Winter's Bone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winter's Bone Reviews

September 8, 2015
Didn't he shoot your daddy one time?

Ree is the oldest child of a broke family in the country that has a drug dealing father they rely on to survive. He turns up missing leaving Ree with all of the children to take care of. Ree does her best to take care of the kids while hunting down her missing father.

"Your daddy left you to deal with that?"

Debra Granick, director of Down to the Bone and Stray Dog, delivers Winter's Bone in her second major motion picture offering. The storyline for this picture is interesting in a Season 1 True Detective kind of way with worse acting and an almost as interesting setting. The cast delivers uneven performances and includes Jennifer Lawrence, Shelley Waggener, Garrett Dillahunt, and Lauren Sweetser.

"I'm the one who put the hurt on that girl."

I randomly came across this on cable and decided to DVR it. This was an interesting character for Lawrence and I liked it for the most part. The story plays out in a predictable fashion with a couple well done twists. This is entertaining and worth viewing once.

"We'll take you to your daddy's bones."

Grade: C+
½ September 4, 2015
A sparse but intense picture, Winter's Bone could easily have fallen through if not for the gorgeous scenery and the captivating performances from then-newcomer Lawrence and John Hawkes.
½ September 2, 2015
Whilst emotionally engaging, it is also rather bleak and harrowing.
August 29, 2015
This is not gripping and you do not feel for any of the characters.
August 5, 2015
Set in the back road nooks of the Ozarks, I can say that having lived in for ten years in the very similar culture of the southern Appalachians, this film was all too real, accurate, and familiar. It's obvious that Ms. Granik knew her setting and subject matter thoroughly, as she paints an otherwise beautiful landscape as depressing, gray, and nearly hopeless, and this is before adding the individual situation of the spectacular tour de force by Jennifer Lawrence, and her character Ree and family. Their lives are bleak, and Ree is under the most intense kind of desperation, but manages to convincingly organic perseverance. The stellar John Hawkes is, as typical, a master of his craft, and the scenes with him and Lawrence are especially explosive, yet understated., as are the scenes with Lawrence and Dale Dickey, minus the understated . I cannot recommend this move enough, as everyone should be aware of the plight of the people who reside in this nearly third-world existence, right in our own backyard, and any fine acting enthusiast would be amiss to skip this textbook course of it, along with masterful writing and directing. Don't miss it.
½ August 2, 2015
Featuring a brilliant performance by Jennifer Lawrence, Winter's Bone is an outstanding, intriguing, and sometimes thrilling drama just like the novel it's based on!
½ July 29, 2015
This movie is saved by Jennifer Lawrence's acting and very few suspenseful scenes. Besides that, it a very boring movie. Its sucks because I really had high hopes for this one. I don't get the acclaim it gets.
July 4, 2015
Uma jovem garota com sua irmã mais nova e sua mãe maluca descobre que seu genitor deu sua casa como garantia de sua fiança e se ele não comparecer ao fórum ambas ficarão sem ter onde morar... durante sua procura pelo pai acaba descobrindo que o mesmo está morto, só que ela vai apanhar muito pra descobrir onde está seu corpo para não perder a casa onde mora...
½ June 16, 2015
One hell of a film. Winter's Bone gives an insight into a closed community and shows Jennifer Lawrence at her best. This performance is one of the cornerstones why you have to fall in love with her performances. Together with John Hawkes she carries the story on her shoulders, running around in this hostile community, trying to find her father to save all of her family. It's devastating to see this young girl struggle.
½ June 1, 2015
One of the most vivid depictions of poverty and squalor I've come across, and a textured look at the culture and mores that come about in such a place. Jennifer Lawrence plays a unique protagonist suited to this kind of story, someone who struggles simply to survive, driven by desperation and boldness.
DrStrangeblog
May 29, 2015
Somber story that takes place during the cold autumn of the Ozarks as 16-year-old Jennifer Lawrence searches for her missing miscreant father in order to save her home from repossession. She's in almost every scene and thus the film rests solely on her young shoulders, and she has the determination to pull off a positive result for this modest low-key drama.
May 19, 2015
A cold and bleak mystery thriller that is carried by great acting performances. The one that propelled Jennifer Lawrence to stardom.
May 7, 2015
Director Debra Granik paints a grim portrait of the generational hierarchies and unspoken codes of Christian and Tanner Counties in this marginalized backwoods layer of rural Missouri. Winter's Bone is a quiet and powerful film that knows full well it is a guest of real-time, real-place supporting cast members - who double as gracious hosts.

Stir in the brilliant John Hawkes, emerging super-star Jennifer Lawrence, an Ozark Mountain mystery, a banjo, a few great dogs and we have a minor masterpiece.
May 5, 2015
Jennifer Lawrence's debut movie. I had high hopes for it, considering the rating but it was a bit of a disappointment. The story is about a teenager left behind by with her younger sister, brother and sick mom by her meth-cooking dad who skipped bail and disappears after giving the property on bond. Now she try's to track him so that she can present him in front of court and not lose the house. Goes to all the distant families of her to get any information about him.All of them are in some sort of illegal work and are some dangerous people. This film was not exciting, intriguing or moving. It was just plain storytelling.
½ April 18, 2015
The only thing I can say about this movie is that the acting was fairly good. Other than that the movie was dull, pointless and completely miserable to watch. Literally the definition of a grey and lifeless movie.
March 31, 2015
One of the best films in year. In ANY genre.

Period.
March 21, 2015
An objective study of poverty in modern rural America set against the corrosive influence of narcotics. Lawrence plays a minor attempting to find her missing father and stave off eviction from the family home. She crosses some pretty unsalubrious characters in her search as well as a veil of secrecy. Lawrence shines in this role and it obviously did her career no harm at all. When she finally drifts out of the limelight she could do worse then return to low budget indie movies such as this.
½ March 12, 2015
Slow, I mean REAL slow at times, Winter's Bone is an ADD child's nightmare. If you can't hear certain bit's of dialogue, then it's ALL down hill for you the viewer, because dialogue is VERY important in this film, even though it's a little hard to understand at times. And then it becomes slow. REAL slow. Other than that, great writing, AMAZING acting, rock solid moments of tension and a pretty satisfying, if not hopeful, ending.
March 12, 2015
Love love love love it!
March 9, 2015
At first the reason why I saw this movie was because of Jennifer Lawrence, who became my favorite actress right after I watched The Hunger Games. So I just rent it on iTunes, and watched it. Then I was totally, totally shocked. It was one of the best independent movies I've ever seen(I am a huge fan of independent movies). The whole story, the way Jennifer acted, they were just perfectly match. The movie tells a girl struggles to live and also support her family under a horrible situation, while her father, who was a drug maker, died in some bad guys hands. Although he was a man of low moral, he was a good father. Ree loves him and her family deeply, and she is willing to do all she can to make their life better. The scene that she went to the factory looking for the old man bravely, for which she got beat up later and the one that she took the boat, taking her hand in the cold water to get her father's bones almost made me cry(I struggled to hold it) gladly she got the money to keep the land at last, and life seemed to give hope to her again. She was so tough, which made me believe she would have a hard but bright future. It taught me that whenever we are in bad situations, don't lose hope and struggle to find the silver lining.