The Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hole Reviews

½ October 23, 2016
Garbage. Absolutely garbage. The actor who plays the older brother is perhaps one of the worst actors of all time. This film is absurd, and doesn't even have a level of campiness that gives it charm. There are some concepts that are interesting within the film, but the execution is so awful I wish I could scrub my memory of watching this shit show.
October 9, 2016
This movie started out ok and just went downhill from there...
October 2, 2016
a low-budget horror flick with really good kid actors and a sense of wonder
hearkens back to the classic 1980's flicks along Speilberg
a good amount of frights with funny dialogue make this a treat to watch
Teri Polo does a very good job playing the mother as well
October 2, 2016
Not a bad movie about fear. This is a really good gateway horror.
½ September 5, 2016
It was like an extended episode of Goosebumps, including the cinematography and special effects.
½ August 13, 2016
This wasn't a bad movie. Some kids move into a house that has a hole to... hell? Not sure where the hole goes. This could have been pretty amazing, but you could tell it was geared towards kids.
August 4, 2016
Just when I
thought RT is reliable in critiquing films, they would spoil my faith in RT by giving this unscarry film a fresh 81%???? It is clear that making a movie 3 D cannot make a bad movie less bad. My chief gripe is the poor acting of Chris who played the main character Dane. Unflappable and never looked scared throughout the film With his pretty face, he is probably more suited to joining Channing gyrating on stage while peeling off his clothing.
½ July 24, 2016
The movie is horrific, not in the good way.
July 23, 2016
Kid friendly horror not for the serious horror junkies
July 19, 2016
The scary parts are terrifying, but there aren't many of them. The not scary parts are stupid (thanks to Joe Dante) and I could barely watch them. I almost wasn't gonna be able to get this fresh, until the ending...I loved the ending
July 9, 2016
A whole lotta fun! A kids scarer that could only be directed by the great Joe Dante!
½ June 3, 2016
Family friendly horror has its place, and you could definitely do worse than "The Hole" if that's what you're after.
½ May 17, 2016
If you like this movie, you REALLY need to watch it again or maybe rethink WHY you like it. Nostalgia doesn't make a film good. This movie was BORING. Not only that but the concept was STUPID filled with multiple instances where you can tell the writers have no oringality. Convenient plot devices and 'how they hell do they know that' moments make me roll my eyes the entire movie. Don't get me wrong, I love Joe Dante but this movie SUCKED.
May 3, 2016
Interesting and charming, but above it all the beautiful ambience of teenage movie distinctive to teen movies of the 80's.
April 30, 2016
very surprised that many people don't like this. it's very solid all around film. its not scary, but its definitely got the creep factor. i love joe dante
April 12, 2016
Joe Dante deserves a little more credit. He seems to be loved by critics and hated on by general audiences...which is usually the opposite in most cases. I don't get it...maybe people are going into it expecting more from a PG-13 "horror" film. Yah...Horror doesn't seem to be the genre that's attached itself to this film for some reason...but I believe it fits in every way. It's made for adventurous kids, and horror seekers that don't mind casual, fun scares. It's not for those who need to be terrified to the very core to enjoy a movie. I found this film fun, and interesting through out. With some genuine scares, and creepy moments. It's just unfortunate that a film with some great ideas, and a director with great vision...didn't have a polished enough script to work with, and some more decent actors. The acting was below-par...but the script is where the issues lay. It seems like all the main characters are seeing the same things...and yet they keep denying each other and not believing one another. Makes no sense. Other than that...this was a very nice attempt at a film that seems like a classic episode of "Are You Afraid of The Dark" or "Goosebumps" with much more length, and a bit more chills.
April 9, 2016
The Hole is a fun horror movie, and I really do mean fun. It has a strange sort of tone, with the premise of two brothers and the girl next door find something mysterious, it almost has the set-up of so many children's adventure films. Sort of like The Goonies but with a much smaller group. That aspect of the movie has a lighthearted sense of fun and adventure to it that I really enjoyed. However, the thing they find introduces horrors to their life that bring on some genuinely scary moments to the film, but these parts are still enjoyable in their own right. It's this unique tone of the movie that makes me think this could be a really good Halloween watch for slightly older kids. The type of thing that would scare them but wouldn't scar them for life or anything. I was very impressed with the way the film balanced these unique tones and styles, and I really enjoyed it overall. There's also a lot of creativity to it, especially in the final act when s*** really starts going down, and there's a good message behind it about confronting your fears. My gripes about the movie are small, but noticeable. Most of all that the story isn't quite as fulfilling as I would have liked. The characters all have a solid arc with good development, but the mystery behind the hole itself is never really explored. I know that's not the point of the movie, and maybe it would have made things worse if they'd started explaining it, but by leaving us completely in the dark I was a little disappointed. There's also some occasional lulls in pace, a few instances of some pretty lame CGI, and while the message is good it sometimes feels a little hammered in often telling us things we could have figured out on our own. Still, these gripes hardly ruin the experience, they just bring it down ever so slightly. As a whole, I liked The Hole. It was unique and a good time with solid performances and creativity to spare.
½ April 6, 2016
wow, I was not expecting much from this at all but was pleasantly surprised.

I was creeper out the entire time
March 30, 2016
Original, creative, and is a cliffhanger that will make you want to see a sequel! It definitely has some scares up it's sleeve, definitely worth watching.~
March 26, 2016
This movie brought me back similarities when I use to watch " Goosebumps" back in the day. It was almost like that. That's why this movie was entertaining, the horror is kid horror not violent for adults. The two main kids did an awesome job, as well for the girl. The story was very good and even the horror scenes are scarier than we seen in any other horror movie recently. So for this being something different in the kid friendly genre, I give " The Hole " a C.