Attack of the 50 Foot Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman Reviews

½ May 17, 2016
A fetish film before anybody new fetish films existed.
April 27, 2016
This movie is hilarious! Half of the special effects are decent for 1958, the other half?! Bwahahahaha! I've watched this several times, I just LOVE it! Harry Archer is married to gorgeous Nancy, but she's an alcoholic, so he's planning to leave town soon with a girl in the local saloon! Pay close attention to the effects, and don't miss when the sheriff & the butler explore the spaceship! The diamonds distort their faces! So funny! The deputy thinks he's Robin, because he says, Holy Toledo! Giant rubber hand! A small doll that's supposed to be a full grown man! It's worth a look!
½ November 2, 2015
This movie quickly came about after the success of other size themed movies, mainly 'The Amazing Colossal Man' and the very successful 'The Incredible Shrinking Man'. As you can see, in order to mix things up a bit they made the main antagonist in this movie a woman. Alas they didn't really do much else to further this movie from the others, you can pretty much rule this off as an identically themed movie to the Colossal Man...but with a woman.

There are of course differences between the two movies, the biggest being this movie is virtually unexplained from the get go. The story starts off with a white sphere that lands on Earth, this rather bizarrely shaped spacecraft appears to contain a giant, a giant that attacks a lone woman in a car. Now this woman (Nancy Archer) is a wealthy lady with a creep for a husband (Harry) who is merely after her money, not only that, he flirts around with another woman at the local bar because apparently, who cares. Strange choice in women too because Nancy is by far the looker in the story, and she's loaded! win win! Unfortunately our protagonist also has drink and mental issues, so of course no one believes her giant story. Nevertheless after much shouting and arguing Nancy manages to get her husband to accompany her and go look for the alien craft. This leads to Nancy getting abducted by the huge giant and (after getting found later on the roof of her house) inexplicably growing to epic proportions...well 50 foot, obviously. Its then finally that Nancy realises what a shit her husband is and rampages off to get him.

So story is weak and unbelievably padded out. Most of the run time leading up to seeing the giant version of Nancy is merely dialog, lots of chat between Nancy and Harry as they bicker over their life in general, Harry scheming with his bit on the side in the bar and the goofy police as the comic relief. Aside from the marital issues that we keep having to trudge through, we do get the occasional scene that raised my interest levels somewhat. Of course things do get more intriguing when the sheriff and Nancy's butler Jess go off and find the alien craft, then venture inside to discover the alien may well be powering his craft with jewels. This is why the giant first attacked Nancy, because he wanted her precious diamond necklace...but why not just go to the local jewellery shop?

Now, the giant...wow! this movie really is the epitome of a low budget 1950'S sci-fi B-movie. You like crappy cheesy effects? voila! these have got to be some of the best around. First off the alien giant is nothing more than a big bald white guy, no mask, no mutations, no other-worldly features at all, just a bloke. Secondly, he appears to be wearing some kind of medieval costume, something that wouldn't look out of place during the Middle Ages in England. Now you could say that maybe, just maybe, this alien came from a planet and race that just happened to dress like that, some kind of uniform perhaps. But truthfully, I merely get the impression its just something that was picked up quickly because they obviously had no money and they just needed something that looked odd or different, it was probably a costume from another movie.

The highly amusing thing about all this are the optical effects used to create this giant and the giant Nancy later on. From what I can tell, it appears that a double exposure effect had been used to project large moving images of both actors against their backgrounds, one layered on top of the other. Unfortunately this hasn't worked too well, OK...the results are disastrous! Both performers appear transparent against their respective backgrounds at all times, they look like giant ghosts roaming the countryside, what's more, they aren't even that big looking. Towards the finale there are some models set up for Nancy to grab and destroy which does work much better, but its little too late I'm afraid, I don't understand why they didn't use models for all these shots, hell even if they were bad models it would still look better than having giant badly exposed ghosts walking around. Holy crapenspiel! don't even get me started on the big floppy, papier-mache hand effects that occur throughout, they were awesomely awesome.

The effects are just one problem amongst many though, nothing is really explained in this movie which is a problem, I wasn't expecting anything mind blowing here don't get me wrong, but its all so random. The alien craft comes to Earth for no real reason, accept maybe needing jewels to power his ship, but he lands in the middle of nowhere, surely he would know the best place to find jewels and isn't there any planet closer than ours??!!. Then he attacks a lone female purely because she has a big diamond? I mean, you can't find any other big jewels anywhere else?? Plus, why are you so big Mr alien? why is your craft a white sphere? has does that even work? how do jewels power it? why aren't you wearing some kind of space suit? can you survive on our planet without one? how do you fit inside your spacecraft?! Can someone also try explain to me exactly why Nancy grew into a giant, what did he do to her? how did Nancy fit in that bedroom when she had grown to her epic size? and why are these giants bulletproof? I'm going overboard here aren't I.

Now while all this sounds hilarious, and it is indeed, Its still very difficult to mark this movie up. Had there been much more giant action then the film would have been more fun, simple as that. The problem is, all we're left with here is a pretty dull sci-fi that only sparks to life towards the end, other than that the only decent scene is when the sheriff and Jess the butler find the alien craft, that's it. Its quite clear to see from the actors that no one really knew how to play all this, do they go all out and try to be serious with the material, or do they embrace the stupidity of it all and have fun. No one knows, some go with it, some don't, its all over the place, and what's worse is nothing makes any sense in the slightest. If you like bad effects then welcome to thunderdome baby, just don't expect anything else...like a good time.
August 25, 2015
Way better a movie than it gets credit for. Doesn't exactly justify its runtime, even at a lean 65 minutes (it'd have been best as a 30 min. short) but there's some striking visuals, and the character is actually quite sympathetic and interesting. It's basically a movie about someone with a substance abuse problem being taking advantage of by those around her. Very sad little film. But, like I said, shoulda just been a short, or an episode of something.
August 2, 2015
So, we get a story where an already struggling relationship gets even more problems when the lady of the house turn bigger than the house itself. An old cult-classic that's original and iconic if nothing else.

Cooler than fun, more interesting than good.

4 out of 10 z-cups.
May 30, 2015
A very good campy 1950's sci-fi classic. With bad special effects, the movie is truly the best of all human turned big films. The acting is okay. I really enjoyed watching this movie, it's a lot of fun!
½ January 18, 2015
Prefiero la versión de Daryl Hannah.
November 25, 2014
A well-known sci-fi classic on its topic in a level of a low budget film defining a B movie, but turns out to be far-fetched when got attack by total blandness and was left unresolved. You can probably say that a classic sci-fi topic was treated with somewhat nothingness. (B-)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
November 19, 2014
Actually saw this movie with my dad years ago as a little girl. As corny as it is, it's one of my favorites
½ November 19, 2014
one of the worse sci-fi pics
March 19, 2014
One of the greatest cult classic movies of all time. To this day, I'm not sure if some of it was supposed to be funny or not. Here's an example of 'great' dialogue. Doctor: She'll tear the whole town up until she finds Harry!" Deputy: "And then she'll tear up Harry!" Classic 50's shlock at it's best.
½ February 7, 2014
funny b / cult movie everyone should see at least once in their life
January 18, 2014
Hilarious concept, can't believe I haven't seen it yet, remember seeing artwork for it in my art teacher's class back in Elementary.
½ January 1, 2014
2 major problems... she was inside the house, where she was gigantic for a while before escaping. She could not, in any possible way, have fit inside. I understand it's not meant to be taken that seriously, but that's just mindless.

Oh, and what of the alien? Just kind of accept that this crazy beast is there, without a mention again.

Otherwise, it's actually entertaining & engaging.
December 31, 2013
This movie is a waste of time. The special effects are horrible, even for its' time. The action never actually starts untill the last ten minutes. At times Nancy appears transparent and at other times she isn't. And she seems to be 20 feet instead of fifty feet. And the aliens' makeup was terribble. It looked like a stitched up old man. Somehow she mutates to fifty feet tall and she can still fit in her room somehow and the walls for some strange reason never collapse. I am a huge fan of 50s' sci fi/ monstermovies but I don't think this movie is worth your time.
October 4, 2013
As goofy as its title suggests, "Attack of the 50 Foot Woman" is an interesting and really pretty entertaining bit of 1958 low-budget sci-fi gender discourse--a sort of return of the repressed for the 1950s housewife. It's troubling, deeply problematic stuff, but it's also fascinating.
July 23, 2013
For a monster flick the story is still surprisingly human. But the movie is cheesy and campy, and might be best for viewing under the influence.
May 19, 2013
bIT OF RUBBISH..was fairly exciting in the "OLDN" days
March 16, 2013
So bad it's good. The title giant is mostly represented by a giant puppet hand, some really bad superimposed images and, of course, the scantily clad Allison Hayes destroying very crude miniatures. The title and the poster are far more memorable than the film itself.
August 9, 2012
Might be successful to critics, but no one would actually like this. Parodies of this movie, would satisfy more people, than the movie could