Watercolors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Watercolors Reviews

½ March 7, 2014
This is a great film .I know it reflects my life and how memories affect every relationship I ha
ve had since my first love. Indeed, the first love colors the rest of your life. It is something I would not give up for anything, but it is baggage.
January 4, 2014
...hmm the first love...
½ August 13, 2013
It has a romantic storyline going on and I really like this movie. It could have had more romantic scenes though. Great acting!
½ June 4, 2013
A little slow but a film worth watching.
½ April 14, 2013
Watercolors is emotional and a nice coming-of-age film, but its storytelling is too messy and some dialogue is truly disappointing.
½ October 16, 2012
modest movie about 2 gays meeting
½ July 23, 2012
Tye Olson as the gay teen Danny is outstanding in this coming of age story with a very tearful outcome that left me in years.
April 5, 2012
Tye Olson is a great lead but this story is mediocre at best. Enough to hold your interest but not enough to satisfy. For something along these lines try the movie, Local Color, instead.
½ October 2, 2011
A surprisingly good depiction of what it's like to be a gay teen, feel like a misfit at school, and letting go of the past. When swimmer and fellow schoolmate Carter spends the weekend at his house, Danny finds himself falling in love with the stud. "Don't!" warns Carter. It's goingto turn out tragically but it's more of homophobia and a disability. The boys being gay is added stress on their relationship. Carter wants to be a champion swimmer and Danny is trying to find his artistry in painting. The movie captures the dilemma of high school teens who are trying to map out a career but, at the same time, fit into society.

Tye Olson is perfectly cast as Danny and Kyle Clare fits the role of the stud. However, both actors are newcomers but perform their best. Karen Black is very good as Mrs. Martin, the art teacher and Ellie Araiza plays the fag hag with sass. The movie gets too melodramatic as it progresses towards the end, but it had me sitting up and paying rapt attention.
½ May 15, 2011
Unnecessary prolepsis gives us an insight into an adult Danny but the action ends on a note of annoyance rather than romanticism - encapsulating the film as a whole.
½ February 20, 2011
Yup right, this one reminds me UK's < Get Real >. Despite of its cliche, pretentious & amateurish in directing, production & acting, it is still one decent piece out of the same genre.
January 17, 2011
Great movie about coming to terms with your sexuality and the consequences.
January 6, 2011
The movie idea was good but the overall product was a fail.
The dialouge could have been a lot better and most of the acting was alright. Overall I quite enjoyed it, i cried and laughed which is what I like in a movie. It could have been done a lot better but it could have also been done a lot worse.
½ November 14, 2010
Contemporary plot sucked, but 95% of the movie which dealt with the main character's teen years was so beautifully acted and directed that it was sensational viewing for me. Tye Olson was so achingly believable as a gay teen. His being an out actor gave a realism to his character rarely seen in gay movies.
October 21, 2010
Great acting, wonderful plot, realistic, timely, a bit sad.
½ October 6, 2010
Lovly movie very sad powerful movie but still very lovly .. With out giving it away to much it is about love first love and also how hard they can be. Also about being able to let go.. If you don't want to see a sad movie tho I would not rent or buy this one first.. I would so watch this again tho..
September 15, 2010
SarahTheMovieLover
½ February 2, 2010
READ THIS FIRST: IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED AT THE END OF THE MOVIE DO NOT READ ANY SUMMARIES/DESCRIPTIONS/SYNOPSISES OF THIS MOVIE BEFORE WATCHING IT!

I originally was going to give this 3 stars but due to the fact that the ending actually shocked me and I didnt see it coming I gave it a higher rating. Honestly, they did a great job of creating this illusion in my mind as to what the ending would be, and then they pulled the rug out from under me. I was quite shocked. It made perfect sense though.

The movie was sweet, nothing particularly original but still beautiful. There were some scenes that were quite artistic. I'm not refering to the fact that the main character is an artist. No, there was this one scene for instance where the two leads are inside and suddenly it's raining buckets, inside...they get covered in water and rain droplets and so does everything around them. However, the candles stay lit and in reality they are inside and there is no rain at all. I can't really say I understand the purpose of that, but it was quite beautiful nonetheless.

At the start I thought I loved Tye Olsen's acting and his role but towards the end it lost its touch for me. He still is a sweetheart though.

In conclusion, it met my expectations and in a way surpassed them by surprising me with the ending. However you will not be surprised if you read the summary of the movie first because it ruins the surprise.

What did this movie teach me? Sometimes it's good to go into a movie without reading the description, it makes things more unexpected.
January 14, 2010
It may feel like a made-for-tv movie, but this romantic drama about a young high school artist who falls in love with a troubled, closeted jock is a sweet, entertaining little film despite its technical and structural shortcomings.
December 18, 2009
Not a bad movie. Too bad the actors weren't better, the script wasn't bad