Lake Mungo Reviews

• 11h ago

Endlessly rich, beautifully executed. Somehow this film is tender, compassionate, devastating, and absolutely chilling all at once. Joel Anderson marries terror and tragedy, and if that doesn't sound appealing, think about it: horror is a genre that deals regularly with haunting and grief, but that so rarely allows us to feel sad. Anderson gives viewers the time to feel empathy for all of his characters - a lonely teenage girl and the family who mourns her when she drowns. On top of that, it's just a deeply, deeply unsettling story, expertly told.

• Dec 30, 2018

This movie / documentary made me sleep with the TV turned on. That says a lot. SPOILER    The scene when they were looking at Alice's phone was among the most scary scenes I saw. When they started to approach that figure, I knew something was going to happen ... but I did not think that would be such a big impact. That jumpscare was really good. A thrill passed through my whole body. It was too disturbing.

• Nov 30, 2018

Mockumentary style horror film relying on faked photos and video for scares. Well executed as a documentary.

• Oct 31, 2018

I was excited for this movie when it was first available to stream, and I still return to it as one of my favorites. It's a slow burn and it's not first or garish or in-your-face terrifying, but it's unsettling and it lingers. This is a movie I think of often, and that makes me uneasy every time I do. It's beautifully done, and each little turn is unexpected. Worth every single rewatch.

• Oct 31, 2018

A strong mockumentary that is, unfortunately, less scary and more eerie with no real kind of resolution or pay-off.

• Oct 27, 2018

this scared the shit out of me

this scared the shit out of me

• Sep 24, 2018

The best most unsettling disturbing trerifying movie i have ever seen in my life till now.I dont know why movies such this are not encouraged ....big horror movie directors should come up with such creativity unless making same old bullshit jumpscare movies.jumpscare movies scares us once only but movies such as this scares us for long time.this movie and the autopsy of jane doe gave me many sleepless nights.these 2 movies are the best disturbing movies ever

• May 20, 2018

Intriguing at times but fizzles what potential it had with a very uneventful payoff after a brooding slow pace. Not a horror film but a mystery drama.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    May 09, 2018

As far as horror mockumentaries go, this is a bleak and very well-made study of loss and grief that may not be as scary as it is spooky but builds a compelling mystery as family secrets are exposed and we begin to realize that things are not exactly what they seem to be.

• Apr 29, 2018

High-key feel like I need therapy after this one. One of the most unsettling films I've seen in a while.