Tron Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tron Legacy Reviews

½ February 5, 2018
This is one of those movies you honestly just watch because of the visuals. The story is pretty average and the characters are average.The fight scenes are pretty awesome. My two biggest problems in this movie are the fact that Tron isn't even an important character in this movie even though his name is in the title, and Clue looks just terrible; if they would have just kept the mask on him the whole movie or had him age like Kevin that would have been much better. This is really a movie you put in just so your kids can shut up for two hours.
February 3, 2018
this is my fav movie of all time
January 26, 2018
A good, solid movie. Didn't expect a movie this good or something other than shallow entertainment from Disney, honestly. A really nice surprise.

This is one of my favorite films, aesthetically speaking. Everything looks absolutely incredible. And the Daft Punk soundtrack perfectly completes the futuristic feel of the film. The relationship between Sam and his father, the depiction of both Flynns, and the inevitable tension between them, provides solid human weight to the movie. Adding to that, the idea of the "villain" being a mirror version of the old "hero", a "perfect" version, who is merely following his programming, is great. To top it off, Olivia Wilde is mesmerizing as Quorra, who by her existence alone provides more emotional moments in bringing up questions about human nature, what it means to be a sentient being, and the relationships we can have with such beings.
January 25, 2018
74%
Tron Legacy isn't as bad as the critics say it is. There are really good visuals and CGI, but can visuals alone make a film, No. Tron legacy tries to be an epic by all means, but leaves a lot of voids. Watching Trom can sometimes be as boring as living in the world of Tron. This film is sometimes good, otherwise boring. Tron should have been given a G rating, not a PG rating because there is not even a kissing scene here! That's good.
½ January 20, 2018
While not quite as good as the first film with some unsettling computer-generated appearances from a young Jeff Bridges, Tron Legacy manages to be an entertaining sci-fi sequel in its own right. The visuals are beautiful with the change in aspect ratio helping my mind get blown by the awesome presentation. Just like Interstellar. The special effects are, naturally, an improvement from the first movie which had clearly old-school CGI yet was still somewhat entertaining to see and not simply for the sake of 21st century comparisons. While I already mentioned the spooky CG de-aged Jeff Bridges, that mostly doesn't apply to CLU. Mainly because the uncanny valley was invoked in his case. We're meant to feel uncomfortable. And then there's Daft Punk's incredible soundtrack. What, you didn't think I'd forget about that, did you? The one thing we have to acknowledge when mentioning Tron Legacy or else Disney fans will eat you alive. Not much in terms of characterization. Kevin Flynn's son is the protagonist who will develop from a jerk to a selfless hero, Kevin himself is the accomplice who, due to lack of 21st century knowledge from being trapped in the Grid, says outdated dialogue that's actually quite cringy even if its justified. Quorra is the female ally who'll be shipped with Sam by the end of the movie, Castor is the one-scene wonder and CLU's an evil asshole. That's all there is to it. Although, Michael Sheen's Bowie-esque performance is quite entertaining. The action sequences are awesome and it's easier to understand what's happening due to an improved colour scheme unlike the first film where nearly everyone is grey and the colour palette of the background is mostly black with some other colours occasionally thrown into the mix. Here, the crew ditches that making it easier to tell who's who thus allowing for an even more thrilling experience during the action sequences. Since I've run out of positive adjectives, let's just say that Tron Legacy doesn't reach the heights of its groundbreaking predecessor but for anyone looking for a 2-hour Daft Punk music video with Jeff Bridges, Garrett Hedlund and Olivia Wilde, look no further than Tron Legacy. Just be careful of the unsettling computer-generated Bridges(es?).
January 1, 2018
Once again no Sequel from Disney, wake up Disney , you got gold in your Vaults
January 1, 2018
Bad acting, bad dialogue, uninspired visuals. Tried to finish it, but just as the plot kicked in I decided to do anything else.
½ December 26, 2017
+ visuals
+ music
+ sound
- story and characters
This has to be seen on big screen. Otherwise its pointlless.
Take it as a 90minute Daft Punk soundtrack.
3/5 (fans of daft punk and scifi)
1/ 5 for othres
½ December 19, 2017
TL;DR: An extremely entertaining and gorgeous action movie in certain spots, and shouldn't be taken seriously. It lacks in story and has a 'meh' ending.

This movie came out when I was 10, and it absolutely wow'd me. The special effects and action sequences were spectacular. But back then, I didn't really pay attention to the plot or any character development. It was basically just waiting for the next cool scene.

Looking back on it now, TRON Legacy has a pretty dull plot, not to mention an incredibly anti-climatic ending. When I first saw it, I was incredibly confused. I left the theater wondering what the heck happened at the end. The movie didn't even attempt to explain what happened to Kevin Flynn, Tron, or even the Grid itself. Did everyone die? Did the Grid reset, erasing everything that was created in that computer? If you expected the movie to have a closing monologue or even a conversation between two of the protagonists about that, you'd be wrong.

The plot itself was pretty lack luster too. Everything is extremely predictable and led to pretty boring plot twists. Zeus turning out to be a supporter of CLU is eye-rolling, and TRON turning out to be alive is obvious from the start. Another annoying thing about the plot is the goal for the protagonists. The portal to the real world is incredibly far away just 'because'. The movie attempts to explain that Kevin Flynn didn't want any computer programs slipping into the real world, but then says that they need his disc to return anyways. Kind of defeats the purpose of having it far away if no one can go through it anyways.

Probably the most annoying problem with the film is Kevin Flynn. He's too god-like, to put it bluntly. There's no practically no suspense whenever he's with the Sam and Quorra. The other problem with him is that he isn't the goofy smart-ass like he is in the original movie. He's suddenly a wise, non-compulsive, pacifist because the script demanded it (errr, I mean because he's old), completely destroying any character development from the previous movie. It just boils down to 'stupid'.

Let's focus on a positive. The soundtrack to this movie is AMAZING. Whoever signed Daft Punk to this movie deserves way more credit that they got. This is seriously one of the top movie soundtracks ever in my opinion.

Overall, I still love this movie. It has so many cool scenes that I can't call it a terrible movie. Sure, it's certainly a 'meh' movie with lots of issues, but for anyone who lacks mindless action sequences, definitely consider this movie.
½ December 11, 2017
A pretty film with an interesting story, but ultimately lacks on execution.

The Master Control Program is booted back up in this revamped Tron continuation that sees the return of original star Jeff Bridges as Kevin Flynn, the brilliant computer programmer whose disappearance leads his son, Sam (Garrett Hedlund), to search for him in and out of the computer world.

"Tron: Legacy", starring CGI Jeff Bridges and awkward conversations galore. Besides that and a handful of other things, this wasn't too terrible. It's certainly not one of Disney's top films but it's not their worst. There's a lot left to be desired here and I think this film could've been really special, but it ultimately felt squandered by cheap visual effects and an incoherent, kind of boring story.

One thing that is great is the color scheme and overall vibe this movie gave. I say vibe and I kind of shake my head, but it's true. There's an atmosphere, and ambiance created through the use of visual effects that makes the film fun. I think this film looks very nice. I wouldn't count that up to the cinematography like most people would, but rather the special effects team.

One thing that was really weak was the story. I mean, you have all the potential in the world to set up this action packed adventure where this other dimension exists inside the computer world. It honestly felt too slow at the beginning and too rushed at the end. The story wasn't coherent and the pacing lacked. I think there was potential for a much more fun story here, but it was honestly boring and I wasn't that attached to it.

While I think this film looks good on some levels, it also looks kind of cheesy. I think that the young, CGI Jeff Bridges was just way too much. I don't think he was animated that well and it just took me out of the moment every time he appeared. I don't think it was a terrible idea but they could've modified the story to make it just as interesting, but more appropriate. I mean come on, did you really think that would work?

I also thought the choreography was kind of weak and the blocking could've used work. For a film that's excitement comes from its action / adventure scenes, I thought there was a lot left to be desired. Most adventures here just felt pretty weak and lifeless. There was no real fun to be had because they were either shot weirdly, choreographed badly, or just not that well written.

In the end, this really isn's a terrible film, I'm just more vocal on the negatives than I am on the positives. I think you can have some fun in this film but it won't be a lot. It's not like this film is so terrible that you can't watch it, but it certainly isn't the most brightest flick out there.
December 2, 2017
It does waste some of its potential, and there's not an abundance of character development, but Tron: Legacy is one of the underrated films in history. The musical score is one of the best ever made, easily in my top 10 movie scores ever, and the CGI elements look real and still hold up today. The script is good, and the acting is great. Jeff Bridges is great as both Kevin Flynn and the villainous Clu, Garrett Hedlund doesn't disappoint as Sam Flynn, and Olivia Wilde is absolutely perfect as the intelligent yet naive Quora. Honestly, I wish they would get off their butts and make a third film already, because it literally can't come too soon.
½ November 8, 2017
Post-produced to a level that competes with an honestly trying story, this attempts to duplicate the effect of the original by going farther and cleaner down the computer effects line than we're used to, but the dazzling visuals are so polished that it doesn't evoke much excitement, yet it sometimes still outdoes the drama and humor.
October 29, 2017
Tron: Legacy may have lacked in story, but this is a big, bright, exciting experience.
October 25, 2017
The story and imagery were beautiful, but the score was the real show-stopper. Daft Punk outdid themselves and turned a good movie into a captivating epic.
½ October 21, 2017
Epic awesome epic! Totally recommend!
½ September 25, 2017
I liked the movie! this was my first ever 4K movie I have seen. critics bashed too hard.
½ September 1, 2017
I thought this was solid
August 3, 2017
An epic film. Much better than the original. Cast performance and visuals were amazing. I almost cried when Flynn was killed along with Clu.
½ July 30, 2017
The dialogue is super cheesy but the acting and the incredible special effects make up for it.
July 16, 2017
I watched this movie back in 2010 when I was 11 years old, now with 18 I decided to watch it again, and for the first time watching a movie, I felt the same emotions from when I watched it the first time. The movie is so original and the CGI is still good even after 7 years which is remarkable, and the story is just astonishing and full of action and emotions. Disney doesn't know how to deal with a couple of critics, since after this movie's "failure" they are abandoning anything related to it with fear that the next step will "fail" again, which is why I think this movie is too original for disney's good old formula, which they use in the Marvel movies and etc. I can say that this is one of the most remarkable movies I've ever watched and is super underrated for reasons I don't quite understand, which is sad. I hope Disney doesn't kill the marvelous universe just because of a dozen of critics