Collapse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Collapse Reviews

½ July 13, 2016
A grim and thought-provoking must-see documentary that leaves us both terrified by the doomed future that Michael Ruppert foresees and saddened by the shattered life of a man who has tried his whole life to warn people of something he knows he is right about.
March 16, 2014
this movie looks amazing. like a refreshing wake up call.
½ February 9, 2014
Cautionary documentary owes much to the convictions of writer Ruppert.
December 9, 2013
Five stars for the message. Even if it does turn out to be gross exageration big changes do still need to happen....I've edited this review months later. No exageration he gets everything spot on . He told us to watch Greece for signs that the shit will hit the fan, which makes it scary and puts its up to 4 stars. Very good.
September 28, 2013
Even if Ruppert is half-right with respect to his theories, this film is frightening. What the media is not reporting......
September 11, 2013
I can't believe I just found out about this doc now, but I'm sure Michael Ruppert wouldn't be surprised. Compelling not just for the information, theme and messages, but also for time spent with a complex, highly intelligent, interesting, troubled man who has refused to abandon his cause, his integrity, and his drive to get the information he has in his head out to the world in order to wake us up, against all the forces that would rather this information not get out and those who would just rather not hear it. He's been right before, and while some of his predictions may be slightly off in terms of timeline, or some events, based on the current state of affairs, I somehow think he may not be that far off the mark.
½ July 24, 2013
Taken at face value, an endlessly fascinating and quietly unnerving documentary which forces you to rethink the modern industrial world.
July 9, 2013
Collapse is, to say the least, a well filmed film, which tells us the point of view and thoughts of a sole man. The director has rather clearly shown the psychological instability of Mr.Ruppert, and that is to the credit of the film maker. However, on the other hand, it is problematic for it defeats the purpose of the film in a way - why would people want to listen to a guy who is obviously full of resentment, anger, and has some 'messiahical' ideas about his role in society (despite the fact that he disputes that in the film). Despite that he claims that he is going to live the rest of his life a "happy and free" man, one can clearly see all the anger built up in him. Be it as it may, his theories are rather interesting and something to ponder on, but they do not provide any sort of viable solutions. Basically, what he is arguing is that EVERYTHING (and I do not kid you) exists because of oil today, and there will be a huge cataclysm once we run out of oil. Yes, that is quite possible, and his argumentation seems rather plausible, except of the fact that he does not provide for any alternatives. Not that that is necessarily his job, but after watching the film one feels confused about why he wonders people see him as an "alarmist." What else could one possibly see him as? That is also problematised in the end with the director's decision to point out that by the premiere of the film, Mr.Ruppert has been largely ignored by the media and his book becoming a flop, and him fighting to keep his home since he's without money. Be it as it may, he raises interesting questions, but as the director asked him in the film why people should believe him, or even as much as listen to him - that question, after watching the entire film, remains sadly unanswered. There, really, is no point in watching the film, and that is the sad truth. Interesting idea, but ultimately failed and deeply flawed documentary.
June 29, 2013
Although i don't disagree entirely with his outlook on the future, however cynical it may be, I would like for there to be more useable information unlike stockpiling seeds and pissing in my lawn.
June 4, 2013
This is heavy stuff.
½ May 31, 2013
The best part of this documentary was seeing how the 4 years of world affairs since release have followed his models. Terrifying. Must watch.
March 29, 2013
This is another one of these cry-in-the-wild documentaries designed to shake us up. Ruppert has very compelling arguments and, basically, says all the things we do not want to hear, things we've efficiently ignored for too long. It may be too late. Stuck in an inescapable situation his warning appears meaningless. It's as helpful as the first officer on the Titanic yelling "Iceberg" five seconds before hitting it. Plenty of food for thought.
February 25, 2013
Cohérent, lucide et simple d'accès. Le documentaire qui va certainement le plus loin dans l'analyse critique de notre monde et de ce qui nous attends.
January 23, 2013
Admittedly hard to sit through as it is just a guy sitting and smoking and talking. Still, it really makes you think about the future.
½ December 29, 2012
I watched the documentary Collapse today, and I'm still not sure what to make of this little beast. Michael Ruppert, is the only man of the documentary, which was pretty much just a self driven multi-media interview. Ruppert claims to not be a conspirator, because he uses fact. But it feels like he's so obsessed and paranoid, that he convinces himself of these facts. He talked about the Bush administration and Dick Cheney with such fear, that it's convincing. He states in one point of the film that "he's not messiah", but he sure acted like a prophet at times. Smoking a cigarette while talking about organics and the chemicals in soil, feels a bit contradictory to me. The words flowed out with such confidence and with an egotistic tone, it became hard to believe a word he said.

His ideas did match mine in some areas. When he was talking as a Malthusian, on oil and other natural resources, it was hard connect for me. It was to pessimistic when he would flat out state "it just will never work" on many of the solutions. I agree with the fundamentals, but to say buy seeds, invest in gold, get first aid books, sounds like a mix of Harold Camping and Glenn Beck to me. I did agree with him though on the sham that paper money is. Maybe some of what he says was true, but to think like he does, that every last thing he said was true, then we have a cult. The 100th monkey never came to create one though, and it's for the best.

Even with my displeasure these were fascinating ideas. I always intrigued, and even if you're nowhere a Cassandra, it'll make you think. The Titanic philosophy did touch me on a personal point, mainly because I'd be the one saying "it won't sink". It was always watchable and always strong. No one's gonna meet with the guys ideas on everything, most won't like him, but most will listen. It might've been random rambling, it might've been true studies and statistics. There's a cover up, there always has been, but we're still here. In a hundred years the atrocity of the Clinton, Bush, and Obama years will be released. Just like it was for Ulysses S. Grant and Harding. Corruption is there, oil is a problem, revolts may take place, but is it how Ruppert says it is? No.
November 30, 2012

"Learn to swim."-Tool
½ November 25, 2012
If it were a Horror movie, it would be the scariest. Because it may be very very true.
November 21, 2012
Must-See. Must-Share.
October 20, 2012
All you will hear from this film is everything that you don't want to know. But Michael Ruppert said it anyway. It's easier to not give a damn to everything that he's saying and everything that's happening anywhere. But he has shown that it might not be good idea if you aim to live and not just exist.
October 6, 2012
Great documentary look for it on Netflix streaming