Anna Christie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Anna Christie Reviews

September 12, 2009
You wait a painful 16 minutes until Ms. Garbo finally makes her entrance, but oh my, it's a beautiful one. Her first talkie, she doesn't even show signs of anxiousness in having to build her voice's popularity to match her images'. A cool, collected performance that presents the closed-off, cynical, young Anna in an appropriate way - and then the issue of her past is confronted. Excellent example of good cinema!
August 2, 2009
This was terrible. It felt very dated, and the male actors were awful.
July 30, 2009
So this was my introduction to Greta Garbo & obviously the worlds in the 30's. Wonderful pre-code hay's/hollywood film. Greta Garbo's character as 'Anna Christie' is tragically beautiful. Marie Dressler also gives a memorable performance as well.
½ June 8, 2009
the movie is ok, but garbo is great in her 1st talking film. she has great presence and shows off her beautiful speaking voice
April 27, 2009
Greta Garbo's earliest "talkie" movie. It was ok. I liked her feminist approach to life, rejecting both her father and her boyfriend's attempts to control her...to possess her. But the end seems contrived and even Garbo, who is usually so subtle, was over dramatic.
½ January 26, 2009
Kind of hard for me to hear, but Greta Garbo is very good in it.
October 28, 2008
garbo's sound film debut came with the 1930 adaptation of o'neill's play about a swedish prostitute trying to reform her life. garbo would also film an all german version of this property.
½ August 8, 2008
aaaah, the early days of sound cinema where the sound mix hadnt quite been perfected and acting was still a little overemotive. with those considered this was still a little boring. in fact, it was very boring. marie dressler was hammy and a bit awful. she was much better in dinner at eight. garbo was worthy enough and provide a hint of the stage presence in sound film she would become later in her career
August 4, 2008
Movies of the silent era were gone, and in their place there were these films that are quite close to silence. The plot is interesting, it meanders from comedy to drama, though it sticks to it's core. A saucy Garbo. The long bw exposures of New York are cool. It's alright if you enjoy old films, and if you don't then you should.
August 4, 2008
its Garbo what more needs to be said
½ July 8, 2008
Uneventful, completely unlikeable characters and lacks any kind of pace, but I'd watch Garbo in anything so I guess it's OK. Marie Dressler was genius too.
June 17, 2008
A bit too dramatic for me, even given the time period. Interesting to see Garbo's transition from silents films though.
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
March 17, 2008
I had expected alot more from Greta's first talking film, her performance is great but the movie suffers so much from the cencorship laws of the time.
February 20, 2008
Garbo is excellent, it's well written, and it does a lot within some very small and limited sets.
January 24, 2008
Fairly good acting and set design but the filming was very simple, the lines rather long and the story line rather dry... I wouldn't have liked it much without Garbo and the actor who played the father.
½ November 22, 2007
Great Film! Greta is so beautiful in this film
November 13, 2007
Like Greta Garbo, and in this film she has great screen presence & memorable lines. The story is of little interest though.
November 4, 2007
Garbo speaks!! Having only seen her in silent films previously it was weired, but she's great as the former prostitute struggling for a happy relationship.
October 27, 2007
Garbo Talks! "Gimme a whiskey, ginger ale on the side. And don't be stingy, baby!"