Personal Effects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Personal Effects Reviews

½ August 1, 2015
ow my god what a crap movie one of the worst i have seen in a while !!!!! two of the best actors given an awful movie.
½ June 25, 2015
This was a nuanced, heartfelt story about two people's distinct losses (loved ones killed in crimes) who bonded in the aftermath of their grief. It was sensitive and delicate, the performances were great -- I expected this from Michele Pfeiffer but Ashton Kutcher is a real actor (who knew?) Highly recommend. The chicken suit provides moments of levity but this is definitely a drama. The score was beautiful too and really fit the film.
½ June 9, 2015
Ihan katsottava draama rankasta aiheestaan huolimatta...
June 1, 2015
Un melodrama un tanto barato con claros tintes de telefilme pero que al menos intenta hacer un estudio instropectivo de los sentimientos de los personajes y la superación de sus problemas.

Curiosamente Kutcher no da una interpretación interesante. No buena, pero si al menos una en la que se ve la intención de crear un personaje complejo y real...aunque se note que lo intenta demasiado.

La Pfeifer...bueno, está ahí y dice diálogos y los dice bien.
January 16, 2015
on a cheap dvd compilation I got at Sears
May 23, 2014
I'll watch anything with Michelle Pfeiffer in it.
½ January 11, 2014
Pretty depressing movie starring Michelle Pfiefer and Ashton Kucshter whose characters both suffer the loss of loved ones by murder and how they connect through each other's loss
September 29, 2013
Bad, syrupy, slow.A total waste of my time and the time and cuteness of Ashton and Michelle in this bummer...
½ September 1, 2013
Compelling drama with riveting performances, especially by Kutcher.
August 31, 2013
Ashton Kutcher gives a riveting performance (who knew?) in this intense drama.
July 24, 2013
Good movie, a little slow but ending was a bit sad.
February 26, 2013
This is one film I saw and reviewed (previously on Flixster....all those words gone now)....it was a decent film, perhaps one of the few of Kutcher's that I've seen and liked at least a bit but mostly I saw this because of Michelle, who is one of my favorite actresses.

Personal Effects stars Michelle Pfeiffer, Ashton Kutcher and Kathy Bates as a widow who has a deaf son, a wrestler and his mom who grieve the violent rape and death of their sister/daughter who has a young child. The young mom was found dead and nude and the accused killer is an unlikely sort. Pfeiffer and Kutcher meet at court and in grief counselling group and end up drawn together through their grief. The wrestler takes the widow's son on as a protege after helping him with bullies and convincing the bullied kid to give up a gun he pulled on one bully.

Tragedy occurs when the murder trial of the accused killer ends with an acquital and the young boy witnesses a failed assassination of the accused by the wrestler and later goes to
shoot the accused but the wrestler gets hit trying to save the man he now has learned is apparently innocent. The boy ends up in prison, the wrestler apparently recovers. 10/10
January 14, 2013
Ashton Kutcher and Michelle Pfeiffer do not belong in the same movie unless it's a comedy. That was my original thought and, even after viewing, it still is. Kutcher is not a good actor. Why people keep giving him dramatic acting roles is just baffling to me. The guy simply does not have the acting chops to participate in a role where he spends a lot of time trying to convey silent, seething anger, pain, torment, and shed frequent tears. The role would've served better under someone like Shia LeBeouf. That aside, the movie itself is mostly depressing and bleak. The colors are sort of like hues of gray and blue which add to the sad vibes that extend throughout this film. Watch it if you're in the mood for something that isn't cheerful at all.
December 28, 2012
Depressing and sad. Great cast but not great acting. A weird story about people in a small town effected by loss and grief.
½ August 21, 2012
it's a drama and how people find themselves in common loss
i liked the acting and kutcher was a surprise, this not being he's usual type of movies
½ August 21, 2012
I can't say whether or not I liked this movie, but it was interesting. I still think Kutcher is a terrible actor, but he wasn't as annoying as usual.
July 25, 2012
This movie had a rather different plot to it! However, I would say that the ending was the best part in the movie! It made you want to keep watching it and had you guessing all the way to the end! When they found the guy not guilty it's like "okay, now what's going to happen"? Very interesting storyline!
July 1, 2012
História interessante onde se destacam Pfeiffer e Bates :)
June 29, 2012
The sombre subject matter of dealing with grief keeps assorted characters at bay, despite fine performances from Michelle Pfeiffer, Kathy Bates, and (almost always) Ashton Kutcher, but there's enough care here from writer/director David Hollander to allow his audience enough access into this particular story that you can't helped be moved by the unfolding events.
May 13, 2012
This is a good story with good acting but slow moving.