Tron Legacy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tron Legacy Reviews

½ December 11, 2017
A pretty film with an interesting story, but ultimately lacks on execution.

The Master Control Program is booted back up in this revamped Tron continuation that sees the return of original star Jeff Bridges as Kevin Flynn, the brilliant computer programmer whose disappearance leads his son, Sam (Garrett Hedlund), to search for him in and out of the computer world.

"Tron: Legacy", starring CGI Jeff Bridges and awkward conversations galore. Besides that and a handful of other things, this wasn't too terrible. It's certainly not one of Disney's top films but it's not their worst. There's a lot left to be desired here and I think this film could've been really special, but it ultimately felt squandered by cheap visual effects and an incoherent, kind of boring story.

One thing that is great is the color scheme and overall vibe this movie gave. I say vibe and I kind of shake my head, but it's true. There's an atmosphere, and ambiance created through the use of visual effects that makes the film fun. I think this film looks very nice. I wouldn't count that up to the cinematography like most people would, but rather the special effects team.

One thing that was really weak was the story. I mean, you have all the potential in the world to set up this action packed adventure where this other dimension exists inside the computer world. It honestly felt too slow at the beginning and too rushed at the end. The story wasn't coherent and the pacing lacked. I think there was potential for a much more fun story here, but it was honestly boring and I wasn't that attached to it.

While I think this film looks good on some levels, it also looks kind of cheesy. I think that the young, CGI Jeff Bridges was just way too much. I don't think he was animated that well and it just took me out of the moment every time he appeared. I don't think it was a terrible idea but they could've modified the story to make it just as interesting, but more appropriate. I mean come on, did you really think that would work?

I also thought the choreography was kind of weak and the blocking could've used work. For a film that's excitement comes from its action / adventure scenes, I thought there was a lot left to be desired. Most adventures here just felt pretty weak and lifeless. There was no real fun to be had because they were either shot weirdly, choreographed badly, or just not that well written.

In the end, this really isn's a terrible film, I'm just more vocal on the negatives than I am on the positives. I think you can have some fun in this film but it won't be a lot. It's not like this film is so terrible that you can't watch it, but it certainly isn't the most brightest flick out there.
December 2, 2017
It does waste some of its potential, and there's not an abundance of character development, but Tron: Legacy is one of the underrated films in history. The musical score is one of the best ever made, easily in my top 10 movie scores ever, and the CGI elements look real and still hold up today. The script is good, and the acting is great. Jeff Bridges is great as both Kevin Flynn and the villainous Clu, Garrett Hedlund doesn't disappoint as Sam Flynn, and Olivia Wilde is absolutely perfect as the intelligent yet naive Quora. Honestly, I wish they would get off their butts and make a third film already, because it literally can't come too soon.
½ November 8, 2017
Post-produced to a level that competes with an honestly trying story, this attempts to duplicate the effect of the original by going farther and cleaner down the computer effects line than we're used to, but the dazzling visuals are so polished that it doesn't evoke much excitement, yet it sometimes still outdoes the drama and humor.
October 29, 2017
Tron: Legacy may have lacked in story, but this is a big, bright, exciting experience.
October 25, 2017
The story and imagery were beautiful, but the score was the real show-stopper. Daft Punk outdid themselves and turned a good movie into a captivating epic.
½ October 21, 2017
Epic awesome epic! Totally recommend!
½ September 25, 2017
I liked the movie! this was my first ever 4K movie I have seen. critics bashed too hard.
½ September 1, 2017
I thought this was solid
August 3, 2017
An epic film. Much better than the original. Cast performance and visuals were amazing. I almost cried when Flynn was killed along with Clu.
½ July 30, 2017
The dialogue is super cheesy but the acting and the incredible special effects make up for it.
July 16, 2017
I watched this movie back in 2010 when I was 11 years old, now with 18 I decided to watch it again, and for the first time watching a movie, I felt the same emotions from when I watched it the first time. The movie is so original and the CGI is still good even after 7 years which is remarkable, and the story is just astonishing and full of action and emotions. Disney doesn't know how to deal with a couple of critics, since after this movie's "failure" they are abandoning anything related to it with fear that the next step will "fail" again, which is why I think this movie is too original for disney's good old formula, which they use in the Marvel movies and etc. I can say that this is one of the most remarkable movies I've ever watched and is super underrated for reasons I don't quite understand, which is sad. I hope Disney doesn't kill the marvelous universe just because of a dozen of critics
July 15, 2017
i love this movie and i cant say any problem its one of successful movie of disney and i too agree this
July 15, 2017
The best movie ive ever seen in 3D. Amazing soundtrack. Perfection on every level.
June 30, 2017
Lacks some substance and feels more like another MTV music video with pretty, dressed-up people. if you want more character development and "substance" in this excellent sci-fi film, you've got the wrong expectations. This film is a sci-fi ride in 3-D. and yeah, so what if its strongest aspect is its aesthetic perfection?!!! not the most memorable film and might not be worth a re-watch.
June 29, 2017
Strong visuals & music along with a script that propels the storyline forward. There's a balance of action, intrigue, and comedy that works well. This movie is underrated and probably would have improved in the sequels.
June 22, 2017
Awesome movie and great soundtrack. Not much else to be said.
May 31, 2017
While it looks great, the weak plot and iffy acting fail to lift Tron Legacy above a ho-hum experience.
May 30, 2017
This is Science Fiction of the highest order...way beyond the original film. The Daft Punk soundtrack is priceless.
½ May 25, 2017
forgettable plot, awesome visuals, especially if you saw it in IMAX
May 21, 2017
let me just say, I LOVED THIS MOVIE! the illustrations and art is superb. the soundtrack completely matched and resonated with the whole film (daft punk), brought its to life. the story was great, of course it think could they should have refined the story more. overall this was my expectation a perfect cyberworld tech movie with great soundtrack that really help create my favorite disney movie. i really hope they get make tron 3