April Showers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

April Showers Reviews

November 1, 2016
A very interesting, personal look into a confined tragedy. With little screen time of the actual shooting, this focuses on the after math and psychological damage of the survivors. Personally, the acting in April Showers is far superior to Elephant, which feels raw and dark. It is an underground, low budget movie, but a good watch.
November 21, 2013
I'm not sure how 'true' this is, and the whole bible bashing part was a bit much - I mean saying that if young people grew up believing in a God/Religion they wouldn't have done what they did, are you serious? Religion is the cause of wars and deaths for centuries. and still is. There wasn't much to do with the killers (well nothing about them at all). This movie was your lunch time movie you would watch on your days off work or if you are sick in bed. Not sure how true this story is, or how true these characters are. Like many other true stories, things are left out, things are added in and dramatised and romanticised. So the true story, turns into a small percentage of the truth. I thought the film ELEPHANT was the best film made about the Columbine High School massacre.
½ August 29, 2013
While It Has It Obvious Flaws And Somewhat Mediocre Acting For What It Was It Was A Good Film From Someone Who Survived That Horror In Columbine This Wouldn't Of Been An Easy Film To Make But Andrew Robinson Did A Good Job And Is Well Worth The Watch
July 9, 2013
"April Showers" is a chilling recreation of the Columbine High School shooting. Andrew Robinson, a senior at Columbine during the shootings, writes and directs this film to create a once-in-a-lifetime perspective of these events from the inside. I appreciate that the names and some of the details were changed out of respect for those who were killed during this tragedy. DISCLAIMER: This film is really difficult to watch, particularly if you are a teacher, student, or parent with a child in school (so basically everybody). They are tasteful in not directly showing people being killed, but the panic is enough to send chills down your spine. The film reenacts the shooting several times from the perspectives of students in different areas of the school. Following the tragedy, each student copes with their experience in a different way. The main emotion the the students struggle with is guilt, questioning why their life was spared, feeling responsible for the death of another, or never telling someone that they loved them. Every scene is important, from the shootings to the tearful funeral. The most chilling part of the film occurs at the very end as the names of every innocent person killed in a school shooting scrolls by on the screen, from the University of Texas in 1966 to Dillard High School in 2008. This film is dedicated in loving memory to all of those who we lost, and to those who survived. I think that tears are inevitable at the end of "April Showers. This film isn't designed for entertainment; it is a tribute to those who lost their lives and a necessary empathetic device to help us avoid another tragedy like this happening again.
June 1, 2013
A very underrated film
May 27, 2013
Best movie I have seen in years! I cried the whole way threw. Very realistic. Very moving.
½ January 22, 2013
Disgusting, disturbing film. Whoever thought a Columbine survivor should make a movie about a school shooting seriously didn't think it through too well. Never mind the actual school shooting, the aftermath is perhaps the most warped part. Produced by Pure Motive and EMO Films, they are up front and center about the film from their names alone. Overly long, it is 104 minutes, not 94 unlike what Flixster says. I'll even overlook the confusing casting of Tom Arnold (who I'm sure is proud of his role, it is among his best work - but no one can separate him from him which sullies his performance), but I cannot forgive the three parallel stories of three men. The main character is a total nutjob, the false hero is waaaaaaay too overdone, and the scapegoat is worse than both of them. Notice how the police and media are depicted as overly aggressive, scheming, evil, etc. Don't let Robinson make a movie like this. Let him make a different movie - that's fine. But too much doesn't ring true in this film. It just feels like a diary entry - which coincidentally is how the movie ends. Horrifically in poor taste from start to finish. It's not gross, it's not overly exploitive, it's just wrong.
September 12, 2012
this is a very sad movie
½ July 28, 2012
Brilliant. Simply Brilliant. The acting was great and the plot line was captivating (as it was written by a Columbine survivor.) This is a must-see
½ February 5, 2012
This movie will have an effect on anyone that watches it, but especially on those that were in high school during some of these more prominent school shootings. This had to have been a difficult movie to make. Overall this is a great story, but there are times when things are hard to follow through one boy's flashbacks and another boy's mental breakdown.
January 11, 2012
In essence, this film was a good idea. I understand the perspective of the survivor and I even understand the flashbacks. The over-stylized effects, camera angels, etc., however, detracted from the message of the film in my opinion and led to overall confusion.
July 27, 2011
my obsession with Columbine made me watch this... a film based on the tragedy by one of the survivors.
July 20, 2011
Really good movie. It made me cry :|
July 18, 2011
Great movie. The kid from spy kids was amazing.
½ June 16, 2011
worst piece of crap i have ecer seen
April 11, 2011
If somebody knows what happened between these two, please tell me cause I did not understand.
February 6, 2011
To be honest I just skipped through to the best scenes and didn't watch it through properly. I liked some of it including Tom Arnold's performance. But I just couldn't sit through the whole boring and slow film.
½ December 20, 2010
This movie had some good moments, but it was very sporadic in its attempt to mesh. Plus, there were a few scenes where I just could not make out what they were saying due to poor sound quality. ELEPHANT, tho a lower budget movie, was much better. I do respect the main characters true life struggle in dealing with the Columbine tragedy, however. I only wish they would have found a better way to portray it.
½ November 25, 2010
A must-see for the Americans' right to bear arms most devoted advocates. These things happen for real and they happen about a million times more often in the US for an obvious reason. As for the film, it's rather lousy, but it gives food for thought.