Splinter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splinter Reviews

April 14, 2018
A severely underrated horror film that satisfies in scaring us but is still not quite an A.
½ March 20, 2018
D-. The only redeeming quality of this movie was the occasional good monster/splinter shot. The final monster was a joke, there were editing/plot mistakes, and the plot turned stupid to the point of major audience insult.
½ January 5, 2018
The story doesn't do much new but that's ok because everything else is done so well.
½ November 28, 2017
A somewhat imperfect, yet overall greatly executed horror flick about a particularly nasty parasite that kills and infects victims through splinters. Where this film succeeds is in both the exemplary emphasis on developing the characters, and in the absolutely phenomenal practical gore effects, as there is not even an OUNCE of CGI in this movie, which suits it amazingly well, especially considering it's slight similarity to "The Thing". 8.7/10
November 28, 2017
Scary and thrilling...
November 8, 2017
one of the best low budget movies i have seen.
October 8, 2017
Well done! Loved it!
September 12, 2017
Splinter had its moments but I was hoping for more. Overall it's a good story and premise but failed keeping me entertained. The acting is decent along with the camera shots and monster effects. The boyfriend is pretty much worthless and surprised he didn't die. It is worth the watch but you may be let down with where the story goes.
January 6, 2017
Surprisingly good little creature feature. Fairly unique design on said creature - I say fairly only because it was a little reminiscent of The Thing. For an unknown horror, there seemed to be a decent budget. The acting was good, and so were the effects. If you enjoy monster movies, check this one out.
December 6, 2016
Extremely low budget, but in a good way. Using make-up and camera tricks to get the scary across, and it was effective. Of course the shaky camera when someone (or something) attacks is irritating some times, but that's the charm of it. Simple & Scary times.
½ November 30, 2016
Fast-paced and amazing monster.
½ October 18, 2016
Strong filmmaking, effects and idea. Pays off for a relatively good little horror film.
October 15, 2016
A low budget movie with unknown actors that is quite entertaining.
September 16, 2016
A tightly-packed little thriller with a surprisingly unique, cringe-inducing (in a good way!) monster design.
September 4, 2016
Competent, late night filler.
August 15, 2016
Really solid, old-fashioned practical effects monster movie.
½ June 15, 2016
Splinter is an example of how all you need in the art form of cinema is a decent premise, dedicated actors in their roles, & creative direction. What the film doesn't have is a huge budget, CGI, & big name actors. Not having these, in my opinion benefited this great movie. Splinter is one of the best horror/hostage/science fiction/creature feature movies in a very long time. This film is a great way to return to the basic roots of horror, and science fiction. This movie reminded me very much of an '80s and '90s film Sam Raimi would get Bruce Campbell to sign up for. This whole idea, of some kind of creature taking over our bodies, and dominating, morphing, and killing life on Earth, is a breath of fresh air from the remakes and reboots we've been getting lately. These creatures, and the special practical effects, are so amazing. That just like the creatures themselves they made my bones crack, snap, and pop in unnatural positions. Horror fans like me, especially enjoy these types of effects, because we no longer see them, and if we do, it's not as well done as Splinter. The story is original, and the characters come off as realistic individuals. My only complaint is the movie has some scenes of shaky camera work, when the creature arrives. However, I can see why some people wouldn't mind this. It allows the viewer, to not fully see the creature, and it adds a little bit of suspense. Accordingly, the film is at its finest, when these characters need to make decisions, and the sudden shock of these creatures bursting at you on screen. Hence, even if you are not a fan of horror movies, I believe this movie is worth viewing. Also, if you're in the mood for some fun, shocking moments, and an old style creature feature look no further than Splinter. Thank you for reading, and have an amazing day as always. :)
½ May 17, 2016
Splinter 2008. A solid horror movie with a very simple story. What steals the show is the Splinter Monster or even more accurately the Splinter Monstrosity. What the special effects team does with movement makes this monster really pop. Enough scares and stomach turning situations to keep you tense from start to finish. I highly recommend this to any horror fan.
February 24, 2016
An inventive homage to body horror movies. Splinter offers old school monster thrills, a surprisingly smart script and much more intelligent characters that unnaturally learn from what horrors they see.
February 21, 2016