Winter's Bone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Winter's Bone Reviews

½ June 16, 2015
One hell of a film. Winter's Bone gives an insight into a closed community and shows Jennifer Lawrence at her best. This performance is one of the cornerstones why you have to fall in love with her performances. Together with John Hawkes she carries the story on her shoulders, running around in this hostile community, trying to find her father to save all of her family. It's devastating to see this young girl struggle.
½ June 1, 2015
One of the most vivid depictions of poverty and squalor I've come across, and a textured look at the culture and mores that come about in such a place. Jennifer Lawrence plays a unique protagonist suited to this kind of story, someone who struggles simply to survive, driven by desperation and boldness.
DrStrangeblog
May 29, 2015
Somber story that takes place during the cold autumn of the Ozarks as 16-year-old Jennifer Lawrence searches for her missing miscreant father in order to save her home from repossession. She's in almost every scene and thus the film rests solely on her young shoulders, and she has the determination to pull off a positive result for this modest low-key drama.
May 19, 2015
A cold and bleak mystery thriller that is carried by great acting performances. The one that propelled Jennifer Lawrence to stardom.
May 7, 2015
Director Debra Granik paints a grim portrait of the generational hierarchies and unspoken codes of Christian and Tanner Counties in this marginalized backwoods layer of rural Missouri. Winter's Bone is a quiet and powerful film that knows full well it is a guest of real-time, real-place supporting cast members - who double as gracious hosts.

Stir in the brilliant John Hawkes, emerging super-star Jennifer Lawrence, an Ozark Mountain mystery, a banjo, a few great dogs and we have a minor masterpiece.
May 5, 2015
Jennifer Lawrence's debut movie. I had high hopes for it, considering the rating but it was a bit of a disappointment. The story is about a teenager left behind by with her younger sister, brother and sick mom by her meth-cooking dad who skipped bail and disappears after giving the property on bond. Now she try's to track him so that she can present him in front of court and not lose the house. Goes to all the distant families of her to get any information about him.All of them are in some sort of illegal work and are some dangerous people. This film was not exciting, intriguing or moving. It was just plain storytelling.
½ April 18, 2015
The only thing I can say about this movie is that the acting was fairly good. Other than that the movie was dull, pointless and completely miserable to watch. Literally the definition of a grey and lifeless movie.
March 31, 2015
One of the best films in year. In ANY genre.

Period.
March 21, 2015
An objective study of poverty in modern rural America set against the corrosive influence of narcotics. Lawrence plays a minor attempting to find her missing father and stave off eviction from the family home. She crosses some pretty unsalubrious characters in her search as well as a veil of secrecy. Lawrence shines in this role and it obviously did her career no harm at all. When she finally drifts out of the limelight she could do worse then return to low budget indie movies such as this.
½ March 12, 2015
Slow, I mean REAL slow at times, Winter's Bone is an ADD child's nightmare. If you can't hear certain bit's of dialogue, then it's ALL down hill for you the viewer, because dialogue is VERY important in this film, even though it's a little hard to understand at times. And then it becomes slow. REAL slow. Other than that, great writing, AMAZING acting, rock solid moments of tension and a pretty satisfying, if not hopeful, ending.
March 12, 2015
Love love love love it!
March 9, 2015
At first the reason why I saw this movie was because of Jennifer Lawrence, who became my favorite actress right after I watched The Hunger Games. So I just rent it on iTunes, and watched it. Then I was totally, totally shocked. It was one of the best independent movies I've ever seen(I am a huge fan of independent movies). The whole story, the way Jennifer acted, they were just perfectly match. The movie tells a girl struggles to live and also support her family under a horrible situation, while her father, who was a drug maker, died in some bad guys hands. Although he was a man of low moral, he was a good father. Ree loves him and her family deeply, and she is willing to do all she can to make their life better. The scene that she went to the factory looking for the old man bravely, for which she got beat up later and the one that she took the boat, taking her hand in the cold water to get her father's bones almost made me cry(I struggled to hold it) gladly she got the money to keep the land at last, and life seemed to give hope to her again. She was so tough, which made me believe she would have a hard but bright future. It taught me that whenever we are in bad situations, don't lose hope and struggle to find the silver lining.
½ March 8, 2015
Much scarier than Deliverance.
½ March 7, 2015
Despite a very bleak and dark narrative, this film manages to pack a punch thanks to the starmaking debut of Jennifer Lawrence as Ree.
March 1, 2015
I had heard a lot about Jennifer Lawrence's performance in this film and it is outstanding. There are other great performances as well, it's painfully and sparsely written and beautifully shot. It strikes a balance between being both brutal and hopeful that mostly worked: I did find it very bleak at times, perhaps too much so, but it's certainly a stellar film.
February 25, 2015
Gritty but great movie.
½ February 22, 2015
a great independent movie
½ February 18, 2015
Jennifer Lawrence gave a spectacular performance in this movie. The plot of this movie was also quite remarkable.
January 29, 2015
Even without Jennifer Lawrence's stunning performance, Winter's Bone is a chilling, slow-burning tale of family desperation. Full review later.
½ January 25, 2015
Really enjoyable independent film, with a tremendous breakthrough performance for Jennifer Lawrence.