Tell-Tale (Tell Tale) Reviews

• Mar 12, 2017

A Bit Convoluted & Science Fiction In Parts. It Has A Fair Bit Of Intrigue With A "Devil In Disguise" Vibe..But The Overall Pace Of Story Is Less Thriller & More Filler(bustering) Which Ultimately Becomes Boring.

• Apr 24, 2016

'Tell Tale' pays homage to one of American history's greatest horror authors, editors, and literary critics; Edgar Allan Poe. Most of us have read 'The tell-tale heart' at some point in school, and tells the tale of an unnamed narrator who slowly, and without much remorse, confesses to the murder of his employer - the man with the 'evil eye'. It was (and is) considered one of the most horrifying tales of the macabre at that point, as the speaker describes the reasons, methods, and means of murdering his master, and the madness that eventually causes him to confess. Although 'Tell Tale' is an interesting movie to watch, it is only loosely based on the original Poe story. They are completely different in every way, as this film is more of a strange, psychological ghost story. It is an interesting film nevertheless, but it bears no resemblance to Poe's famous short story. The film centers on Terry Bernard, a young father, and a man who receives a much needed heart transplant just in the nick of time. Slowly his life returns to normal, he is a man in love, and a very dutiful father... but it all begins to change rapidly when he suffers from a supernatural assault on his memory. Remembrances of a man murdered, and a life not his own. There is some really wonderful casting in this movie, especially the renowned Brian Cox, who plays a retired detective who views the whole thing so skeptically, that it's hard to understand why he would become involved until much later in the film. Josh Lucas as the lead, does a fantastic job of portraying a man who is very much being tortured, mind, body, and soul. His love interest played by Lena Heady (of Game Of Thrones fame), is a very welcome addition. Her devotion to him wavers at times due the subsequent changes in the man she loves, but she carries an immense secret throughout the movie. Overall, it's a very unique take on Poe's work, yet I would say only mildly influenced by it. It could be rather predictable at times, but it is well acted throughout. A very contemporary vision of the poem. 3/5

• Apr 03, 2016

The plot is too dumb and pushes credibility way too far to consider this a great movie, but Cuesta does some interesting things, and Cox is fun, so it's OK as a watchable piece of pulpy entertainment.

• Jul 22, 2015

Having seen the synopsis I was really intrigued. The story is something I've never came across in any other movies I've seen. It's really interesting and intense, except when it's not. The movie starts of really good, but after about 20 or so minutes it starts getting a bit boring. The idea of the movie is great, but the way the 2nd act, the middle of the film, is executed makes it look dull and boring. But, it all gets awesome in the end! The ending is really intense and I found it very satisfying. There is this great plot twist and you might guess what's gonna happen, but even when it does, you don't feel dissapointed. The characters aren't really great. There is almost no character development whatsoever from the beginning to the end of the movie. But, the acting is mostly good, and sometimes even great. The movie doesn't look particularly exceptional nor is the direction great, but it nails the tone of the story. All in all, a good thriller with a sluggish middle, but a fantastic finale, okay characters and good acting. I would recommend only if interested. If you don't like how the synopsis sounds, you won't like the movie.

• Aug 10, 2013

Hokey thriller, with phoned in performances from folks who should know better

Hokey thriller, with phoned in performances from folks who should know better

• Jul 24, 2013

Fantastic. Very gripping and extremely well acted. This is by far the best film adaptation of an edgar all poe poem i have seen. And believe me i have seen my fair share.

• Apr 24, 2013

pretty interesting one

pretty interesting one

• Sep 15, 2012

Scary gory movie about illegal organ harvesting and trafficking. The scariest scene was when Josh Lucas was lying frozen in a tub of ice water while the organ harvesting surgeon was mangling Josh's Achilles tendon with a sharp scalpel while blood gushes out and turned the tub into a sea of blood. The notion of illegal organ harvesting is really repulsive in the western world, but in some parts of Asia, it is the norm where the rich can buy organs while the poor sell time to put food on the table or buy the latest iphone model and ipad.

• Jul 02, 2012

Pretty bad. Like the plot, the movie is disoriented and confused, not knowing what to do or where to go. Lucas gives it his all, but it's not enough to save the movie.

• Jun 24, 2012

I think there was a little too much going on in this movie. I think the story of the bad heart would have been enough without complicating matters with a child with a severe genetic disorder and a love interest. This was a nice play off of Poe's work, but not quite done to my satisfaction.