The Hole - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hole Reviews

March 26, 2016
This movie brought me back similarities when I use to watch " Goosebumps" back in the day. It was almost like that. That's why this movie was entertaining, the horror is kid horror not violent for adults. The two main kids did an awesome job, as well for the girl. The story was very good and even the horror scenes are scarier than we seen in any other horror movie recently. So for this being something different in the kid friendly genre, I give " The Hole " a C.
March 25, 2016
You're tempting fate.

A group of prep school students sneak off Easter weekend into a bunker of sorts for sexual misadventures. Unfortunately, they get trapped for the weekend in the bunker with no apparent way of escape. The friends will try to get through the event unscathed and without harm; however, they don't know one of the girls has a troubled past that may come out of her in the bunker...

"Did you ever crave someone so much that you didn't exist anymore?"

Nick Hamm, director of Dancing Queen, Killing Bono, Talk to Angels, The Very Thought of You, Godsend, Micky Love, and Briefest Encounters, delivers The Hole. The storyline for this picture is a bit cliché but fun to watch unfold with interesting characters and setting. There aren't many horror elements and the acting is just okay.

"I want to go back to the hole."

I came across this on Netflix and added it to the wish list a long time ago. I finally got around to watching this and found it better than I anticipated. This isn't a masterpiece or must own, but the characters are realistic and well written and the acting is believable. This is worth watching once.

"I really think I can help you feel better."

Grade: C+
February 18, 2016
Kids get a bad rap in films. It is assumed because of their age and lack of experience, that they are less talented than adult actors. While in many cases this is true, it is not the rule. Some people I spoke to, immediately had no interest in The Hole, because of it's young cast. Right away they were saying this is going to be a rip off of Goosebumps and didn't even give it a chance. The film may not have been the scariest film I've ever seen, but it had a great backstory, a lot of suspense, and some very talented young actors. Those kids play Dane and Lucas, who are forced to move from the city to the country, to hide from an abusive father. The boys are miserable and decide to explore the old house the family has rented. What they find is a giant hole in the basement, with seemingly no bottom. As they continue to be fascinated by the hole, things in this small town, and especially in this old house just continue to get stranger and stranger, leading to a tremendous ending that will teach the boys, that sometimes the only thing you can do is face your fears. The star of this film is Nathan Gamble, who has done a lot for someone so young. I've seen him in a bunch of things and weather he's playing Commissioner Gordon's son in The Dark Knight, or the young activist in Dolphin's Tale, Gamble just has this way of always pulling at the audiences heart strings. Once again he's this cute, innocent kid, who's been traumatized by years of abuse, yet he still manages to face his fears, unleashed by the hole. I've seen plenty of films where kids in this situation just run away and hide, but that's not his style, and that's part of why this movie isn't a Goosebumps story. The bottom line, I think The Hole will appeal to Science Fiction fans more than Horror fans, despite the fact that it's labelled as Horror. The young cast is refreshingly energetic, curious, and eager, all things that will become contagious, and make the Hole, a much better film than you think it's going to be.
½ January 28, 2016
3d version only available on Netflix streaming
½ January 5, 2016
If you took out the swear words, then changed the title to "Goosebumps: The Hole", then it would make the movie title seem more fitting to the movie.
This movie isn't scary, and got boring. It would be a horror movie for kids/young teens.
½ November 30, 2015
Not to bad of a movie
½ September 14, 2015
deserved a solid release and is one of those darker films that Gremlins was in the 80s. missed the market and that's the shame here
½ September 11, 2015
Despite having a direct to video quality about it, it was better than movies with 10-100 times the budget.
½ August 25, 2015
A loving ode to the films that inspired it but it doesn't quite work. At times quite dark and others; laughably tame.
August 20, 2015
An interesting and intense thriller that plays with your mind. What do you fear most?
½ August 12, 2015
The Hole begins with mystery and creepy atmosphere, but sadly falls flat by leaving nothing to the imagination
July 30, 2015
A classic film that I enjoyed
½ July 9, 2015
The Hole was a light hearted, fun and enjoyable horror movie. The premise was great, a hole in the basement is unlocked that brings the main characters biggest fears to life. There are definitely some very creepy moments, especially ones involving an evil clown doll but it always stays a bit tongue in cheek and never gets to dark. The acting was great and the leads all worked well together to create fun moments. Toward the end it got a little bit "out of this world" and kind of strayed from what the rest of the film had developed but it wasn't a horrible thing. This is the kind of horror movie that you might see on a late night Nickelodeon channel and it reminded me a bit of a "Are you afraid of the Dark" episode, only longer. I enjoyed it and would hope more scary films with this attitude would be released.
½ June 14, 2015
Really? 80% from critics?

Started out intriguing and scary, terrific set up.... to nothing. Turned out to be a teen film rather than horror film with a lesson.

*yawn*
½ June 13, 2015
Would have worked better as a Goosebumps book.
½ May 8, 2015
The first third of the movie was somewhat scary. If I'm being generous. But once the plot mechanics are revealed, everything becomes dull and cliche. Every line of dialogue was delivered in the same monotonous, unfeeling style, the ending was confusing, pointless, and hardly related to the barely-there narrative. This isn't necessarily a bad movie, but there is nothing good about it, either. Only worth watching if you are incredibly bored, or may be entertained by nitpicking the movie to pieces.
April 20, 2015
Nice plot and acting especially for the young main characters who find themselves in a surreal Twilight Zone type of situation!
½ April 15, 2015
BOO!!! This movie sucked!!