The Watch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Watch Reviews

June 3, 2016
It's TV Movie as Hell, no two ways about it. But hidden amongst that are a couple of moments of pretty genuine creepiness, something that eludes the majority of horrors. It's wrapped up so neatly that it's almost to the point of being confronting, again, not a staple in the horror genre.

I just wish it had been a little more entertaining.
June 23, 2015
I enjoyed this - creepy and keeps you thinking!
June 2, 2012
Scary film drops the ball so spectacularly that it becomes pointless. None of the opportunities to keep thrills up are taken, so last 15 minutes flat, leaving you with shock and disapointment when credits roll.
½ August 28, 2011
Interesting horror film which isn't quite what it appears to be! I liked it. I am surprised by the negative comments it has had.
First of all, had better add that this is the Clea Duvall movie I am reviewing - I am not sure what is going on with the "cast" list and the 15 minute running time on the description, but judging by the other reviewers who seem to be reviewing the same movie I am, I would say it's one of the mixed up Flixster pages I see from time to time that somehow get meshed together with two different films.
I picked this one up for $2 as I like Clea Duvall... wasn't expecting a whole lot, but was pleasantly surprised with it. Not bad at all for a straight to DVD movie - had good suspense and was really quite creepy. Also, considering much of it is just Clea in a cabin, it runs pretty quickly. I guess maybe I would have preferred if it stuck to what it appears to be, but I've seen a lot of that, and this made a nice change. Something a bit different.
Definitely worth the hour and a half and the $2!
November 29, 2010
Nice horror/thriller to pass the time.
August 7, 2010
Of the twist endings that I theorized for this movie, two of them came true. Lots of scary sounds and such, but it felt too manipulative to be truly scary. The ending was far too obvious. All things considered, though, it was a pretty good movie.
January 4, 2010
I am a sucker for bad lifetime movies...this was no disappointment.
July 10, 2009
Originally, this seems likely to have been a TV movie - from the evidence of the fade-to-black every twenty minutes, and the opening credits (what is it about credit sequences that always gives away a film's budget?) - but it's not all bad.

Clea Duvall is always very watchable in these roles, and the story has some effectively spooky moments. Setting an ostensible ghost story in the woods is a novel idea, and the locale is milked for all its eeriness. It's a shame that the Scooby Doo ending explains everything away, and the scope for an actual ghostly comeuppance for the bad guys is an opportunity missed.
½ June 27, 2009
This film is a bit predictable, but I enjoyed it anyway...
½ May 11, 2009
Low budget but not all bad. It's scary at times and not all maped out for you. The childhood trauma was fuzzy though and the too-much-makeup-lady was just ridiculous.
May 3, 2009
A bit shit to be honest! lol Stupid story line.
April 16, 2009
It`s watchable but
the end really sucked lol
½ April 15, 2009
Genuinely creepy movie. Although the plot is a little shallow, it is adequate, and the film works well. Clea DuVall was excellent.
½ October 19, 2008
When trying to finish her uni wor, she decides to get a job as a fire watch out in the woods. Spooky things start happening. Then all is found out when he friend finds out all files have been stolen about her and makes a dash to find out whats going on.
½ September 30, 2008
Cassie (Clea DuVall) is struggling to finish her psychology thesis on post-traumatic stress disorder in children and is relieved when Professor Bateman (Matthew Kabwe) grants a one month extension to his students. Finding it hard to focus on the thesis, Cassie decides to accept a four week assignment as a "firewatch" officer - a person stationed in the woods who alerts the ranger if they see a fire. She reckons the secluded nature of the job (she will live alone in a log cabin for a month) will not only give her time to work on her thesis but also help her attempts to overcome her own inner demons - a deep-seated fear of the dark that dates back to her own abduction when she was seven.

She is greeted by the slightly-aloof ranger Rhett (James A Woods) who helps her settle in to her post. But before long strange goings-on haunt Cassie. She sees shadows outside her cabin, furniture is moved around when she's asleep and the only interaction she has are radio conversations with a fellow lookout called Polly. As the days pass, Cassie begins to have flashbacks. Could the creepy events be linked to her abduction nineteen years before?

For a low-budget TV movie "The Watch" does a lot of things right. The cinematography (by Manfred Guthe) is wonderful with a great use of autumnal colours and some beautiful pseudo-panoramic shots across the forest. Indeed, there is much to admire. The story is well-paced and doesn't always choose the obvious plot device, leaving you expecting a horror cliché several times during the movie only for nothing to happen. This is, oddly, quite satisfying.

Director Jim Donovan is 37 years of age and has been directing since the mid 90s. Although mainly involved in TV series, "The Watch" could be a breakthrough movie for him. He does well with the material and teases some genuine tension in key scenes. It's clear he enjoys working with James A Woods (they have previously worked together in "Naked Josh" and "Seriously Weird") and the character's ambiguity is played off well by both director and actor.

So, why the low mark? It was all going steamingly well ... until the last 15 minutes. Donovan is let down by writer Ben Ripley ("Species III", "Species 4: The Awakening") who totally drops the ball, letting the story fizzle out disappointingly. We got from creepy psychological thriller to Scooby Doo in the blink of an eye. You'll see a lot worse than this on TV but be prepared for the ending.