The Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hole Reviews

April 12, 2016
Joe Dante deserves a little more credit. He seems to be loved by critics and hated on by general audiences...which is usually the opposite in most cases. I don't get it...maybe people are going into it expecting more from a PG-13 "horror" film. Yah...Horror doesn't seem to be the genre that's attached itself to this film for some reason...but I believe it fits in every way. It's made for adventurous kids, and horror seekers that don't mind casual, fun scares. It's not for those who need to be terrified to the very core to enjoy a movie. I found this film fun, and interesting through out. With some genuine scares, and creepy moments. It's just unfortunate that a film with some great ideas, and a director with great vision...didn't have a polished enough script to work with, and some more decent actors. The acting was below-par...but the script is where the issues lay. It seems like all the main characters are seeing the same things...and yet they keep denying each other and not believing one another. Makes no sense. Other than that...this was a very nice attempt at a film that seems like a classic episode of "Are You Afraid of The Dark" or "Goosebumps" with much more length, and a bit more chills.
April 9, 2016
The Hole is a fun horror movie, and I really do mean fun. It has a strange sort of tone, with the premise of two brothers and the girl next door find something mysterious, it almost has the set-up of so many children's adventure films. Sort of like The Goonies but with a much smaller group. That aspect of the movie has a lighthearted sense of fun and adventure to it that I really enjoyed. However, the thing they find introduces horrors to their life that bring on some genuinely scary moments to the film, but these parts are still enjoyable in their own right. It's this unique tone of the movie that makes me think this could be a really good Halloween watch for slightly older kids. The type of thing that would scare them but wouldn't scar them for life or anything. I was very impressed with the way the film balanced these unique tones and styles, and I really enjoyed it overall. There's also a lot of creativity to it, especially in the final act when s*** really starts going down, and there's a good message behind it about confronting your fears. My gripes about the movie are small, but noticeable. Most of all that the story isn't quite as fulfilling as I would have liked. The characters all have a solid arc with good development, but the mystery behind the hole itself is never really explored. I know that's not the point of the movie, and maybe it would have made things worse if they'd started explaining it, but by leaving us completely in the dark I was a little disappointed. There's also some occasional lulls in pace, a few instances of some pretty lame CGI, and while the message is good it sometimes feels a little hammered in often telling us things we could have figured out on our own. Still, these gripes hardly ruin the experience, they just bring it down ever so slightly. As a whole, I liked The Hole. It was unique and a good time with solid performances and creativity to spare.
½ April 6, 2016
wow, I was not expecting much from this at all but was pleasantly surprised.

I was creeper out the entire time
March 30, 2016
Original, creative, and is a cliffhanger that will make you want to see a sequel! It definitely has some scares up it's sleeve, definitely worth watching.ð~
March 26, 2016
This movie brought me back similarities when I use to watch " Goosebumps" back in the day. It was almost like that. That's why this movie was entertaining, the horror is kid horror not violent for adults. The two main kids did an awesome job, as well for the girl. The story was very good and even the horror scenes are scarier than we seen in any other horror movie recently. So for this being something different in the kid friendly genre, I give " The Hole " a C.
March 25, 2016
You're tempting fate.

A group of prep school students sneak off Easter weekend into a bunker of sorts for sexual misadventures. Unfortunately, they get trapped for the weekend in the bunker with no apparent way of escape. The friends will try to get through the event unscathed and without harm; however, they don't know one of the girls has a troubled past that may come out of her in the bunker...

"Did you ever crave someone so much that you didn't exist anymore?"

Nick Hamm, director of Dancing Queen, Killing Bono, Talk to Angels, The Very Thought of You, Godsend, Micky Love, and Briefest Encounters, delivers The Hole. The storyline for this picture is a bit cliché but fun to watch unfold with interesting characters and setting. There aren't many horror elements and the acting is just okay.

"I want to go back to the hole."

I came across this on Netflix and added it to the wish list a long time ago. I finally got around to watching this and found it better than I anticipated. This isn't a masterpiece or must own, but the characters are realistic and well written and the acting is believable. This is worth watching once.

"I really think I can help you feel better."

Grade: C+
February 18, 2016
Kids get a bad rap in films. It is assumed because of their age and lack of experience, that they are less talented than adult actors. While in many cases this is true, it is not the rule. Some people I spoke to, immediately had no interest in The Hole, because of it's young cast. Right away they were saying this is going to be a rip off of Goosebumps and didn't even give it a chance. The film may not have been the scariest film I've ever seen, but it had a great backstory, a lot of suspense, and some very talented young actors. Those kids play Dane and Lucas, who are forced to move from the city to the country, to hide from an abusive father. The boys are miserable and decide to explore the old house the family has rented. What they find is a giant hole in the basement, with seemingly no bottom. As they continue to be fascinated by the hole, things in this small town, and especially in this old house just continue to get stranger and stranger, leading to a tremendous ending that will teach the boys, that sometimes the only thing you can do is face your fears. The star of this film is Nathan Gamble, who has done a lot for someone so young. I've seen him in a bunch of things and weather he's playing Commissioner Gordon's son in The Dark Knight, or the young activist in Dolphin's Tale, Gamble just has this way of always pulling at the audiences heart strings. Once again he's this cute, innocent kid, who's been traumatized by years of abuse, yet he still manages to face his fears, unleashed by the hole. I've seen plenty of films where kids in this situation just run away and hide, but that's not his style, and that's part of why this movie isn't a Goosebumps story. The bottom line, I think The Hole will appeal to Science Fiction fans more than Horror fans, despite the fact that it's labelled as Horror. The young cast is refreshingly energetic, curious, and eager, all things that will become contagious, and make the Hole, a much better film than you think it's going to be.
½ January 28, 2016
3d version only available on Netflix streaming
½ January 5, 2016
If you took out the swear words, then changed the title to "Goosebumps: The Hole", then it would make the movie title seem more fitting to the movie.
This movie isn't scary, and got boring. It would be a horror movie for kids/young teens.
½ November 30, 2015
Not to bad of a movie
½ September 14, 2015
deserved a solid release and is one of those darker films that Gremlins was in the 80s. missed the market and that's the shame here
½ September 11, 2015
Despite having a direct to video quality about it, it was better than movies with 10-100 times the budget.
½ August 25, 2015
A loving ode to the films that inspired it but it doesn't quite work. At times quite dark and others; laughably tame.
August 20, 2015
An interesting and intense thriller that plays with your mind. What do you fear most?
½ August 12, 2015
The Hole begins with mystery and creepy atmosphere, but sadly falls flat by leaving nothing to the imagination
July 30, 2015
A classic film that I enjoyed
½ July 9, 2015
The Hole was a light hearted, fun and enjoyable horror movie. The premise was great, a hole in the basement is unlocked that brings the main characters biggest fears to life. There are definitely some very creepy moments, especially ones involving an evil clown doll but it always stays a bit tongue in cheek and never gets to dark. The acting was great and the leads all worked well together to create fun moments. Toward the end it got a little bit "out of this world" and kind of strayed from what the rest of the film had developed but it wasn't a horrible thing. This is the kind of horror movie that you might see on a late night Nickelodeon channel and it reminded me a bit of a "Are you afraid of the Dark" episode, only longer. I enjoyed it and would hope more scary films with this attitude would be released.
½ June 14, 2015
Really? 80% from critics?

Started out intriguing and scary, terrific set up.... to nothing. Turned out to be a teen film rather than horror film with a lesson.

*yawn*