Armed and Dangerous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Armed and Dangerous Reviews

½ May 27, 2016
Security guards uncover a crime in this fun uneven comedy.
½ February 26, 2016
One of John Candy's least impressive performances and a mediocre crime-comedy that seeks to emulate Beverly Hills Cop.
½ January 26, 2016
I think you need to be a fan of these folks but if you are, this is a nostalgic super 80s romp. Light on laughs and of course script, yet somehow the cast makes it more than watchable. It's probably a like it or hate it movie. It's humble and I went with it.
½ March 22, 2015
Candy's movies always were hit or miss and this is clearly on the side of miss.
½ March 6, 2015
Frank Dooley (John Candy) and Norman Kane (Eugene Levy) are both have lost there way and are now teamed up together as security guards. The begin to suspect union corruption and are determined to get to the bottom of it. Candy provides the muscle and Levy the brains in this action comedy. Armed and Dangerous isn't great, but its easy to watch and has some character. Its pretty typical for a cop action comedy, but it has its moments.
February 23, 2015
A bit silly and predictable, but John Candy still managed to make me laugh in this. Not one of the great comedies, but not as bad as you might fear it is either.
½ February 3, 2015
This was a film that I remember really liking back in the day. However, adolescent me did not find this film nearly as funny as I did during my repeat viewing on VHS. John Candy and Eugene Levy are rent-a-cops who uncover a heist scheme by their crooked union leaders, played by Brion James, Jonathan Banks, and Robert Loggia. The film also features a before-she-was-famous Meg Ryan and the rent-a-cop company owner, Kenneth McMillan. Despite a strong cast (including some stellar characters actors like Don Stroud, Larry Hankin, Steve Railsback, Tiny Lister, James Tolkan, Judy Landers and even Tito Puente! ), and a script co-written by Harold Ramis (though he asked to have his name removed), the film is really just not all that funny and is definitely aimed at juvenile minds, which is probably why I liked it so much as a kid. I loved the people in the film, but the the "comedy" left a lot to be desired.
½ July 26, 2014
(First and only viewing - 7/8/2010)
½ April 16, 2014
John Candy is a Legend.
½ January 26, 2014
Another movie from my childhood, it isn't a great movies, but I have fond memories of it. I love John Candy, and he and Levy have a good chemistry. Was fun seeing it again. Check it out!
½ October 17, 2013
It has its moments. But its very negative most of the way through. some jokes but not enough to keep you into it.
½ October 10, 2013
Oh, John Candy, you made some wonderful movies (Uncle Buck, Planes, Trains and Automobiles), but this was a stinker. This may be the worst movie starring you, I think.
July 11, 2013
I saw this movie last night and I can't remember a damn thing about it. John Candy and Eugene Levy play a cop and a lawyer who lose their jobs and become security guards. Meg Ryan shows up as Eugene Levy's love interest. Uh...yeah. Not a lot of reality to be found in this stinker.
March 7, 2013
Good cast potential and decent premise sets up this typical 80's comedic farce, but unfortunately the script and direction comes across sloppy like a dry run before the real good stuff. It just doesn't have the laughs it could have.
½ February 18, 2013
A fair effort from Candy here, not one of his strongest films as this one seemed to focus heavily on action and lacked on comedy... It really didn't make me laugh like Candy's other comedy films! However; it's still better than any comedy you're going to find out there today and still makes an easy and entertaining view... Worth the watch!
January 27, 2013
John Candy and Eugene Levy are Armed and Dangerous in this quirky '80s buddy comedy. The story follows a disgraced ex-cop and an incompetent lawyer who become armed security guards that accidentally stubble across a major criminal operation. The plot's fairly thin and the characters are pretty formulaic. But Candy and Levy have good chemistry, and they work well with this type of screwball humor. Despite the light story, Armed and Dangerous works as a silly, cornballish comedy and it delivers some good laughs.
½ October 27, 2012
Should be better with this cast (Levy, Candy, Ryan, and even Larry "Flash" Jenkins, guest star in Quincy M.E. episode # 110, "Guns Don't Die", in a small role) and Harold Ramis contributing behind the camera.
½ September 9, 2012
Still love this movie all these years later. Dumb but funny!
½ August 27, 2012
A typical John Candy movie, co-starring Eugene Levy (before he decided to hop aboard the American Pie milktruck), Meg Ryan (before she decided to leave her marriage for a telephone-slinging Aussie), Robert Loggia, Duke from Rocky and Mr Strickland from Back To The Future. Really enjoyable if you're into these types of movies, which I find a guilty pleasure.
July 12, 2012
John has done better movies than this.