The Red Baron (Der rote Baron) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Red Baron (Der rote Baron) Reviews

May 17, 2016
Considering the miniscule selection of WWI aviation movies The Red Baron is a welcomed addition. The movie has excellent flight & aerial combat scenes (but not enough), an authentic period look & even managed a 'feel' for the flamboyant German ace attitudes & precariousness. The movie often drags a little & the heavy focus on the relationship impeded the story's fluidity. Some historical inaccuracies & liberties but over all... Worth watching if you want something better than Flyboys or newer than The Blue Max. Many mixed & wide ranging reviews so even if you don't care for the movie there's a good chance that you'll enjoy some of it
½ May 3, 2016
2 1/2 ud af 5 jernkors. Flot og stemningsfuld, men (emnet taget i betragtning) lidt for skønmalet krigsfilm om den røde baron. Lena Headey ser betydelig bedre ud end den grimme sygeplejerske, hun portrætterer, og sådan er det også med resten af filmen: Glansbilledskildringer af noget, der i virkeligheden var dybt ækelt.
½ March 15, 2015
Baron Manfred von Richthofen (Tomá Koutník) is the most feared and celebrated pilot of the German air force in World War I - a legend in his own time, a hero at home and a man both feared and respected by the enemy. The provocative red paint job of his Fokker aircraft earns him the nickname 'The Red Baron'. Unwittingly, he allows the German high command to manipulate his chivalrous code of honor and misuse him for propaganda purposes until a beautiful and resolute nurse, Käte Otersdorf (Lena Headey), opens his eyes to the tragic fact that there is more to war than dogfights won and adversaries downed. Baron von Richthofen finally becomes aware of his role in the propaganda machine of a senseless and barbarous war...

To improve "The Red Baron" chances on the international market, it was filmed in english, although it is a German production depicting Germans. With an estimated budget of 18 million euros, it is one of the most expensive and at the same time lowest-grossing films in German history. It premiered on 31 March 2008 in Berlin and was released a week later in the German cinemas. Fewer than 100,000 movie-goers saw the film in the first week, causing the film to miss the Top 3. In the second week it dropped to No. 10. In the third week the film was gone from the top ten. The film was quite controversial in Germany, where glorification of war heroes is nowadays a taboo.[4] The reviews after the first public performances of the film were mainly negative, criticizing in particular the high level of historical inaccuracy. The fictitious love story between Richthofen and Käte Otersdorf was described as having little factual basis. The film received a cool reception at the Berlin premiere and one member of the audience stated that Richthofen's disillusion with the war was not believable. Baron Manfred von Richthofen or The Red Baron is of course an intriguing character of World War I. However, I have not red in depth material about him and his life, but the claims from all directions that the movie is inaccurate in many ways shows the classic storytelling liberty filmmakers take to spice up or adjust a real life event or person to be more screenable so to say. I reckon the movie is great in terms of environments, clothes, scenery, battle sequences (I think the aerial battles are intense and well made) and the cinematography. But, the filmmakers has taken the wrong path of making it in english and therefore "killed" the movie as it simply doesn´t work at all in english. The acting is suffering major blows from that as well and you can see that the actors are not comfortable with it and their performances are not very good either. The acting feels forced and and the script is disjointed. This could´ve been quite good, but it´s not I´m afraid to say.
January 30, 2015
Better than flyboys but not particularly good either. Watch and enjoy it for the fly and combat scenes
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
This is the story about a young man in WW1 knowed as (Red Baron) one of the best german pilots. I like this genre alot and the last time i saw a similar movie must have been Fly Boys which i liked much. This movie tho have more drama than battle scenes in the air and those are way to short aswell. The movie are rather slow and doesn't quite capture a good WW feeling either. I didn't felt that the actor for Red Baron was the right thing aswell. The ending was disappointment also. Okey a few negative things about this flick but its "watchable" and deserves a strong 2 in rate but not more..
December 13, 2014
There isn't a way to portray WW1 in a politically correct or redeeming way, especially for German cinema. The film tries anyway.
½ November 20, 2014
Inspired by a true story, the World War I thriller The Red Baron looks at the duality of honorable warfare. The story follows Baron Manfred von Richthofen, nicknamed "The Red Baron," as he attempts to fight a civil aerial war against the Allies, but after being wounded he's placed under the care of a nurse who opens his eyes to the untold casualties that he and the war are causing. The special effects are especially good and create some remarkable battle sequences. And, the costumes and sets create an authentic look that feels of the period. However, the characters are very thinly drawn and poorly developed. Still, several of the cast members (Lena Headey and Joseph Fiennes in particular) are able to bring some personality and depth to their roles. While it has weaknesses, The Red Baron offers an interesting perspective on aerial warfare.
August 20, 2014
es ist ein interessanter film !!!!!!!!!!
July 24, 2014
It is not a perfect movie, but watchable. I liked it because before watching it I hadn't even heard about this pilot.
July 22, 2014
Not a badly made movie, but it does suffer from some painfully distracting historical inaccuracies that ruin the experience.
April 28, 2014
I loved this movie. A little more dramatic than a lot of war movies but it was pretty cool. Better aerial combat scenes than Flyboys
April 27, 2014
Almost makes me want to fly an airplane.... almost.
February 2, 2014
Great German movie about their war hero. They got most of it right in this one, apart from the obvious, they all speak English. The first half hour is not how it sould have happended, mostly because they got the events about Major Hawker wrong. But on the up side they all fly the right airplanes where in Flyboys the certainly don't. The action scenes are also better than Flyboys and you actully get attached to the pilots, something Flyboys also dosent have. Good movie (I compare it to Flyboys because it is also a WWI flying movie)
January 3, 2014
Turn it off and watch the Blue Max with George Peppard and Ursala Address.
September 25, 2013
A film with superb photography, well written and acted makes this a must see. The attention to detail shows the hard work of the director and team. The score deserves special mention as it does not overwhelm any scene, merely adds to the layers of depth. Well done. Nibbles: Baked Ziti with Four Cheeses.
September 14, 2013
Matthias Schweighöfer is still good, only war genre has never been my thing.
July 27, 2013
great. like das boot
½ June 26, 2013
Fede flyvescener, hvilket stort set også er det eneste interessante ved denne film.
½ June 9, 2013
nättejä koneita...melkein jätin kesken :)
June 6, 2013
I just think that critics are being more sentimental in judging this wonderful movies form with an eye of historic grudge than how the movie is made. this movie has the power to attract your heart to a real historic hero and the sound track is one of the best!