Double Take - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Double Take Reviews

November 19, 2013
A mixture of statements about the Red Scare of the 50s spilling into the early 60s, the distraction of consumerism and the rise of television beginning to cannibalize cinema. All of which are topped by a quiet encounter between the Hitchcock of 1962 and an interesting companion as they calmly talk over coffee and tea. An enjoyable piece for any admirer of the man's work.
February 17, 2013
The juxtaposition of images of the cold war with images of Alfred Hitchcock. A confused composition makes this film look particularly goofy in drawing up its conclusion. Furthermore, it feels inadequately self-important. Nevertheless, the initial concept is quite intriguing although the project and its ambition never feels fully realised.
June 4, 2012
An art house film of the highest order. The movie brilliantly alternates Hitchcock with footage from the cold war to show how fear and paranoia drove the arms race.
April 10, 2012
Hitchcock in the context of the Cold War--of course! And capitalist fearmongering and warmongering, and television. But rather too enigmatic when it should have been provocative.
January 15, 2012
This cut and paste mockumentary about Alfred Hitchcock and Cold War zietgiest might be a bit too pretentious and silly for some, but film snobs like me might be amused to see Hitchcockian mischief fill the screen once again
December 25, 2011
A clever if impossibly-ambitious concept, using many 1960s clips to illustrate some rather odd coincidences between the life of Alfred Hitchcock, one of his London lookalikes, his films and the Cold War. As a bunch of assorted disparate clips, it's never really boring, but as a whole, it doesn't really work. Mildly educational and fairly watchable.
½ December 24, 2011
The films greatest success is in its merging of the physchedelic, dream-like story in which Hitchcock meets himself as an older man, set against a backdrop of Cold War tension. It has an unusual and vaguely unique tone yet the visuals often become repetitive and the voice acting is not always brilliant. The voice of Hitchcock telling this dreamlike story, whilst an adequate impression, never completely nails the directors inimitable drawl. Certainly worth a look for Hitchcock fans.
½ November 5, 2011
another masterpiece from grimonprez
August 29, 2011
'They say if you meet your double, you should kill him, or that he will kill you......I can't remember which, but, the jist of it is, two of you is one too many.....by the end of the script, one of you must die........' Alfred hitchcock is confronted by his future self whilst filming 'The Birds', absurd, challenging, very dark........
August 18, 2011
An 'art' film in every sense of the word. I was never bored but I can't really say that I totally followed it. The mixture of fictional story (1980 Hitchcock meeting his 1962 doppelganger) and historical cold war documentary along with a Hitchcock lookalikes reminiscences makes for an interesting feature but a bewildering one. Like any experimental piece of work you can always find connections if there are enough strands and if you look hard enough but they may not always be what the film-maker intended. That being the case I can't say I understand the film but as a Hitchcock fan I enjoyed the old footage, the clever use of editing and the great soudtracks of Bernard Herrmann.
July 9, 2011
If only I could make a decent cup of coffee...

A Hitchcock time paradox as a parable for cold war anxiety/consumerism? Go for it.
½ June 18, 2011
Not really even a film, it's basically just a very pretentious art installation. If you'd wandered in at a gallery and watched 5 or 10 minutes you'd probably enjoy it, but as a feature length piece it's incredibly grating. Basically it amounts to cut together footage of Hitchcock, the Cold War and Coffee Adverts with little in the way of directorial talent. The only reason there is any enjoyment for the viewer is because of the original brilliance of the Hitchcock source material. Other than that you're left sat there thinking only one thing, I never want to see a Youssef Britel film again.
May 18, 2011
I didn't get it. I'm not sure what it wanted to be. There were too many seemingly unconnected aspects to be enjoyable.
May 17, 2011
Hitchcock, Kennedy, Kruschev, Folgers Coffee, The Supremes, and the Space Race. Absolutely brilliant.
April 18, 2011
Interesting, intelligent, though I can't say I learned anything I didn't already know. This was more like an art piece than a documentary. A tribute to a master of zeitgeist by someone fascinated with the cold war period and propaganda in the media.
½ February 12, 2011
Objet Cin√ (C)matographique Non Identifi√ (C), Double Take risque toutefois, pass√ (C) un temps d'observation o√Ļ le spectateur se demande, amus√ (C) et h√ (C)berlu√ (C), ce qu'il est en train de regarder, de ne contenter r√ (C)ellement aucune des deux parties auxquelles il para√ (R)t s'adresser de prime abord : les amateurs d'Hitch et les accros aux archives de la Guerre Froide. Qu'ont en commun ces deux th√®mes qui, en se m√™lant, semblent cr√ (C)er une sorte de thriller politique ? C'est bien justement la question que l'on se pose durant l'int√ (C)gralit√ (C) de ce film exp√ (C)rimental √ (C)trange.

Pourtant, les digressions hitchcockiennes sont plaisantes à suivre, tout comme les extraits de Alfred Hitchcock Prà (C)sente ou la blague rà (C)currente de la pub pour l'obscur cafà (C) Folgers. De la même manière, le recul sur cette pà (C)riode de la Guerre Froide met en lumière son ridicule, sa superficialità (C) et son insignifiance. Mais le public d'un tel film inclassable, plus proche d'une installation que du monde du cinà (C)ma, semble extrêmement restreint, puisqu'il n'à (C)claire finalement pas plus la carrière de Sir Alfred que cette pà (C)riode troublà (C)e de notre histoire rà (C)cente...
January 17, 2011
Loved it when I was lucky enough to see it in an actual theater as part of the San Francisco Independent Film Fest and love finally being able to own the dvd. This is must see for any Hitchock fan as far as I'm concerned and I feel it gets better on repeat viewings.
January 17, 2011
"Good Evening..if indeed it is evening." Which is an intoduction from Hitchcock in a second hand book of thrillers I once bought. This movie is indeed made of second hand clips. With two stories. A Hitchcockian Double reflecting on Hitchcock. And Hitchcock interspersed into archive Cold War News real footage, the rise of TV, and the death of real news. War and fear as a media creation. Political Actors as actors not individuals. A strange artsy film that in the end made me see more than was originally there. Is that not good art?
January 3, 2011
I wanted to love this, but it was a little too experimental for me to get lost in. Still, a very interesting idea and I loved seeing all the old footage of Hitchcock, his doppelganger, and the crazy old commercials for Folgers coffee mixed in (??).
December 24, 2010
It gets off to an uneasy start, trying to interweave conventions of the archival documentary with post-modern pontificating. But eventually does coalesce into a very engrossing experimental work, though some elements are more compelling than others. Flawed, but fascinating.