Splinter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Splinter Reviews

August 30, 2015
Not sure what to expect from this film I went into it completely blind short of the DVD cover images. Boy was I in for a treat. The combination of zombie film, with monster movie, with a contagious infection flick really worked for me. It's right up my alley.
The FX in this film are quite good and the film is full of gruesome goodness. The concept, is quite interesting and while I think it needed a bit more fleshing out and backstory... I'm happy if someone tackles that in a sequel.
The film isn't all that unexpected once you get what's going on and short of the concept, isn't all that original... but what it does do, it does well.
I would easily recommend this film to those who I think would dig it. The nature of the film and the gorry aspects of it might turn the lesser minded viewers away ;)
August 7, 2015
Verry disturbing! The acting is pretty good and the effect are spot on!
May 31, 2015
An excellent example of how a low-budget film can excel in style and story without being flamboyant. It's a decent enough situational horror as well.
April 11, 2015
More weird than scary, the claustrophobic Splinter works well on a few levels like the extremely efficient, slow pace and effective performances, unfortunately it just isn't that scary. An intriguing story makes way for an unfortunate unravelling of a seemingly tightly-sewn plot.
½ March 3, 2015
Was different for a change.
February 25, 2015
An excellent horror flick.
February 19, 2015
I thought this movie was great. Very unsettling. The actors portrayed their parts very accurately, without resorting to stereotypical behaviour at any points. The main premise was just original enough to keep things interesting.
February 6, 2015
A good ol indie splatterfest digging back to gory roots like The Thing with a simple story and gruesome outcomes.
January 19, 2015
The most shocking thing about this solid horror flick is that it's characters are (more or less) allowed to behave and think in a logical way rather than be slave to exposition and machinations that force cheap frights. Pile on this lots of really icky prosthetic effects and intensity, and you're onto a satisfying horror thriller.
January 19, 2015
I expected this to be a squicky but still generic horror movie but found that while it IS that it managed to do something a lot of horror movies fail at. It had well thought out believable characters. By the time you fully grasp the situation you've become attached to all three main characters, even the one you start out thinking you should hate. You WANT them to get out of this and definitely don't want to see them killed by this particular nasty. So much so that at one point I had to pause the movie to prep myself when I was sure one of them was about to bite it. The only draw back was that the story could of been solved far sooner then it was but then again perhaps that just added to the realistic human actions taken in an unbelievable life and death situation where any false move could mean a death more horrific then any of the traps in Saw.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
Not the best horror movie out there and its a low budget all the way. The story are kinda weak and i thought the acting suffered also. I miss out the horror feeling a bit aswell but for being a B horror its "okey" but not more..
½ December 28, 2014
If you are a fan of Claustrophobic monster flicks such as John Carpenter's The Thing, this hidden gem if for you. Small cast of great actors in a film that takes place almost exclusively in a gas station. Splinter has great practical effects that are entertaining to both gore fans and monster fans. This is a film monster-lovers don't want to miss.
½ December 3, 2014
Great movie. Splinter evokes fond memories of John Carpenter's The Thing in the paranoia of a foreign thing infecting and taking over one's body, the only difference being in this it's unknown if it's alien and it's clear who's infected and who isn't. The film is a thrill ride from the minute the couple are kidnapped to the closing credits, the visual effects and prosthetics involved with the creature are incredible and disturbing, and the way the camera never fully shows what the creature completely looks like adds to the disturbing image we already do see. The performances are okay for the genre, Whigham and Wagner probably being the better of them.
November 3, 2014
Some of the best movies are the ones you never hear about. Well paced and deliciously original. The effects are great in the sense you are never quite sure what you are fighting. The horror films that work are the ones that follow lovecraft's old "its so horrifying that if I described it to you you would go insane." The characters are both intelligent and risky. It also takes casting ri ds ks by making a point that the heros are both ANTI hero. The main hero is a brainy jewish nerd and the self sacrificer is a good ol boy con who is anything but empathetic. Lots of good gore ride alongside the fears of disfigurement and parasites and the fear of the unknown.
November 1, 2014
Good one - and another movie that loves THE THING, which I am super okay with.
½ October 17, 2014
Nice pacing, good cinematography, some gore. The parasitic monster seems actually plausible. Less convincing is the ex-con's insistence going from angry, demanding "you're my hostages, shut up, don't run" to "I'm a reformed, changed man who wants to donate money to the widow whose husband I killed in my meth-addicted past."
September 26, 2014
nasty little horror that preys on an audiences fear of getting a splinter eek
September 17, 2014
When it comes to a horror film, particular a "creature feature" sort of film, there are a handful of things that make it interesting to me:

1) Are characters interesting?
2) Do things make sense, or do characters do stupid things for the sake of the plot?
3) Is the creature itself interesting?

If all three of these of these questions are answered in the "no", there's generally very little that can help the film. If all three of the questions are answered in the "yes", it's generally going to interest me, possibly even keep me riveted.

Splinter is not a perfect film, but I liked most of the characters, none of them really seemed outright stupid to me (except the one female cop, though I see why she acted the way she did to an extent), and the creature itself was bizarre and edged more towards believable than unbelievable (if one doesn't look too closely, which one really can't for this kind of film)

Regardless, if you aren't much a fan of this sort of genre, you can safely give this film a pass. There's nothing truly groundbreaking or innovative about it. But it still is nicely tied up, doesn't make your brain rebel from the silliness of it all, and makes for an overall effective horror film.
½ September 6, 2014
Creepy ass flick, worth a rental.
September 3, 2014
Splinter contains not only wonderful creature effects and fantastic gore, but also very likeable and believable characters, together with hand-chewing suspense. Certainly one of the most underrated horror films of recent times.