The Bad News Bears - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bad News Bears Reviews

September 15, 2017
its ok but i didnt like it. i watched this one and dazed and confused on the recommendation of tarantino. theyre both good films but not my style i suppose
July 9, 2017
Story about a horrible little league baseball team and their drunkard coach who doesn't want to coach them. Tchaikovsky is an excellent touch. Matthau is brilliant. But its the direction by Ritchie that makes this movie one of my all time favorites.
June 7, 2017
Hell of a good time. Personally one of my favorite comedy's. You won't ever see a film like this in 2017 or probably ever again. Side note Buttermaker is one of my favorite scum bags ever in film.
May 26, 2017
This is a pure classic. This movie is full of laughter and fun. It may be rude, profane, and can be offensive, but it's all in a hilarious way. This movie is highly entertaining and is a good baseball movie. I can't really decide if either this or sandlot is better, but I feel like sandlot really borrowed some things from this movie. Overall this is a great movie, maybe not for the whole family, but it is highly enjoyable for anyone this movie is pitching for. A+
December 27, 2016
A great coming of age movie!
½ August 30, 2016
This set the template for movies about sports. The team is not very good, but all the characters learn a lesson.
½ May 24, 2016
A classic, it would never get made nowadays in this PC world we live in. No need to watch the remake, it's horrible!
½ May 2, 2016
If I ever wanted to know what it was like to live in the 70s, I think the Bad News Bears explains the times. In our politically correct world, it's actually shocking to see a true alcoholic coaching a kids soccer team. And then there's the alcoholic berating the team before the film finishes. And the coach on the other team actually hits one of the kids across the face while his mom looks on. The big finisher of the film is when the losing kids take the field loaded with alcohol from their coach and tell the other team where they can shove their statue. And this is a family comedy? Not being easily offended, I had a good time watching this team of misfits, but I don't think it would play well with today's audience.
½ September 1, 2015
"Jews, spics, niggers, and now a girl?!?"
½ August 16, 2015
There are countless movies try to repackage this movie, but nothing matches the original. It involves a team full of misfit, and rejects lead by a reluctant coach who is a self-loathing drunk. They discover an unwanted talented star that carries their team against the odds. The protective remakes or carbon copies do not match up because most of them are as bold and real as this. These kids are not just sweetheart wimpy kids who make you sympathize with them. They are the real, foul-mouthed, angry, kids picked last in gym class. Walter Mathau is excellent as the drunken former minor-league player and now the worst coach ever. Against the odds, the deadbeat coach finds himself identifying with the team of rejects. He tries to be hands-off but finds himself caring about them. The coach means well as he tries to stand up for them and make them better. It is funny, because the character does so without shedding his thorny behavior and flaws. As adults often do, he cares too much about getting their kids to win. He transforms into a competitive drill sergeant who cares nothing for his players and just wants to win. It weaves comedy into messy and dysfunctional social issues. Sometimes it is not funny; it is just mean. It is more about the evolution of the character. This is more than getting kids to believe in themselves; it is about destructive adults trying to prove something by winning. Unlike numerous knock-offs, this works on multiple levels and delivers a comedy that adults will appreciate more than kids.
½ July 21, 2015
Very creative, finally the main team doesn't win, which was very different and I like that, great movie.
June 24, 2015
I watched this because Quentin Tarantino listed it as one of his 10 greatest films but I have to believe it resonates with him in particular because he saw it during his formative years and not because it is any kind of a true cinematic masterpiece. Apparently it was a blockbuster when it came out and perhaps it spoke to its time in a way which is impossible to recover. All I saw was a comically pathetic loser hired to coach a group of kids who didn't fit into any existing baseball teams in their league. They do better than anyone expects them to (after a hilariously pathetic start to their season) and the always-drinking-and-smoking coach has them celebrate with a round of beers. I guess there is a certain underdog charm but it seemed like a pretty standard sports movie to me.
June 19, 2015
Not the best baseball film but very funny
May 12, 2015
This film has true grit from 70s.
April 4, 2015
Good movie, but to me..."The Sandlot" is the one to beat in this genre and The Bad News Bears doesn't accomplish that. The kids' acting was better than in the remake, the manager/coach was well played, and the story is tied nicely. 6/10
½ January 3, 2015
It has some funny parts but didn't totally hold up for me. this could never be made today with all the cursing and racial sluts coming from kids. O' neal is one of the best child actresses you will ever see.
½ December 14, 2014
A pretty course kids sports film. There was a lot in this film that would keep it off the kids shelf in the video shop, but ultimately, it should have been a kids film, as it wasn't funny enough for adults and the messages that it gave across would be best aimed at kids, obviously they'd have to cut the alcohol abuse and the bad language, and the racist jokes shouldn't have been in there in the first place.
December 11, 2014
Matthau and O'Neal team up for one of the funniest sports movies made. This is a movie about adults trying to live out there childhood dreams of playing pro sports. Win at all cost. But this movie has a heart and Matthau gives one of his best performances.
November 4, 2014
Although slightly dated in places its still has a good humour feel to it that the remake clearly doesn't as this ragtag kids baseball outfit benefits from the coaching of a beer swilling chain smoking ex baseball player