Leaves of Grass - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Leaves of Grass Reviews

½ August 31, 2016
I take notes on every movie I watch, including the date I watched it. Apparently I watched this on September 14, and thought it had "spotty pacing and tone". I will just have to trust my notes on this one, because I can barely remember anything about this "dark comedy whose darkness and comedy don't always match well".
jjnxn
½ November 29, 2015
Starts out as a silly comedy than takes a disastrous turn about an hour in and crashes and burns.
½ November 24, 2015
Thoroughly uneven black comedy which is largely unfunny, the novelty of Norton's dual role quickly runs out despite what is decent work from him. The viewer is mainly left to question why this was made.
½ November 14, 2015
This is the most pretentious movie of all time. Jesus Fucking Christ
½ August 27, 2015
When Ivy League classics professor Bill Kincaid receives news of the murder of his estranged identical twin brother, Brady in a pot deal gone bad, he leaves the world of Northeastern academia to travel back to his home state of Oklahoma. Upon arrival, he finds that reports of his brother's death are greatly exaggerated, and he's soon caught up in the dangerous and unpredictable world of drug commerce in the backwaters of the Southwest. In the process, he reconnects with his eccentric mother, meets a wise and educated young woman who has bypassed academia in favor of the gentler rhythms of life, and unwittingly helps his troubled brother settle a score with a pernicious drug lord who uses Tulsa's small Jewish community for cover.
July 3, 2015
Ed Norton, Keri Russell and Susan Sarandon on point. Not quite the natural tastiest.
½ June 2, 2015
Good story, Norton took a pay cut to be part of it and you can tell he's completely on board.
½ February 22, 2015
I felt this movie is very underrated I loved the acting from the whole cast and thought the storyline was intriguing. Also very impressed with Edward Norton pulling off two completely different characters almost felt like they were different actors
September 14, 2014
Just for the super-versatile Edward Norton & the amazing country-folk soundtrack this is a must watch.
September 1, 2014
Judging by the title, I was expecting this to be a stoner comedy. It's far from that, but not a bad black comedy. One scene with a crazy Jewish orthodontist was particularly funny. Almost worth watching.
August 24, 2014
Edward Norton playing two characters? Sound a bit like Fight Club IYKWIM . But in this one he actually plays two characters. It's been a while anyone has seen the double acting scene in a new movie. This one pulls it off quite well I guess. But such a tragic movie. Pointless deaths. Great acting by one of the best.
½ August 15, 2014
Great movie. Funny, smart, dramatic, wacky, with an incredible dual performance from Norton, and great direction from Nelson.
½ July 4, 2014
Essentially an attempt to make a Cohen brothers movie which works well in the first half, but the plot doesn't quite hold up and starts getting too silly and over the top towards the end. Edward Norton was trying a bit too hard playing a redneck, and same goes to the movie as a whole.
July 2, 2014
Tim Blake Nelson set out to make a good movie... Profound, poignant and hilarious with a commendably askew approach--Twice the screen time with Edward Norton... Funny, dark, well-played!!
June 8, 2014
Edward Norton is one of the finest Actors today,it's a shame his amazing performance here is wasted on the silly film
April 21, 2014
Literally does what pot heads have been doing since forever: throwing philosophy and weed together.

Ed Norton plays twins; a marijuana grower that stayed home down South, and a Classics professor that left his accent and in turn his family behind.

Even then the movie is deeper than just stereotypical sibling tension. It considers questions of fate, family, education, and human desperation -all the while still being funny.

Critics will claim a tone that too often moves between drama and comedy, between profound and farcical -but that's a main part of the charm.

Any movie where a brother with a higher IQ smokes out his long forsaken sibling deserves at least some attention.

This movie is that much more clever in the way it makes the weed farmer the brother with the higher IQ.

Leaves of Grass not only breaks the mold by being a philosophically-minded Southern crime/family dramedy -it breaks expectations by being a really good one.
March 27, 2014
A criminally underrated modern American masterpiece and perhaps Ed Norton's finest hour. I can't recommend this one enough.
½ February 1, 2014
It's only good because of Edward Norton but not too good
November 30, 2013
Why is Edward Norton not in more movies?