a talentless hack. It's a film desperate for attention and an utter bore, making it seem impossible to get through the 90 minute run time. Boll remarked that he wanted to make a film that was no fun to watch, and with that, he succeeded.
½ September 2, 2012
Just because you have the killer watching brutal real-life animal killings and you have the prolonged starvation death of an infant does not mean your movie is shocking. What it does mean is that you suck as a director and can only rely on cheap tactics rather than any kind of talent.
Also it has one of the worst CG death sequences ever commited to film. Ever.
Seriously.