Beautiful - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Beautiful Reviews

July 27, 2014
Quite an interesting, small Australian thriller. I remember seeing the poster in film-ink, and then never heard a thing about it again until it showed up on free to air TV recently.
Good cast and interesting premise. Asher Keddie is particularly effective in her small role.
A lot remains unanswered and the ending is odd, but interesting movie. Glad I finally had a chance to see it.
March 16, 2011
This one suprised me. A young beautiful girl gets an even younger boy to do her bidding, which has malice. She does this just for her own entertainment, and just because she can. The boy and the girl are both unknown actors whom do a good job facilitating the story. Some of the other actors are not as compelling, but all in all its worth a watch. While the story has been told before, it does manage to pull off an ending that you dont entirely see coming....even though a little confusing.
½ July 11, 2010
An intriguing, if somewhat incomplete, story of a shy young man who is manipulated by his attractive older neighbor into spying on the mysterious woman at #46. Their overactive imaginations are inflamed by the mysterious disappearance of three teenage girls from the neighborhood and the strange behavior of the reclusive woman in the house at the end of the street. Danny (Sebastian Gregory) has a crush on Suzy (Tahnya Tozzi) and is easily persuaded to do her dirty work. The fact that his mother is no longer in the picture has a bearing on the story, and Peta Wilson is marvelous as his stepmother. Her character exhibited just the right mix of tender and tough. The plot has some holes and stretches credibility, especially with an ending designed more to shock than to solve the mystery. It is entertaining, just don't ask too much from it.
DrStrangeblog
½ September 6, 2011
I should have listened to the underwhelming response here, but the intriguing trailer on Encore gave me hope that even if it wasn't any good, it'd be interesting to watch. And it is, for awhile, until the glacial pace drags you down with it.

This is essentially Australian Beauty with the voyeuristic photographer kid and his attractive neighbor parts thrust into the ugly-beneath-the-polished-facade world of Blue Velvet as they probe the mysteries behind the doors of the house at #46. The introverted photographer kid looks like Elijah Wood at his most bewildered and is very one-note, which grows frustrating as he is supposed to carry the movie. The pacing of many scenes is awful and drag on for no reason so I grew tired of this potentially interesting mystery, and then got completely shortchanged with a pathetic ending that is as hard to swallow as it is underwritten. Save your time and don't bother.
½ September 12, 2011
A very dark psychological drama more than it is a mystery -- although it is that too -- is a little known gem. The film is effectively written and directed. The acting is top notch. And it looks very good, with excellent cinematography. The musical score is unobtrusive (until the final credits roll) but furthers the dark mood of the film. While it plays with familiar tropes (like lonely teens, dysfunctional families, rumors, serial killers, neighborhood legends, etc.) the story is basically an original treatment of its subject matter. It tells enough for the intelligent viewer to understand but practices enough ellipsis to demand that you must think in order to follow what happens and why. The story's commentaries on small communities, conformity, and lack of communication are very effectively conveyed -- a bit of heavy handedness in this regard is offset with a delicious slyness of delivery. An excellent psychological thriller.
March 24, 2014
a lot of talented people work on movies that aren't that great. The 'making of' was better than the actual - sorry :-(
July 1, 2012
Dean O'Flaherty's deliciously photographed and fascinating film about manipulation and paranoia, primarily seen through the eyes of an alienated youth, has a lot of layers to it, never allowing its audience to divert their attention from where it should be, with strong performances from Sebastian Gregory, Tahyna Tozzi, Aaron Jeffery and Socratis Otto pushing things forward. Not since 'Lantana' (2001) has an Australian suburban drama delivered such a magnificent punch!
½ June 29, 2011
Beautiful é um filme muito diferente de tudo o que já vi até agora, dando continuidade a duas histórias diferentes que deveriam estar de alguma maneira interligadas mas acabam por nunca se cruzar, dando a sensação de que ambas são inúteis. O filme nunca se decide se se quer ficar pelo drama emocional ou por um thriller lento mas produtivo, acabando por falhar nos dois parâmetros. Uma boa premissa que consegue ser razoável por breves instantes mas que rapidamente se torna num potencial totalmente desperdiçado e numa autêntica perda de tempo!
June 26, 2011
Very strange. But interesting enough.
½ April 1, 2011
interesting and different...definitely an art film.
October 18, 2010
This Australian thriller was intriguing enough that it kept me from going to bed even though I was tired and kept telling myself I was going to pause it and finish later. It also ends on a WTF note and I will be scouring the 'net trying to find out exactly what it all meant. In this case I can't decide if that's a sign of good writing or bad.
February 11, 2010
Visually arresting, wears it's influences on it's sleeve, but not much depth to this intriguing piece of Australian cinema. The director is one to watch!
January 28, 2010
Non-sense movie, not connected. Easy killing and annoying music. They try to catch your interest with a weird story but is a totally unsuccessful effort. After trying to figure out what is happening, you are just grateful for the fast ending.
½ October 26, 2009
An Australian "Blue Velvet", with an identity crisis. This movie doesn't know what it wants to be, although it is quite watchable.
August 10, 2009
Without a doubt one of the best movies I've seen in years. I really don't understand the criticisms of the reviewer on here giving the movie 60 percent. Though it is difficult to review this one without giving too much away, I'll try. First, not all is as it seems, with the possible exception of Danny. We have the benefit of seeing things almost exclusively through his eyes, and though he may not always be correct, he does have a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeves. Other than that, everything is fair game. Are there really missing girls? Or is it all urban legend? The movie doesn't reveal the answer until the very end. But what we learn at the end is crucial, and it is the thread that ties the whole movie together. This is a movie about perception versus reality and how difficult it is to tell the difference. It is also (though to a much lesser extent and I would argue this is the movie's biggest downfall) a movie about redemption. Can a leopard change its spots? More importantly, will anyone allow the leopard to change or will it be forever branded dangerous and therefore kept carefully guarded inside a cage? Can we really escape our pasts, or worse yet, our own minds? This is definitely a movie about fear and what it does to us. But unlike the other reviewer, I find the fact that we are not allowed to see the fear except for very brief glimpses here and there very telling. It is there, and the fear itself creates the danger in many ways. Without giving too much away, I will say that at the end there is a woman looking out over the street where she lives. She says she 'knows' things. She will have to take it upon herself to look out for the neighborhood and safeguard everyone. But what does she know? The movie suggests she doesn't know much. How can she protect anyone? The movie suggests she can't. No one can know what is in the mind of another human being. We can only trust, or distrust. This movie drives that sentiment home with a bang! Oh, and you'd best beware of bored teenagers. Beware.
August 5, 2009
A twisted film about an unnamed killer that somehow kept me interested the entire duration. I felt like I wanted to know more about the characters and I think if they would have spent more time on that, the film would be a bit more believable. The film ends with many loose ends and room for the mind to wonder.