Anna Reviews

• Oct 10, 2014

A sophisticated, fascinating bilingual drama. Sally Kirkland's performance is mesmerizing and beautiful. I loved her magnificent presence on-screen.

• Jan 25, 2013

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] A well-acted and interesting film.

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Aug 19, 2012

A failing former actress from Czechoslovakia takes another Czech refugee under her wing, and the fledgling actress eclipses her mentor's success. The film's plot, similar to All about Eve, is not compelling by itself. What is interesting about the film is the portrayal of the acting world that Anna tries to navigate. The opening audition scene with actresses forced to tell personal sexual stories makes for great satire and sets up Anna's character well. Also, Paulina Porizkova, doe-eyed beauty that she is, is actually more charming and alluring than the similar character played by Anna Baxter in All about Eve. Sally Kirkland, however, plays the lead, and though her performance netted her an Oscar nod, an Independent Spirit Award, and a Golden Globe, I think it's remarkably uneven. The plot makes her go through hysterical breakdown after hysterical breakdown, and even if each of these is well-acted, there comes a point when Anna seems too unhinged. Kirkland doesn't build, and the film suffers as a result. Overall, Kirkland isn't as good as she could be, but parts of the film are well done, and I was introduced to the intriguing Porizkova.

• Sep 26, 2009

Kirkland makes the movie.

Kirkland makes the movie.

• Aug 27, 2009

Saw about half before I had to return to work...really piqued my interest.

Saw about half before I had to return to work...really piqued my interest.

• Apr 15, 2009

Very good film starring Sally Kirkland as an actress from Czechoslovakia who flees to America and struggles to find work. It's sort of like an updated version of All About Eve, and the story is sort of predictable from time to time, but man, Sally Kirkland is incredible in this. Though I still haven't seen Ironweed yet, I would have voted for Kirkland this year for Best Actress. The scene where she tells the story of her past to her friend/fan Krystyna is amazing to watch. A terrific performance

• Dec 22, 2007

The story of a famous Eastern European star who is forced to seek exile in America and deal with a completely different definition of culture and art. Bogayevicz does a good job at portraying the love-hate relationship between Anna and America which eventually leads her to a mental-breakdown. This film touches upon a lot of issues, and fails to dig deeper on any of them; just like its main topic, it tends to be quite skin-deep at times.

• Nov 13, 2007

"Anna," a fable of fleeting beauty and America's obsession with youthfulness, is full of wonderful moments, yet it's not without its wrinkles. A bittersweet look at an actress' struggle with aging, it serves chiefly as a dramatic showcase for Sally Kirkland's superb, Oscar-nominated performance. She manages to be convincing even when this ethnic take on the off-Broadway blues becomes downright ridiculous.