The Bad News Bears - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Bad News Bears Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
This set the template for movies about sports. The team is not very good, but all the characters learn a lesson.
½ May 24, 2016
A classic, it would never get made nowadays in this PC world we live in. No need to watch the remake, it's horrible!
½ May 2, 2016
If I ever wanted to know what it was like to live in the 70s, I think the Bad News Bears explains the times. In our politically correct world, it's actually shocking to see a true alcoholic coaching a kids soccer team. And then there's the alcoholic berating the team before the film finishes. And the coach on the other team actually hits one of the kids across the face while his mom looks on. The big finisher of the film is when the losing kids take the field loaded with alcohol from their coach and tell the other team where they can shove their statue. And this is a family comedy? Not being easily offended, I had a good time watching this team of misfits, but I don't think it would play well with today's audience.
½ September 1, 2015
"Jews, spics, niggers, and now a girl?!?"
½ August 16, 2015
There are countless movies try to repackage this movie, but nothing matches the original. It involves a team full of misfit, and rejects lead by a reluctant coach who is a self-loathing drunk. They discover an unwanted talented star that carries their team against the odds. The protective remakes or carbon copies do not match up because most of them are as bold and real as this. These kids are not just sweetheart wimpy kids who make you sympathize with them. They are the real, foul-mouthed, angry, kids picked last in gym class. Walter Mathau is excellent as the drunken former minor-league player and now the worst coach ever. Against the odds, the deadbeat coach finds himself identifying with the team of rejects. He tries to be hands-off but finds himself caring about them. The coach means well as he tries to stand up for them and make them better. It is funny, because the character does so without shedding his thorny behavior and flaws. As adults often do, he cares too much about getting their kids to win. He transforms into a competitive drill sergeant who cares nothing for his players and just wants to win. It weaves comedy into messy and dysfunctional social issues. Sometimes it is not funny; it is just mean. It is more about the evolution of the character. This is more than getting kids to believe in themselves; it is about destructive adults trying to prove something by winning. Unlike numerous knock-offs, this works on multiple levels and delivers a comedy that adults will appreciate more than kids.
½ July 21, 2015
Very creative, finally the main team doesn't win, which was very different and I like that, great movie.
June 24, 2015
I watched this because Quentin Tarantino listed it as one of his 10 greatest films but I have to believe it resonates with him in particular because he saw it during his formative years and not because it is any kind of a true cinematic masterpiece. Apparently it was a blockbuster when it came out and perhaps it spoke to its time in a way which is impossible to recover. All I saw was a comically pathetic loser hired to coach a group of kids who didn't fit into any existing baseball teams in their league. They do better than anyone expects them to (after a hilariously pathetic start to their season) and the always-drinking-and-smoking coach has them celebrate with a round of beers. I guess there is a certain underdog charm but it seemed like a pretty standard sports movie to me.
June 19, 2015
Not the best baseball film but very funny
May 12, 2015
This film has true grit from 70s.
April 4, 2015
Good movie, but to me..."The Sandlot" is the one to beat in this genre and The Bad News Bears doesn't accomplish that. The kids' acting was better than in the remake, the manager/coach was well played, and the story is tied nicely. 6/10
½ January 3, 2015
It has some funny parts but didn't totally hold up for me. this could never be made today with all the cursing and racial sluts coming from kids. O' neal is one of the best child actresses you will ever see.
½ December 14, 2014
A pretty course kids sports film. There was a lot in this film that would keep it off the kids shelf in the video shop, but ultimately, it should have been a kids film, as it wasn't funny enough for adults and the messages that it gave across would be best aimed at kids, obviously they'd have to cut the alcohol abuse and the bad language, and the racist jokes shouldn't have been in there in the first place.
December 11, 2014
Matthau and O'Neal team up for one of the funniest sports movies made. This is a movie about adults trying to live out there childhood dreams of playing pro sports. Win at all cost. But this movie has a heart and Matthau gives one of his best performances.
November 4, 2014
Although slightly dated in places its still has a good humour feel to it that the remake clearly doesn't as this ragtag kids baseball outfit benefits from the coaching of a beer swilling chain smoking ex baseball player
½ September 23, 2014
Morris Buttermaker (Walter Matthau) begrudgingly decides to coach a little league team that is without a doubt the worst team in the league. With no skills, team play or he has his work out for him and couldn't care less as long as he has beers at his side. After a 26-0 forfeit loss though all of that changes as he decides to show the kids they are worth something. Bad New Bears is a great movie about the value of sports, the life lessons it teaches, and the bonds that are made between people when playing. It also can depict some of the awful aspects and when things go wrong and things are taken too far. The film is easily controversial given the cursing, drinking and all of this around kids, and features some gut wrenching scenes, this movie could never be made today. Bad News Bears may not be the best aged movie, but it clearly is a create sports movie that set the standards for many of them to come.
September 14, 2014
Classic drunken 1 liners
September 1, 2014
Holy crap the 2005 one was a remake? Nice
August 16, 2014
(First viewing - Teen years)
July 15, 2014
"The Bad News Bears" is entertaining but it just has too much language to be a family movie. I have a vivid childhood memory of sitting down to watch this film (since we LOVED "The Mighty Ducks") and having to turn it off because it was too crass for children. It's a shame because the language does not add to the plot or characterization. It would be easy to represent this motley crew through their lack of skill and immaturity. Then, if you saved the swearing for Kelly Leak, it would only require two or three swear words and the cigarettes to paint his bad boy image. I actually think that the language of the other characters detracts from his image. If they all swear, he doesn't seem quite as bad. As an adult, I felt like it wasn't intended for me but I still enjoyed it. Walter Matthau is great in this grumpy role but the true star is Tatum O'Neal. She adds the human element, insecure about being a tomboy but having no reservations about sticking it to the boys. The story evolves in a way that you really do care about these underdogs and want to see them succeed. While I much prefer "The Mighty Ducks," this is a good film for baseball fans.
June 28, 2014
Quentin Tarantino listed it in his top ten films of all time. Eh, it would take an incredible stretch of the imagination to make that list. It's an enjoyable comedy with the great Walter Matthau. He has been involved with one or two of the greatest films of all time. This isn't one of them.