The Ghost Writer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ghost Writer Reviews

½ March 11, 2015
a lesser known and probably less intense one of polanskis works in terms of the writing, but on its own this is a good thriller
January 31, 2015
Wasn't THAT riveting, but I was interested to see what would
happen and the payoff was not too bad. Just like Roman Polanski to have a movie like this.
January 20, 2015
Correcto film de suspense de Polanski, direcciòn sobria, magnifica fotografìa y banda sonora, una escena final sorprendente y unos crèditos finales inteligentes.
December 28, 2014
Nope. I am a fan of subversive thrillers but somehow this nearly murdered me with boredom. And there's something about Pierce Brosnan I find grotesquely uninteresting. He is like the British Kevin Costner. If he's going to be best known for something other than statutory rape, Roman Polanski had better keep the focus of his modern career on darker material such as The Ninth Gate, but apparently I am rather alone in this point of view. Stupid, unrefined, American me... A child of the 80's, raised on a staple of Lynch and Cronenberg with a twist of Michael Mann melodrama.
December 20, 2014
Plot/Action: 2*
Acting: 4*
Cinematography: 4*
½ December 18, 2014
A masterpiece political thriller. Everything just clicks here, especially the score that keeps you incredibly tense and engaged in the story.
½ October 26, 2014
No way as good as the book, but good Sunday pm film.
½ October 16, 2014
Whether or not you may enjoy the film's ending, there's no denying that "The Ghost Writer" is still a tense, unpredictable thriller that acts as a testament to Roman Polanski's enduring ability to craft a good movie.
½ October 12, 2014
Polanski is as interesting to watch as always, but "The Ghost Writer" is not on the same page as his usual film.
October 4, 2014
Dodgy accents from nearly everyone, clunky dialogue, the pace never quite right, the score totally inept, and a changed ending from a decent book - amongst other frustrations, in what felt like a made for TV movie.
½ September 29, 2014
Polanski's brilliance is just amazing to behold. The film's atmosphere is just magnificent. The plot has a killer twist till the end. Watch and see.
August 31, 2014
A thrilling piece of work.
August 23, 2014
With McGregor's performance and Polanski's style in directing and adapting, this is a nice, suspenseful, satisfying political thriller that's probably the best I've seen yet, even though it was sometime losing the viewers' interest and managed to get back their full attention with something surprising. (B+)

(Full review coming soon)
½ August 12, 2014
A populist ghost writer is employed to rewrite the memoirs of a former Prime Minister but when the politician is accused of war crimes, he becomes increasingly fearful for his safety. The Ghost is a very old school cold war style political thriller that is based upon a character who is purely fictional and in no way represents anyone living or dead - especially not Tony Blair, nosiree Bob. Roman Polanski has always had a knack for paranoid conspiracy thrillers and this understated yet suspenseful example follows very much in the footsteps of Hitchcock, revolving as it does around an everyman protagonist who finds himself completely out of his depth when he blunders into intrigue. Although it is set mostly in America, The Ghost has quite a European flavour with a quality cast of character actors who utter dialogue that actually sounds like the words of English people (for a change) and there's no superficial flash or irrelevant action sequences. The one major flaw is the rather glib twist at the end which makes the film feel a little insubstantial in the final analysis but a likeable performance by Ewan McGregor and some nicely judged political intrigue makes the journey there well worthwhile.
July 10, 2014
not filmed in MA at all? really? I have been looking for those places in MA for a long time, I always wanna see in person. not I just found out that the whole movie was filmed in Germany... great!
½ June 29, 2014
For the most part, good movie. I did not like the ending. You tip your hand on what you know without a larger plan for protecting yourself, then get instantly assassinated?
½ June 25, 2014
Perfect example of the creation of perfect atmosphere. Riveting.
½ June 25, 2014
A convincing thriller. Faithful to the novel that it is based on.
½ June 21, 2014
preposterous plot for a political thriller.
½ June 18, 2014
The Ghost Writer is a Polanski film, so i immediately knew it would be good. I also immediately knew that none of the scenes would be in the U.S. So, the only part of the movie i didn't care for was the unconvincing British island that doubled for Long Island. However, the acting is brilliant, the screenplay amazing, and the atmosphere very tense. The movie reveals one piece at a time until the climatic ending, and then a shocking twist that will stun you. See this movie.