Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skin Reviews

½ September 22, 2012
Much better than expected. Alice Krige was incredible in this.
September 1, 2012
Beautiful true story!
½ July 27, 2012
Excellent "true story" movie.
July 24, 2012
A true story converted to film usually is bastardised in the process, and while that is true here the strength of the story itself, about how we encourage racial distinctions and the price of that decision, carries this film throughout with a sense of childhood betrayed that stays long after the credits roll. The execution is flawed but the punch loses no power.
June 29, 2012
It's amazing that a country lived in such collective mental illness for so long. A touching but sort of formulaic movie.
½ June 20, 2012
Really good movie.... It was crazy at first but very deep... How long can you hate a race! If it's your Childs choice
½ June 14, 2012
A great premise that totally fails to go anywhere, probably due to the rapid-fire cutting in the early scenes.
June 4, 2012
An excellent, moving, often shocking film. Okonedo is inspiring in the lead role.
½ April 28, 2012
A dark-skinned girl born to white South African parents attempts to explore her identity in a nation deeply divided by race.... Never give up!
April 27, 2012
Skin is the true story of Sandra Laing, a black girl born of two white parents in 1960's South Africa. It is a condition commonly referred to as a "throwback gene" where the blood line has mixed with another race in the past. It can be over a century ago. Anyway, this is Laing's life story and it has been adapted very faithfully as far as I can tell from reading. She actually consulted on the film. Its an incredible story and a tragic one... its incredibly moving and I hope a lot of people get to see it. Sam Neill takes on a gutsy role and is excellent and Sophie Okonedo is wonderful as Sandra. I love it when unique stories are told and this one is equally as important as it is extraordinary.

Side note: I was dumbfounded by the start of this film. A rather large text explaining Apartheid is presented. Do schools no longer teach this as part of history? I realise that time progresses but isn't part of learning history about understanding the wrongs as not to repeat them? A simple title card on the screen reading "South Africa 1960's" would have been sufficient. The film's demographic audience would all know what Apartheid was anyhow and those who don't could have joined the dots by watching the film.
April 24, 2012
Thought provoking and takes a new view and perspective on racism and it many different forms...a must see.
½ April 23, 2012
3.5/5 stars: Based on a true story, this film taught me a lot about segregation outside of the US. I can't imagine the predicament of this family and my heart broke for Sandra in dealing with a problem that was created simply by the color of her skin.
March 21, 2012
Sam Neil and Sophie Okonedo are marvelous in this movie about apartheid South Africa in 1955. The movie highlights the close mindidness of the government, and its citizens during this volatile time in history. The movie was beautifuly done, and really moving. You always think of how bad things were in America during this time with segregation. This was an eye opener to how bad things were in South Africa at the same time period.
Matt S.
March 11, 2012
Skin is an amazing, thought provoking, inspirational, eye opening tear jerker in the likes of The Help when it comes to it's subject matter but less known yet beats me why it never made it wide to theaters or gain any nominations, it's a great film that deserves attention. The story is so fascinating and touching that it's quite powerful that it's based on a true story and a punch in the stomach everytime you learn how much so people were prejudice and discriminatory and I will never get their irrational thinking back then, we've came a long way. The performances were great and to me oscar worthy but never gained any notice for some reason and Sophie Okonedo shines as Sandra Laing a black girl born to a white couple in Johannesburg, South Africa and her struggles through life as a confused child to a woman in search of herself. The supporting cast was also great most notably from Sam Neill in one of his best performance and Alice Krige which they both play her parents in a battle of rights and acceptance for their daughter yet are somewhat discrimitory themselves which was sad and frustrating to see as it tares their family apart. As the film came to an end it was bittersweet yet satisfying of a battle won and her rights accepted as freedom rings but the realization of what has come and go of her family is heartbreaking but her new path is now an open canvas of hope that she truly deserved right from the beginning. Overall it's a movie that will educate you and needs to be seen by everyone and it's just a beautiful film bottom line and I highly recommend it to everyone! 8.5 out of 10
March 7, 2012
Emotionally mesmerizing...Unmissable!!!
February 13, 2012
This Film really took hold of my heart.Poignant True Story about a Colored girl,Sandra(Sophie Okonedo) born to White Parents(Sam Neill & Alice Krige) in 1955 South Africa during Apartheid.They try to send her to a White, Privileged School & a Government ,Legal,& Moral fight begins about whether she is black or white & can be taken from her parents.The Media escalates the issue, & lifelong internal, & family torment becomes this girls life.She suffers ridicule & hate from both races, & an identity crisis that is still relevant today.Her Parents want her to be White, & force her to date White Suitors, to disasterous results, & it is illegal for her to date or marry Black.She falls in love with a Black Man, & is imprisoned for it, & disowned by her Father & kept by him from her Mother.She goes to live with him in poverty, even with his baby, she cannot Marry him, because her parents had her classified her as White,so she is living illegally.The Superstitious Baby Daddy of her two children,Petrus(Tony Kgoroge) blames Sandra for all his, & their Villages, problems because she is "Bad Luck" & he becomes alcoholic & Beats her, forcing her to go on the run, but her Mother cannot help.Her life is a Struggle because she is caught between two Skin Colors.This Beautiful True Story touched me to my Core, everyone should see this as Prejudice hasn't evolved much in all these years.
½ February 1, 2012
underrated...good performances particularly Okonedo and Sam Neill...good cinematography
January 17, 2012
this movie is deep!!!
December 10, 2011
Sophie Okonedo stars in a stylish drama based on a true story of a black girl who was born to two white parents. When the setting for this is South Africa during apartheid, the ingredients for drama are guaranteed. Anthony Fabian directs solidly if slightly safely, but the movie manages to be reach high levels both intellectual and emotional. Alice Krige and Sam Neill offer quality support to Okonedo, who carries the lead extremely well.
November 20, 2011
There were some boring parts and it was kind of depressing, but over all well acted and a touching story.