Stonewall Uprising Reviews

• Jul 04, 2019

A very good primer for people like me who have heard of Stonewall but don't know much what happened. That is all it is, though: a primer. At 82 minutes it doesn't delve too deeply into the times or what life was really like back then for LGBTQ people. At some points it is powerful and poignant, though, and those points make this movie very much worth the time.

• Jun 15, 2013

A powerful and inspiring look at an often overlooked civil rights milestone.

A powerful and inspiring look at an often overlooked civil rights milestone.

• Jul 04, 2012

Another brilliant documentary about the uprising at the Stonewall Inn in New York that took place in 1969

• May 24, 2012

wow...an amazing movie

wow...an amazing movie

• May 13, 2012

The film does a sturdy job of placing the clash in historical context. Interesting about something not publicized very much.

• May 04, 2012

A good, solid documentary about the Stonewall Uprising and the beginnings of the gay rights movement.

• Apr 18, 2012

Would get five stars but the "before Stonewall" was too broad. They should have kept focus on the Stonewall Inn and maybe gay bars and how they were raided and harassed on a constant basis. Overall a great documentary with great commentary.

• Jan 07, 2012

• Jun 25, 2011

I think one of the film critics said it the best regarding this documentary: "On the one hand, Stonewall Uprising shows how far we've come toward enlightenment and tolerance since that hot June night of 1969. On the other, it reminds us that there are still many minds to change and rights to win.: David Wiegand of the SF Chronicle. Well said Mr. Wiegand! Terrific documentary, so informative and enlightening...Frankly the 50's, 60's and 70's were horrible years for the homosexual community! OMG they were treated like criminals, like they were metally ill, a disease....Until the passing of the Sexual Offences Bill in 1967, male homosexual activity was illegal. Gay men were frequently imprisoned for consensual sex with other men. Lesbianism was not illegal, but was similarly subject to public disapproval, or ignored. This PBS documentary offers eyewitness interviews, archives footage and pictures of what it meant to be gay or lesbian during the 60's and 70's. It covers the pivotal moment in time when the GLBT community got sick and tired of being mistreated, humilliated, deprived of rights and when the NYC police tried to raid the Stonewall Inn (a well known gay bar) the community fought back with a vengeance! Just like Ms Rosa Park refused to give up her seat to a white man in the bus, the gay community refused to be intimidated, and to be treated wrongly/unfairly. This is part of our history, of American history and many have shed blood, sweat and tears for that Rainbow Flag (designed by Gilbert Baker, representing the six colors of the rainbow as a symbol of gay and lesbian community pride). I think it should be respected just like our American Flag. This documentary must be watched by younger gays (15-25) so they understand what a struggle it was to be gay/lesbian back then. They need to be thankful for that generation of gay activists that paved the way for GLBT rights. Highly recommended and added to my private collection!

• May 05, 2011