Anna Karenina Reviews

• Jan 26, 2019

The best romance movie ever made!

The best romance movie ever made!

• Jul 18, 2018

Anna Karenina is an amazing film. It is about married Anna Karenina who falls in love with Count Vronsky despite her husband's refusal to grant a divorce. Greta Garbo and Fredric March give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Clarence Brown did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and romance. Anna Karenina is a must see.

• May 13, 2016

martin.hillstad@gmail.com

martin.hillstad@gmail.com

• Apr 25, 2014

First of i don't get what the big deal is with greta garbo. This movie has one of the old movie pet peeves, a character who falls in love at first sight inexplicably and its the strongest love ever known to history like they are a couple of teenagers. And as soon as they are in love they fall out of it. I gotta say i agree with the De facto villain, Anna's husband, on almost all of his points. Hes right about everything and expresses it so bluntly, what a bad ass. There is just nothing interesting about this movie, no great lines or great scenes. Derivative and forgetful.

• Feb 15, 2014

It is quite dull, but Greta Garbo saves it from being forgotten. It is visually big and brimming with the typical MGM's class and greatness. But sometimes, I want to jump off to a train the same as Garbo did.

• Nov 24, 2013

It has a couple of flaws - the ending could have been a bit more tense, the pacing sometimes feels rushed and the story needed some sort of expansion (the inclusion of Kitty and Levin would have been nice), but this Anna Karenina adaptation greatly benefits from strong acting, beautiful artistry and cinematography and moving added scene in the end all leading to a definitive film version of the story yet.

• Sep 22, 2013

Clarence Brown's "Anna Karenina" in the year 1935 is a film adaptation that is an insult to Leo Tolstoy's novel of the same. The main reason I decided to watch it was because to finally see Greta Garbo in a movie. Garbo is the only person in the movie who at least shows some resemblance to Anna Arkayadevna's character in the novel. All the other characters are incredibly compromised and did not interest me at all. Garbo doesn't have much to work with, I am hopeful I'll get to see her in better films whenever I get a chance to see more of her; in this film she was strictly acceptable. Levin, who could be argued as the greatest character in the Tolstoy novel is almost non-existent in the movie. Wasted!

• Jul 10, 2013

Remake of her 1927 version of Tolstoy's "LOVE"

Remake of her 1927 version of Tolstoy's "LOVE"

• Feb 13, 2013

i felt something missing in the story line, but i dont know which

i felt something missing in the story line, but i dont know which

• Jan 14, 2013

I haven't read the Tolstoy novel but since there isn't much plot to speak of in this cinematic version, I'd imagine a fair bit has been excised. In Moscow and St. Petersburg, Garbo is gay and merry, falling for Count Vronsky (Frederic March) even though she has a husband (Basil Rathbone) and child (insufferable Freddie Bartholomew). Garbo swoons (and there is clearly a filter on the camera when she is in close-up). But as a result, she and Vronsky are cast out of society and she is forbidden to see her son. As Vronsky's passion becomes muted, Garbo broods and is gloomy -- these are the moods for which she became famous. Things do not end well. This is a expensively-staged MGM production but I found the direction rather bland, even though the sets and acting were something to look at.