Lucky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lucky Reviews

June 8, 2014
The fascinating thing is not that these people won the lottery, but what happens to them after that.
December 23, 2013
An interesting look at lottery winners and what happens to them afterwards. The problem is that nothing seems terribly surprising. A lot spend money on crap that they don't need. Others fall out with wives, friends and family over the winnings. Perhaps we didn't need the documentary to tell us that.
½ November 25, 2011
can i have some? felt happy watching this, but also bitter, and might have been nice to cover some winners who weren't trashy?
November 3, 2011
In my opinion, The title of this documentary should've been called "Blessed" I know luck is a HUGE part of winning but I think when you win you are blessed.Great documentary on the up's & down's of people who won the lotto & 1 lady who plays daily hoping to win.This a documentary you should definitely check out
August 16, 2011
and I say that with the kindest words I can find for this documentary. Aside from throwing a few statistics at us at the beginning, it's basically a few interviews with some people who have won the lottery, ranging from a few million to a hundred million + and it seems, with an emphasis on how the lives of these people don't change. Don't recommend it
½ July 27, 2011
This documentary is not about 'god' or how 'Lucky' these select few are. It is however, a documentary which displays the transformations that people go through.

From the beginning we are introduced to five very dynamic characters who all come from different walks of lives. A Vietnamese Immigrant who works day in and day out to provide for his children, A traditional conservative American family who value no change, A unwell retired man, A huffy looking middle aged man, and of course the average American citizen who lives power ball.

'Lucky' than takes us through the lives of each and every one of these people. Showing us what values and beliefs each person who won had. Some wanted little change, a lot, to win, and to even give it all back and wish for it to never have happened.

We are than fast forwarded a year. We witness how people change through money. And we are left comparing each and every one of these peoples lives. Wondering which category we would fit in. 'Lucky' shows us all the possible roads we may take if winning the lottery or not winning at all. The values and beliefs we may take upon. Whether that be family, greed, self worth, and maybe not changing at all.
½ July 17, 2011
It's a pretty interesting docementary, and to see what happens after a middle-class family wins 314 million.
July 16, 2011
Very good documentary that showcases real lottery winners and how their lives changed for the better (or worst) after becoming overnight millionaires! The odds are staggering but eventually a lucky soul wins the prize! Enlightening, informative and definitely recommended! Yes money can change your life in the most remarkable ways if you know how to invest it and spend it wisely..Recommended!!
½ May 27, 2011
May 7, 2011
A pretty good watch overall I'll say. It was interesting to see how different people handled their winnings. Some didn't handle it so well, some did. But it I think after watching this it is safe to say that money does change folks.
May 5, 2011
Presents all sides of the lottery rather than the stupid TV specials that only focus on the curse. The movie theorizes that people are the same with or without money, and if you are a good person who wins the lottery you can flourish, if you are a bad person the money will only bring you pain and hardship. The film not only focuses on winners, but some near winners, pranks, and those who dream to make it big who would have their own jackpot in a savings account somewhere had they just put all their money in there instead of investing in tickets every day.
May 3, 2011
I don't play the lottery and I doubt that I will after watching this even though they show it in a good light. I would have wanted to see some more horror stories.
½ April 24, 2011
Funny, interesting documentary about people who've won the lottery and how it has changed their lives for the better or worse...
November 13, 2010
Kept me interesting...what a dream...
October 2, 2010
From director of "Spellbound", comes another great documentary that is engaging and fascinating to watch. It's interesting to see how winning the lottery has affected some of it's biggest winners, and even more stunning is how much people will spend playing the lottery on an annual basis even when the chances of winning are literally one to a hundred million plus. But at the same time, it's one of those things that everyone can relate to - the dream of winning the lottery and being set for life, which is why this documentary has such relevance to us all.
September 7, 2010
A fascinating look into the lives of some of the biggest lottery winners, and how their lives changed, some for better and some for worse. It'll make you think twice about how such a vast amount of money cold affect you.
½ August 19, 2010
Interesting documentary. Had good and bad stories of lotto winners and neat lotto facts throughout.
August 3, 2010
Some irritating winners, some sad winners but the best, most inspiring story was that of the Vietnamese family. The winners used their money to take care of their entire family, including those back home in Vietnam, which is as it should be.
August 2, 2010
Lucky is yet another awesome film from Jeffery Blitz, and this time the (often-)documentarian takes a look at the American lottery system and a few of its winners and its losers. Blitz has such a knack for finding and truly capturing the story, while forsaking personal bias as much as possible in the interest of maintaining the balance and complexity of the greater narrative. Lucky is peppered with fun and bizarre facts and statistics about the history of the lottery, while juxtaposing several American rags-to-riches and riches-to-rags stories. This is a fantastic documentary, just about as good as I could hope to ever see on the subject.
½ July 30, 2010
I pretty much only saw this because Eef Barzelay did some scoring. I wasn't really disappointed (but then again I had no real expectation at all). Ultimately the stories of the winners were pretty interesting, and while they are often what you'd imagine (both on the postive changes and negative ones) there were a few things I never thought about. Most notably not the changes that happen to the winners but the friends and family of the non-winners, and how relationships crumble because the friends can't look the same way at the winners afterwards because it feels like common ground has been completely removed. Anyways, Eef did a good job, and the doc was good, though the subject matter wasn't 100% up my alley.