Middle of Nowhere - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Middle of Nowhere Reviews

May 19, 2016
Picturesque, delicate & ironic regardless its sometimes cliches.
July 25, 2015
Not bad, though thought it might have been a little better. I think the main problem was the casting (aside from Susan Sarandon, who is excellent, though an unlike able character). I didn't really like the two leads, although the younger sister was not bad - I would have liked a little more of her story.
The drugs angle felt a little tired, and done to death too, though, to be fair, this is from 2008, so it probably wasn't such a done theme as it is now.
January 22, 2014
These characters were amazing. The ending was rather bittersweet and yet perfect for this story.
January 7, 2014
Great cast with a sad plot, but heartwarming ending.
½ October 6, 2013
Middle of Nowhere is an independent film and another example of a dark comedy that tries too hard to be funny. They had a weak storyline, but a very strong cast, and I felt it was a film that could have easily been a lot better. Dorian (Anton Yelchin) is a spoiled kid, who never had to work a day in his life. After yet another rebellious act against his parents, the seventeen year old is sent to live with his uncle for the summer. He starts working at the local water park, where he meets Grace (Eva Amurri), a girl who is his complete opposite. She is desperate to earn money for school and Dorian is looking to act out, so the two decide they can both achieve their goals by selling pot together. The story doesn't really make a whole lot of sense to me, because the characters are nothing like they describe themselves to be. Dorian is rich and only there for a couple of months, he doesn't need the money, so why take the risk? Grace, she's always had to be the mature one, taking charge of her family, but we don't see her do that at all. The film is definitely a bit strange, while at the same time being somewhat slow and predictable, but what makes it worth seeing is Anton Yelchin. The Russian born, former child actor, has such charisma and really thrives in roles like this. If you saw Charlie Bartlett, then you know exactly what I am talking about. Yelchin is on another level, outgoing, energetic, quick witted, he's the kid in this film, but as it would turn out, he's also the smartest one of all. Yelchin's personality is larger than life and he will completely draw you in, sadly, other than his performance, this film wasn't much of anything. The story is predictable, the humor is dry, and the rest of the cast really wasn't anything special.
July 30, 2013
This romantic comedy may be entertaining but it blends so well with the other American so called indie flicks of its time that it seems forgettable and severely lacking in originality.
December 29, 2012
I liked it more than I thought, especially thanks to Anton Yelchin's performance, he steals the show in the movie.
August 14, 2012
Beautiful Eva Amurri is Grace, a very prim young woman who works at a waterpark and lives with her mom and sister in a large mansion. She meets a young man, also from a wealthy background, who gets into trouble and has been exiled to his uncle's home. He invites her to be his partner as he makes a living off of selling drugs to other people and surprisingly, due to a great need of money for paying off debts and paying for school, she agrees to his scheme.

Throughout the film we see the two go through their lives, their decisions, their mistakes learning and trying to do their best, dealing with the family and family secrets that they have. Grace meets a guy and soon her glorious beauty is revealed slowly, unfurled, on a brief date that they go out on.

We see her relationship with her younger sister and her rather flighty mom change gradually. Her sister latches onto the guy whom Grace is partnered with and the sister almost ends up in trouble when she accompanies him out to a party. 8/10
June 17, 2012
Adolescentes lidiando con dramas familiares. Yelchin tiene algo que lo hace adorable.
March 6, 2012
An interesting character study film...though I felt the most likeable and believable person in this film is Anton Yelchin. He did an unbelievably good job in this movie, and even if you just see this film for his performance, it makes it worth watching. Not a perfect film, but one made so much better with Yelchin's shine.
January 9, 2012
I liked it.
It didn't follow the usual script of either teenage comeupance or sticking it to the man. It was a nice thoughtful film.
Maybe it was my complete boredom that gave it the extra zist but I really liked. Nice background scenery in the driving sections, slow meandering pace and funny insights. No background narrative ala Goodefellas and ripped off everywhere else.
The ending was probably a little bittersweet/ ridiculous. In saying that, maybe everyone is not meant to be together and maybe it's not ridiculous.
I really wanted him to give his birth mam a huge, so it worked on me, in that I felt for the character of Dorian, and thought some of precocious Taylor's comments, " are you selling drugs?", "let's got to Atlantic city", were brilliant.
Maybe it failed a bit with the central character of Grace, it's difficult to care too much about her, especially with respect to her cliched romance with Ben, zzzz. and the fact that she is like a mono dimensional movie character but it's a surprise to see an average rating of 57%. Dorian describes how she is brilliant, etc. but it's hard to see how she's all that, sullen, pouty and totally ignoring and stringing along Dorian. I guess she probably worked as a character too as the annoyance still lingers on.
Why not at the very least insist she will pay Dorian back the money, (character)? It's a pity. Why doesn't she say anything apart from money. Why not say something like, "if you don't understand without the explanation, you won't understand with the explanation!".
It reminds me a bit of Igby goes down. That won a shed load of awards, etc. but this has seemingly garnered little or no attention.
I only watched it because it was a ,1 rental on itunes plus I thought it would be a girly flick for my wife but having watched it, I actually really liked it.
December 27, 2011
'Do you understand that he's never, ever, in his whole life going to understand how special you are? You are so smart, and beautiful and cool and fun to hang out with, alright? And you've gone through so much in your life, and he hasn't struggled a single day! He hasn't worked for anything that he has! He's gotten everything that he has from his parents! '
December 18, 2011
Eva Amurri is probably one of my favorite little known actresses. She just seems like a real person, and always plays her parts like she's actually living them.
In this movie, she plays Grace, who's main goal in life is to go to school and become a doctor. That is all put in to jeopardy because her mother, played by Susan Sarandon who is Amurri's mom in real life, recklessly went through all of her money. She meets Dorian, played by Anton Yelchin from Alpha Dog and Star Trek, who talks her into joining his "business" for extra money.
This movie is very sweet, real and has a ton of heart. It surprised me in how good it actually was. Definitely a must-see for anyone who agrees that one the biggest obstacles in life is the fact that you can pick your friends but you can't pick your family.
October 14, 2011
I expected this to be just another slacker/druggie flick, but that's not the point at all. Anton Yelchin and Eva Amurri both deliver such realistic, moving performances that it doesn't matter that the movie is a bit slow-moving. They're both so relatable, and the entire film flows really nicely. I was very impressed.
October 9, 2011
I liked it thought it was interesting
September 13, 2011
A movie about finding answers to life at that age. Entertaining and engaging at some point but fizzles towards the end.
September 5, 2011
This is the same sort of movie as little miss sunshine. Not my thing.
June 13, 2011
random movie i decided to check out because it was on netflix, it was actually pretty enjoyable. the ending with the girls didn't leave me happy though.
June 2, 2011
"Middle Of Nowhere is a pretty good movie, i liked it thanks to excellent performances. The biggest name in the movie is: Susan Sarandon who was great as usual but it's the young talented cast that standout here. Eva Amurri from Showtime's Californication gives a good performance, similar to Jesse Eisenberg' in Adventureland. Willa Holland as the younger sister of Amurri's character is good here, this is the second time i've seen here (I first saw her in Legion), she's a pretty decent actress. But the show to me goes to the quickly rising star Anton Yelchin, he's gives probably his best performance of his career even better than in Alpha Dog, he's quickly becoming one of the best young actors by picking awesome roles, it's a matter of time when he''ll get an Oscar nod (he's an awesome actor)."