Bad Company Reviews

• Jun 23, 2019

Wonky movie that stays entertaining, only slightly funny in my opinion.

Wonky movie that stays entertaining, only slightly funny in my opinion.

• Apr 12, 2019

Missing something but 2nd tier watchable. (Musical score could be better..and softer in spots!).

• Feb 23, 2019

One of the best and unjustly ignored films of its day. A beautiful revisionist Western. The non-pop song real version of Butch and Sundance. Gritty and beautiful cinematography. Two tremendous performances.

• Jul 04, 2018

Saw this when it 1st came out. Goddamn, I'm old. One of my favorite off-the-beaten path westerns of all time...

• Feb 13, 2017

I'm normally not a fan of the 70's revisionist or "acid" westerns because they normally just revel in their mire and "authenticity" and demythologizing the west in favor of making an interesting film. Bad Company is clearly a product of that era, but it escapes the traps that makes most of those movies a snore. The characters are great and the story is fun. We laugh at the lack of knowledge these young city guys have about all the stuff other gruff n tough guys in the western movies have known all their lives. The film has a lot to say about youthful inexperience in general. Also of importance, Gordon Willis (of The Godfather fame) does the cinematography here and it is worth the price of admission alone. This came out the same year The Godfather did, and that same super cool lighting technique is here in its entirety. It looks like a western Godfather. I kept saying it looked like The Godfather before I was even aware Willis had actually worked on it. Really superb work from him. Also, can't beat a good young Jeff Bridges performance!

• Sep 12, 2016

Written and directed by Robert Benton, Bad Company is about a goody two shoes kid who dodges the draft. He gets robbed by young con artist Jake (a young and good Jeff Bridges), and then they cross paths and fists again. This time Drew joins Jake and his little band of thieves, and they have misadventures while trying to get money, steal pies, and survive being found by the army. The movie can be brutal and poignant at times (rabbit scene), but overall the sum of its parts is weakened by the lead actor who isn't very strong or well developed. It had the potential to be more but falls short.

• Jul 27, 2015

Episodic adventures of a group of young men trying to escape and survive in a time of forced drafting for the civil war. It mainly focuses on the relationship between the two leads who come from different backgrounds but are ultimately in the same boat. Employing the usual western scenery without all the usual western trappings makes for an easy going, enjoyable film.

• May 20, 2015

good historical drama

good historical drama

• Jun 05, 2014

Great movie. Never seen it before but I really enjoyed it. Great acting and characters in it.

• Apr 27, 2014

The story is there but gets lost in a loose script. Decent cinematography but poor direction.