The Kids Are All Right - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Kids Are All Right Reviews

½ January 20, 2016
A nice film with awesome performances and a great story.
January 16, 2016
Bittingly honest and unfailingly heartfelt; The Kids Are All Right is a heartwarming and touching film, boosting an insightful narrative, an excellent well-rounded cast an an effortless mix of humor and humane genuineness.
December 17, 2015
I give it 5 stars mainly because the script was incredible and it really is a great film
December 15, 2015
You would think movie with such a clear intent of legitimizing a lesbian relationship wouldn't do everything possible to demean it? Wtf
½ December 3, 2015
I don't know why this film is labeled a comedy since it has nothing to laugh about. In fact, it is a pathetic little drama that wants to make you feel liberal accepting a family of lesbians, but the characters are poorly developed, the conflicts are artificial and clichéd, and the story lacks dramatic drive.
November 16, 2015
I personally hated Annette Bening's character, and the conclusion of Mark Ruffalo's character's fate was not satisfying. But, this film was memorable, funny, and well-acted. This is no movie of the year, but I was pleased as an audience when I was watching this.
November 5, 2015
A very well written and a very well acted drama that I had to watch for a college class.
½ November 1, 2015
An open-minding movie about a reality not so told that busts some myths as well as bringing you closer to the argument.
The acting is good, with a remarcable performance from Ruffalo.
½ October 27, 2015
Smart, genuine, and often heartbreaking, The Kids Are All Right is a heartwarming dramedy about family and marriage anchored by excellent performances. It sticks with you.
October 7, 2015
A lot more energetic and light-hearted than its marketing and reputation would indicate. The Oscar nominations alone made me think this would be some serious-issues awards-bait slog when it's actually quite fun when it wants to be, and also dramatically compelling as well. That one aspect that people complain about that I thought would be horrible was actually set up in advance in a way that it made sense for the characters in context. So, I ended up enjoying myself quite a bit.
October 2, 2015
Starts off nicely with the story of the kid looking for his "natural father" but then strolls down misery lane with a bunch of clichè, annoying characters and a trivial ending.
½ September 23, 2015
I fucking love Julian Moore in everything she does!! Mark Ruffalo was also fucking gorgeous and unfffff in this movie. I found the script to be very genuine and awkward. A beautiful story of family. Really really enjoyed.
½ September 17, 2015
Flera skådespelare jag brukar gilla, men nej, detta var inget för mig
½ September 8, 2015
One of the most beautiful and realistic portraits of family hardship ever put to film. It nails the real life feel and then some, and it features 5 astounding and gorgeously complex performances.
August 30, 2015
"All the structure family is about to ruin with Paul. He's a cool guy and is doing "his" role quite well being present and giving confidence to both Laser and Joni. In any moment they wonder what all that means, except for Nic. They only see themselves as a (close) family again when Paul fucks up. And when that happens, all the fault is put over him. Joni says she just wished that he could've been better. Wouldn't it be more sensate and logical to expect that Jules, her mother, could've been better and not him? Jules has all excuses (marriage is hard, she didn't feel appreciate) and in the end is nothing but the common "it's all men's fault" (easy sex, immaturity, the family destroyer). "- Rubia Carolina (The only reviewer who didnt have their nose up the directors ass) Sorry but Lesbian women dont repeatedly have sex over and over with a guy. Bi women do. Paul's should have been better the daughter says. Lmfao!
August 10, 2015
Performances of Julianne Moore and Annette Bening who act as gay couple are great especially the way they tell how they met is heartwarming.
Nick played by Annette Bening is manly while Jules played by Julianne Moore is feminine. There conversation does not differ from straight couples.
Nick is keen to protect their family and uneasy about appearance of Paul played by Mark Raffalo who is a biological father of their kids. She fears their family may be taken over by Paul.
Unfortunately, Nick's fear was right and Jules had affair with Paul. Their family was confused as it came to light. The family overcame the challenge and Paul was alienated as `just-a-sperm donor' and `just an intruder into the family'.
It is quite natural that the kids were interested in their biological father but I feel their decisive treatment for Paul might be too much. Comparing cost and labor to bring up their kids to cost of sperm donation of 60 - 90 dollars, however, it's reasonable that value of a biological father is almost nothing.
August 6, 2015
The movie have a few good moments but it might be first time ever I seen a movie about a gay couple where I wish they just fkn straight up. (Pun intended) Only character I can sympathise any with is the bio-dad. He just had the bad luck of falling in love with some he really should not but I find It hard to blame HIM for that. The story is wrapped up so badly with its simplistic blame and "family value" morals I regret having watched it.
August 2, 2015
Amusing and funny, The Kids Are All Right is a remarkable dramedy, brilliantly connecting the strong drama with delightful laughs to create a memorable adventure about family
July 16, 2015
A very seemingly realistic gay couple and their trials and tribulations of their marriage while raising teenagers. Topics that many married couples can relate to are discussed. Funny, Well acted and smartly done with a great script. I kept forgetting the two actresses aren't gay bc it was so believable. One of the first films I've seen were a gay couple seemed to be portrayed accurately. The film isn't very deep or has too much going on plot wise, but because of that and how the details of film are executed it was enjoyable to watch.
½ July 7, 2015
The Kids Are All Right is a family drama with an interesting plot. The film follows a lesbian parented family that is a well functioned group of people all together. Their lives are however turned around when Laser wants to meet the sperm donor that made him who he is. The plot of this movie really caught my interest because of its originality and spin on the "family drama". There's very few films I can think of that I can mostly compare it's themes to which gets all the more appreciation from me. I thought that the whole meeting their dad storyline was really sweet and yet kinda heartbreaking. I really wanted this family to sort of welcome him in their family which I guess is kind of hard given the ending of the film. Before I get into that fully, I'll say that the best parts about this film is the performances and the script. I think this is a really well written script whether it's through dialogue or plot. The dialogue was good enough to bring depth to most of the characters and give a good background to all of them. Everyone in this film gives a great performance especially Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, and Mark Ruffalo. I think everyone put forth a ton of effort and really paid off because I was invested in their characters and wanted to know more about them after the movie. While I thought the ending was kind of sweet I have kind of a big issue with how the Kids Are All Right completely ended. While the ending of the film portrayed a valuable lesson about sticking together with family, the story with Paul never gets tied together. Sure maybe he doesn't deserve such a happy ending because he kind of tore the family apart for a short time, but I mean I felt like when he was introduced to the story he was kind of a misunderstood guy who just wanted to start a family. I can understand why he would not be welcome into the family but the story kinda ditches him and in my opinion doesn't give him a proper ending. My kind of small issue also is that I think the writers made Nick kind of unlikable for too long and I found it hard to find a reason to like or understand her character. Her character as well as others developed though and I guess that helped the story progress more. While I didn't think the story wrapped up completely correct in my opinion, The Kids Are All Right is a sweet and kind of scary look on what can happen to a family but in the end family won and everyone learned a great lesson and I thought it was a good one to know. B-