An American Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

An American Affair Reviews

December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
July 23, 2013
I don't know about you guys but I thought this movie was good. It brought This scenario every young kid fantasies at one point in their live!
June 22, 2013
best movie I have ever watched in my entire life
September 25, 2012
In this film set in the 1963, when John F. Kennedy was president a young 13 year old boy, Adam (Cameron Bright) falls for his older neighbor, Catherine (Gretchen Moi), who is having romantic relations with the president of the United States.

This film started out strong, detailing what struggles adolescence holds, but halfway through it fail flat & the ending wasn't impressive. This is one of those movies that you only watch once.
½ December 17, 2011
LOVED THIS MOVIE!! What's the matter with you people...could have happened...very realistic...definitely kept ones interest...touching...great acting...and more
December 17, 2011
Based on a true story? The woman was very loosely based on Mary Pinchot Meyer, but aside from that the movie is fiction. Treat it that way, and it's a very good movie.
½ November 12, 2011
Why the hell do both Facebook and rotten tomatoes know what I'm watching at 4 in the morning? Doesn't big brother have someone better to keep tabs on? Movie review? Synopsis: JFK conspiracy theory/catholic school boy coming of age who gives a fuckfest that tries hard to keep a straight face while it spoon feeds you bullshit. Pros: Gretchen mol being fine, dookie from the wire getting slapped in the mouth, music playing over the credits. Cons: everything that wasn't a pro. Conclusion: don't watch it, save two hours of your life, jerk off and take a nap instead. Kinda wish I had.
September 23, 2011
Friday, August 26, 2011

(2009) An American Affair
DRAMA/ INTRIGUE

Cameron Bright stars as a precocious 13 year old boy who often witnesses the doings of his floozy/scandolous female neighbor played by Gretchen Mol as Catherine and her role during the assassination of JFK etc...

This is nothing more than a pure 'what if' film coming from the point-of-view of a 13 year old which the film indicates that their might've been more than what people know about the assassination of JFK- which is pure horse crap. And some of the movie was just an excuse to have Mol naked!

2 out of 4
July 2, 2011
An average movie with an average plot.
½ April 13, 2011
it was a one of a kind movie
April 12, 2011
This movie is such bullshit. That's about it.
½ January 18, 2011
Watching this movie I saw visions of another Oliver Stone! It really got me asking questions, those uncomfortable questions about what has past that there are still no answers for. The material is sufficiently stirring that you forget it is first and foremost a movie. The acting and the script really draw you in. I for one spent some amount of time after watching this, reading follow-up accounts and stories about this period and the real person this movie was based on, Mary Pinchot Meyer.

How do you separate fact from fiction when you are talking about one of the great tragedies of the 20th century? Maybe you don't have to, lest we forget those murdered while trying to make a better world for us. Rest in peace John F. Kennedy. Rest in peace Mary Pinchot Meyer. Rest in peace Patrice Lumumba.
December 12, 2010
½ September 6, 2010
Not a bad movie, I like how they ran the main story against the events surrounding the assassination of President Kennedy.
Could have been better but not too shabby for a movie to watch whilst nuffin much else on. Worth a peek...
½ August 19, 2010
Grethen Mol is really good but the rest...meh, and the plot bits involving the kid and the Director of the CIA are more than a bit contrived. Also, kid, learn some boundaries! Future creep...
August 12, 2010
Cameron Bright is not a good actor. He didn't do very well in Thank You for Smoking and he did even worse in this film. The story is odd, the main character is very unlikeable and downright creepy, and this whole movie is boring, too drawn out, and downright bad. The camera shots and sound quality are even crappy. I couldn't find one thing I like about this movie besides the very attractive Gretchen Mol.
½ August 1, 2010
If you're looking for an exciting and fascinating film.......I'm sure Amazon have a great selection of them. If you'd sooner watch something else, this'll be right up your street!
½ July 20, 2010
We've seen it before, heard it before too but this one gives it a little twist. Sweet ending.
July 9, 2010
I thought this was quite interesting the way the facts and fictions were intertwined. The kids acting was a little weak but overall a good movie.
June 20, 2010
'An American Affair' is a film about two things. Growing up and finding sexuality, and secret goverment dealings. Unfortunately the film only works as the first one.

The film tells the story of Adam, a bit of a trouble maker who goes to a catholic school in the city of Washington D.C.
Adam is a teenager who is just about to find out that maybe girls aren't that icky after all. In fact Adam makes closer contact with a girl in his school but gets rejected for being too urgent, if you know what I mean. In the wake of his blossoming sexuality Adam starts working for his neighbour, the beautiful Catherine Caswell, who seems to have some big secrets of her own that involve the president John F. Kennedy. Of course Adam falls in love with her and the best parts of the film are about just that.

However for some strange reason the filmmakers decided to include the plot about Kennedy, and that does not work. At all. It is true that JFK had a lot of mistresses but some how I find it hard to believe that he just slept with anyone anywhere. The biggest problem about the JFK plotline is its utter unbelievability. The woman gets harassed by goverment agents and everything seems to lead straight in to the assassination of JFK. The plot is just so hard to follow and to comprehend that it shatters what would have been a very good film. So as you can see, the film is half good and half bad. Very sad that it has to be that way.

Okay but now a bit about the good aspects of the film! As I mentioned the coming of age story of Adam is a good one. It seems to handle the troubled and sometimes uncomfortable sexual issues of a teenager quite well and it is very well acted. Cameron Bright is good as Adam and Gretchen Mol is very sexy and seductive as the presidents lover Catherine. It also deals with important issues and has some very important themes in it, mainly about the relationship between a teenager and his parents and sexuality as a whole.

The film has some beautiful camera work in it which shows that the director William Olsson is a very talented filmmaker who was plagued in this project by the terrible screenplay. It's like there's two movies in here, one of them is good and the other one sucks ass... It's truly a shame. What also made an impact on me was the musical score wich was captivating to say the least.

Overall, 'An American Affair' is a double edged sword. The more human issues attract the viewer when on the other hand the highly political mumbo-jumbo turns the viewer off. They should have just flatout left the whole JFK thing out and go with a more traditional story. There is nothing wrong with that.