The Missing Person - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Missing Person Reviews

March 4, 2016
Incepe bine, se pierde pe la jumate
August 9, 2015
The moments that do undeniably work are overshadowed by a general feeling that the film just isn't quite clicking the way it could or should have, amplified by a final act that simply gets away from everyone involved.
July 20, 2014
86%
Aesthetic, easeful, yet brutally honest and typically abrasive film noir.
June 21, 2014
This movie sets the noir atmosphere perfectly, complete with voice-over, faded color palette and wise-cracking dialogue. Unfortunately not everything works here - the aforementioned dialogue feels like it was lifted from a 40's detective novel, and supporting cast is rather weak. What does it in though, is a lackluster plot, which is promising at first, but stats dissolving gradually and more or less falls apart in the third act.
½ May 21, 2014
Micheal Shannon holds the film together with a compelling film noir performance.
½ February 8, 2014
Liked the ending, but little else about this flick. The rest was just boring. The difference between the audience percentage and the critics tells you who to listen to about this film. And did anybody else notice the gas station scene where the guy the detective is talking to while the man fills up a car is smoking? I kept thinking that if this was real life, any moment there would be a huge explosion.
July 26, 2013
If you enjoy watching the lead actor mumble his way through every single line of this movie, acting like an autistic drunk with a perpetual hangover, then this is the flick for you! An absolutely miserable movie to have to sit through, I must have been in a severe masochistic mood to endure this formulaic tripe. The script is awful, sometimes you have to wonder if the director/writer was half asleep or hungover himself when he threw the words down on his monitor. NOTE: you will be annoyed and dissappointed in yourself if you waste nearly 2 hours of your life to verify what I am saying. You've been warned!
½ May 6, 2013
the cast is fine and there are definitely some noteworthy moments here. however i was expecting a bit more...."something missing?" but this still rates as a better than average gumshoe tale.....
February 1, 2013
Good movie. Good character arch. I had issues with the cinematography.
January 3, 2013
I guess. Can't say it was BAD but the storyline was a little too small for the main character they created to exist in it.
½ December 8, 2012
I'm becoming a fan if Michael Shannon as a leading man. The "Boozy Gumshoe" is a bit clichéd, but its a decent attempt at contemporary noir. Realistic to a fault.
½ June 7, 2012
Shannon is perfect for noir. Truly classic; alcoholism, PI, woman troubles and voiceovers! Well done, but slow, boring and too sentimental.
May 23, 2012
Like watching a migraine. I don't know what annoyed me more, the awfully mismatched soundtrack, that spilled over into completely separate scenes, or the long lingering shots of absolutely nothing, while the lighting boys played around with their filters. A-v-o-i-d.
½ May 9, 2012
michael shannon is such a terrific actor, that i wanted to give "the missing person" a higher rating. but no matter how good his performance was, it still doesn't help the film's story, or lack there of. the pacing is often slow to an annoying extent. sometimes it worked, but the majority of the times, it only made me continue to lose interest.
April 28, 2012
A weird, slowly paced, but yet effectively atmospheric and existential neo noir film. The acting of all involved is strong, with the grainy film and directorial style giving the film a very realistic feel. The result is a rather engrossing experience, even with the sluggish pace. There's a lot here that works, but unfortunately it never really adds up to much in a muddled third act, with a very un-fulfilling and sloppy resolution. Still, there's enough to like to make it an interesting watch for noir fans.

3/5 Stars
paul o.
March 4, 2012
Had the perfect elements of a noir classic until the end...which sucked so badly and made me feel so disappointed in giving this movie almost 2 hours of my life. Note to director: Never make bad ending to noir film...NEVER
December 27, 2011
Booooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnggggg!
October 16, 2011
Fairly dry attempt at neo-noir with some good acting but a weak story that moves a little too slow and doesn't have the meat on its bones to really keep the viewer interested enough.
One feels if this were handled a little differently by someone with more skill for the genre, say a Coen brother or two, then this could've been something special.
October 12, 2011
not interested at all ....
LWOODS04
July 12, 2011
Cast: Michael Shannon, Amy Ryan, Frank Wood, Linda Emond, Margaret Colin, John Ventimiglia, Yul Vazquez, Merritt Wever, Daniel Franzese, Liza Weil

Director: Noah Buschel

Summary: Hired to shadow a mysterious man leaving on a train from Chicago going to Los Angeles, heavy drinking private investigator John Rosow (Michael Shannon) discovers that the stranger is most definitely not who everyone thinks he is. With a large cash reward offered by the man's wife dangling before his eyes, Rosow tangles with his own demons as he decides whether to turn the guy in for the money.

My Thoughts: "The film is one bizarre scene after another. If the film wasn't so slow and had more of an interesting story, I believe I would have liked it. But it was quite the sleeper for me and I lost interest pretty quick. But of course me being me, I finished the movie. The acting was great, it was just the story and the feel of the film. Guess it just wasn't my type of flick. I love Michael Shannon though. He does great with these odd characters."