Splinter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splinter Reviews

½ October 18, 2016
Strong filmmaking, effects and idea. Pays off for a relatively good little horror film.
October 15, 2016
A low budget movie with unknown actors that is quite entertaining.
September 16, 2016
A tightly-packed little thriller with a surprisingly unique, cringe-inducing (in a good way!) monster design.
September 4, 2016
Competent, late night filler.
August 15, 2016
Really solid, old-fashioned practical effects monster movie.
½ June 15, 2016
Splinter is an example of how all you need in the art form of cinema is a decent premise, dedicated actors in their roles, & creative direction. What the film doesn't have is a huge budget, CGI, & big name actors. Not having these, in my opinion benefited this great movie. Splinter is one of the best horror/hostage/science fiction/creature feature movies in a very long time. This film is a great way to return to the basic roots of horror, and science fiction. This movie reminded me very much of an '80s and '90s film Sam Raimi would get Bruce Campbell to sign up for. This whole idea, of some kind of creature taking over our bodies, and dominating, morphing, and killing life on Earth, is a breath of fresh air from the remakes and reboots we've been getting lately. These creatures, and the special practical effects, are so amazing. That just like the creatures themselves they made my bones crack, snap, and pop in unnatural positions. Horror fans like me, especially enjoy these types of effects, because we no longer see them, and if we do, it's not as well done as Splinter. The story is original, and the characters come off as realistic individuals. My only complaint is the movie has some scenes of shaky camera work, when the creature arrives. However, I can see why some people wouldn't mind this. It allows the viewer, to not fully see the creature, and it adds a little bit of suspense. Accordingly, the film is at its finest, when these characters need to make decisions, and the sudden shock of these creatures bursting at you on screen. Hence, even if you are not a fan of horror movies, I believe this movie is worth viewing. Also, if you're in the mood for some fun, shocking moments, and an old style creature feature look no further than Splinter. Thank you for reading, and have an amazing day as always. :)
½ May 17, 2016
Splinter 2008. A solid horror movie with a very simple story. What steals the show is the Splinter Monster or even more accurately the Splinter Monstrosity. What the special effects team does with movement makes this monster really pop. Enough scares and stomach turning situations to keep you tense from start to finish. I highly recommend this to any horror fan.
February 24, 2016
An inventive homage to body horror movies. Splinter offers old school monster thrills, a surprisingly smart script and much more intelligent characters that unnaturally learn from what horrors they see.
February 21, 2016
A piece of entertainment
½ January 24, 2016
A guilty little horror pleasure, with nice buckets of gore, solid acting, high quality camera and a real thrilling situation. Although the special effects are not seen that much cause the camera gets shacky when ever the virus comes on screen. But in general, it is a real good horror gore flick but you shouldnt take the flick too seriously . Recommended !!
January 19, 2016
A solid genre piece that would have got 7/10 if not for a very painful start to the third act, which was rubbish and frustrating (get to the car...)
December 11, 2015
Mediocre handling of monster sequences with shaky and quick cuts, but fairly solid acting and remarkable practical effects.
August 30, 2015
Not sure what to expect from this film I went into it completely blind short of the DVD cover images. Boy was I in for a treat. The combination of zombie film, with monster movie, with a contagious infection flick really worked for me. It's right up my alley.
The FX in this film are quite good and the film is full of gruesome goodness. The concept, is quite interesting and while I think it needed a bit more fleshing out and backstory... I'm happy if someone tackles that in a sequel.
The film isn't all that unexpected once you get what's going on and short of the concept, isn't all that original... but what it does do, it does well.
I would easily recommend this film to those who I think would dig it. The nature of the film and the gorry aspects of it might turn the lesser minded viewers away ;)
August 7, 2015
Verry disturbing! The acting is pretty good and the effect are spot on!
May 31, 2015
An excellent example of how a low-budget film can excel in style and story without being flamboyant. It's a decent enough situational horror as well.
April 11, 2015
More weird than scary, the claustrophobic Splinter works well on a few levels like the extremely efficient, slow pace and effective performances, unfortunately it just isn't that scary. An intriguing story makes way for an unfortunate unravelling of a seemingly tightly-sewn plot.
½ March 3, 2015
Was different for a change.
February 25, 2015
An excellent horror flick.
February 19, 2015
I thought this movie was great. Very unsettling. The actors portrayed their parts very accurately, without resorting to stereotypical behaviour at any points. The main premise was just original enough to keep things interesting.
February 6, 2015
A good ol indie splatterfest digging back to gory roots like The Thing with a simple story and gruesome outcomes.