Broken Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Broken Hill Reviews

½ May 23, 2015
Working in a prison, I know there are several aspects of this movie that are way off the mark. Putting that aside, the story here is better than average, the actors get into their roles, and this is a family friendly movie. Arnold and Vega work well as a couple once they get together, and the ending is nearly magical (if unbelievable). Worth your time.
½ August 5, 2013
Lovely Aussie flick. Entertaining and with heart. Great family film.
December 29, 2012
Loved it. Love the way music writing is expressed cinematographically, being a musician myself. The characters are truly endearing.
½ June 14, 2012
Music-based, youth-centric entertainment is everywhere these days. Between kiddie sitcoms such as "VICTORiOUS" and "JONAS," movies like the "High School Musical" films, video games that include "Rock Band" and "Dance Dance Revolution"...it's every place you look. With all the tuneful shows, movies, and games out there, "Broken Hill" probably will get lost in the shuffle...which is a shame. Why? Simply because "Broken Hill" is a well-produced, wonderfully-acted, inspiring piece of film that is very different from anything Nickelodeon or Disney Channel has recently put out. (That's not to say the programming on Nick and The Mouse Network are all bad; they're just not the same.) Alexa Vega ("Spy Kids," "From Prada to Nada") and Luke Arnold do quite well as the leads, and...well, it's hard to think of something about the movie that ISN'T good. Well, I can think of one: Unless you're a total music buff, I don't think you'd want to purchase "Broken Hill," but it would be great for a family movie night, especially since the content is quite clean; one mild profanity is about as bad as it gets. In short: Those who love family movies and television will probably enjoy "Broken Hill," and should go check their local library or video rental store for it as soon as possible.
½ May 28, 2012
Love movies that are about music
April 5, 2012
A joyous, feel good film !
½ February 25, 2012
i thought this was a aussie western boy was i wrong!
February 3, 2012
CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!..I sure love a good movie that has a FANTASTIC ending. This is one of those movies. Absolutely satisfying, fun, and enjoyable concert ending. The movie itself was very well done, also. Good characters. Good cast. Good music. Timothy Hutton with an Australian accent? yep. Done pretty well, albeit a little hard to get use to. All in all, though, a rather good little Australian flick.
September 12, 2011
Great moving film. Make you believe you can do anything you set out to do.
September 6, 2011
I didn't know what to expect with this movie, and almost stopped watching it when it first started. This storyline for this movie is not original by any means. I've seen it a million times before. However, it turned out to be a feel-good movie, which apparently I am a sucker for. I was pleasantly surprised by the turn out of this movie, and enjoyed the music.
July 15, 2011
Australian Space Trucker
½ July 11, 2011
I loved this movie. The scenery and the music make this movie!
July 7, 2011
Broken Hill is a wonderful movie. The first few minutes of the movie instantly capture my attention! It tells the story of a teenage boy named Tommy (played by Luke Arnold) who dreams of starting a band to get into music school, but is distracted from his goal because he likes a girl in his class named Kat (played by Alexa Vega), and he is also discouraged by his father. Tommy and Kat end up doing community service at a jail after they pull a juvenile prank and get caught by the police. The two do not get along initially, but they gradually become friends and form an original band with the prison inmates. Is Tommy?s band good enough to get him into the Sydney Conservatory music school? You have to watch this movie for yourself!

I love this movie become it is very creative. I never heard someone play ?Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? so authentically until I heard Tommy and the inmates improvise with the song and make it sound so awesome by using all kinds of instruments- from buckets to violins. The final piece Tommy?s band plays is also excellent. I think the original music by Christopher Brady and the orchestrator David Long are fantastic! I also like how director Dagen Merrill shows how Tommy hears music everywhere. Just by listening to things in nature such as grasshoppers, the wind, and rivers, in the middle of the Australian desert, Tommy can replace these normal noises with the sounds of instruments to compose a beautiful symphony in his mind. I am impressed at the way the director made this comparison.

It is difficult for me to hear everything the actors are saying because most of them have an Australian accent. Other than that, I think this is a great movie. I would recommend it to children ages 11 and up because the movie contains some deep messages that may be hard for younger kids to understand such as music can be found everywhere, and music can lift anyone?s spirits. This movie will suit most viewers, especially those who are interested in music.

Reviewed by Gabriella Chu, KIDS FIRST! Film Critic
½ June 24, 2011
This was a fantastic movie about a kid that struggles with his life and the dream that he has that seems so unattainable. Getting into trouble with the law is the window he needs to make his dream a reality. The cast was great, the story was wonderful, and the ending was perfect.
June 5, 2011
Started out kind of slow, but finally got interesting. Good family movie for a Sunday afternoon. If you like fine arts, and movies about music, you will like this one. Just OK for me.
½ May 16, 2011
Usually Australian movies are boring. So can you imagine how interesting an Australian movie where the idea is not genuine can be.
April 28, 2010
I enjoyed this quite a bit. Yes it was predictable but still worth watching.
April 21, 2010
A joyous, feel good film !
April 9, 2010
Solid movie with a good cast and catchy music... Moments can be a bit corny and dry but I enjoyed th characters and wouldn't mind seeing it again. Definently a rent.
March 12, 2010
I saw this movie as a fundraiser to help my media tech class, and I wasn't expecting much. This movie was AMAZING! I think it is on my top 5 favorite movies. It was extremely motivational, and just brilliant. Go see this when it comes out!