The Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hole Reviews

November 16, 2017
A chilling young teen supernatural horror. Solid enough, but the 'leave my brother on his own in peril' plot device wore a bit thin after the tenth time...
½ October 8, 2017
Creepy but cute homage to 80's teen horrors. Like a re-imagining of The Gate. Pretty mild but kind of enjoyable in a nostalgic sense. I like the kind of visuals they used, it was neat. Plenty of old tropes and cliches of course, but I'm sure that was intentional. 6.5/10
½ August 14, 2017
an underrated horror movie even just suitable for the younger generation, as long as your not afraid of clown puppets and brains.
½ July 14, 2017
Two brothers find a hole in the basement that leads to their darkest fears and nightmares.

Terrible ending ruined the story.
May 6, 2017
Simple, but entertaining
½ March 16, 2017
The movie is horrific, not in the good way. HOT TRASH!
½ October 23, 2016
Garbage. Absolutely garbage. The actor who plays the older brother is perhaps one of the worst actors of all time. This film is absurd, and doesn't even have a level of campiness that gives it charm. There are some concepts that are interesting within the film, but the execution is so awful I wish I could scrub my memory of watching this shit show.
October 9, 2016
This movie started out ok and just went downhill from there...
October 2, 2016
a low-budget horror flick with really good kid actors and a sense of wonder
hearkens back to the classic 1980's flicks along Speilberg
a good amount of frights with funny dialogue make this a treat to watch
Teri Polo does a very good job playing the mother as well
October 2, 2016
Not a bad movie about fear. This is a really good gateway horror.
½ September 5, 2016
It was like an extended episode of Goosebumps, including the cinematography and special effects.
½ August 13, 2016
This wasn't a bad movie. Some kids move into a house that has a hole to... hell? Not sure where the hole goes. This could have been pretty amazing, but you could tell it was geared towards kids.
August 4, 2016
Just when I
thought RT is reliable in critiquing films, they would spoil my faith in RT by giving this unscarry film a fresh 81%???? It is clear that making a movie 3 D cannot make a bad movie less bad. My chief gripe is the poor acting of Chris who played the main character Dane. Unflappable and never looked scared throughout the film With his pretty face, he is probably more suited to joining Channing gyrating on stage while peeling off his clothing.
July 23, 2016
Kid friendly horror not for the serious horror junkies
July 19, 2016
The scary parts are terrifying, but there aren't many of them. The not scary parts are stupid (thanks to Joe Dante) and I could barely watch them. I almost wasn't gonna be able to get this fresh, until the ending...I loved the ending
July 9, 2016
A whole lotta fun! A kids scarer that could only be directed by the great Joe Dante!
½ June 3, 2016
Family friendly horror has its place, and you could definitely do worse than "The Hole" if that's what you're after.
½ May 17, 2016
If you like this movie, you REALLY need to watch it again or maybe rethink WHY you like it. Nostalgia doesn't make a film good. This movie was BORING. Not only that but the concept was STUPID filled with multiple instances where you can tell the writers have no oringality. Convenient plot devices and 'how they hell do they know that' moments make me roll my eyes the entire movie. Don't get me wrong, I love Joe Dante but this movie SUCKED.
May 3, 2016
Interesting and charming, but above it all the beautiful ambience of teenage movie distinctive to teen movies of the 80's.
April 30, 2016
very surprised that many people don't like this. it's very solid all around film. its not scary, but its definitely got the creep factor. i love joe dante