The Ghost Writer Reviews

• Jun 18, 2020

It's slow and stark, but a real barn burner once it gets going. The dreary, stark ocean / beach scenes really work to build the tension. The lack of much of anything going on, few people, little background motion adds to the tension. And that final scene, wow! Killer (pun intended) No neatly tied up and unrealistic Hollywood ending. It tells us the truth, corruption has always been with us and the elites more often than not get away with their crimes. Just ask the Clintons and Obamas

• Jun 15, 2020

Unpleasant boring and with a deeply unsatisfying ending. The entire thing is by the numbers as far as I am concerned.

• May 15, 2020

It's far from perfect, but it has a tense narrative, an stylish direction and compelling performances.

• May 11, 2020

Great plot and directing by Roman Polanski

Great plot and directing by Roman Polanski

• Apr 27, 2020

The Ghost Writer fits into a couple of genres that I always enjoy. It has a mystery element, and I loved trying to puzzle through what was leading to all the danger and death that surrounded this former Prime Minister. I will say that there were times in the story where it felt like they didn’t give enough information to deduce things on our own. Often clues would be thrown out, but removed of any context they seemed fairly insignificant or meaningless. In fact, a Google search by the main character was necessary to even get him on the right track. I still wonder if there were some pieces there that I failed to recognize the first time, and this certainly is the kind of film that I would like to revisit and see just how carefully they doled out the information. The other genre that this film falls under, at least later on, is the man-on-the-run thriller. That’s another style of story that I am fascinated to watch, and I loved seeing how our hero would evade the people pursuing him. It was exciting, particularly because we were never sure who he could trust. One thing that I found a little off-putting in The Ghost Writer was the use of score. While I am not the most adept at hearing the score in most films, this one stood out, and not always for the right reasons. Alexandre Desplat certainly had some lovely music that was used in this film, but it occasionally felt like the melody wasn’t matching the tone of a scene. Often the music hit a level of intensity and drama that the story hadn’t reached yet. At times I felt nervous in the most mundane moments, merely because the score made me think something ominous was coming. But I’ll admit, it set a distinct vibe for the entire film that I did appreciate. One other thing that needs mentioning is how great the main cast was in this movie. While a few of the minor characters were strange casting choices, I loved the main three (Ewan McGregor, Pierce Brosnan, and Olivia Williams.) The Ghost Writer is an intriguing thriller and it takes a good look at the complexity of political manipulation. It might not have been an all-time favorite the first time watching it, but I feel like there’s more to explore with this movie.

• Apr 25, 2020

The Ghost Writer is a thriller done right. With no action set pieces (I'm not counting the car chase, which was mostly a shot of an speedometer hitting 80 mph), it manages to keep your heart pumping and your butt on the edge of the seat. It's a gloomy, atmospheric, slow-building mystery that rewards close viewing and a second viewing. Pierce Brosnan's performance as Tony Blair is nuanced and perfectly believable. Is he genuine or is he hiding something? I also appreciated seeing Eli Wallach in one of his final performances.

• Apr 23, 2020

Slow and mostly uneventful but enjoyable nonetheless. The premise was unique and interesting if you don't mind politics. The acting was top notch, well played Ewan McGregor. The cinematography and soundtrack were also pleasant. The ending is one of the best and worst parts about this movie. Well worth a watch if you're into mysteries or political films.

• Apr 17, 2020

This movie deserves its four stars. And it proves that one doesn't necessarily need plenty of action or buckets of gore in order to make a captivating piece of cinema. Supported by a terrific and nervous performance by Ewan McGregor, this political thriller is one of the best I've seen, it has got its very suspenseful and tense moments. The music is also pretty good, it reminds me of black and white film noirs, and it honestly made me feel like watching more of the genre. It does have a couple plot holes, but overall The Ghost Writer is a fine and intense thriller/mystery pic, and proves that director Roman Polanski still knows how to make a very good movie. Recommended!!

• Apr 09, 2020

Very underrated political drama/mystery that I don't think gets enough acclaim. This movie knows how to set a suspenseful mood that forces you to watch until its story is told in its entirety. This movie has one of best endings I've seen as far as political thrillers go. Don't sleep on this one.

• Feb 23, 2020

Combining Polanski's polished suspense and political intrigue tailored to the modern age, McGregor puts together a strong performance that inspires a sense of relatability and fear at the potential power wielded by forces beyond our control.